Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    My daughter has given an idea, why can't we have both screens on both sides of the mobile. One side you can talk or some activity and other side play games.
    08-15-19 09:14 AM
    My daughter has given an idea, why can't we have both screens on both sides of the mobile. One side you can talk or some activity and other side play games.
    It's been played with by some OEMs.... think Huawei had some mock ups recently (not with a PKB).

Cost is the main issue, is it something that consumers would pay extra for?

Which side gets what cameras? Which side has the speakers and mics? Which side gets laid down on a surface?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-15-19 10:31 AM
    The cams and speakers can be arranged but that would not be a challenge. The real challenge is the cost and I think for a mobile with back to back screens it would definitely boost productivity and cost might not be a real challenge. But I believe it's worth the try.
    08-15-19 11:04 AM
    I only need a phone for one-headed use.
    CrackPriv likes this.
    08-15-19 11:17 AM
    The cams and speakers can be arranged but that would not be a challenge. The real challenge is the cost and I think for a mobile with back to back screens it would definitely boost productivity and cost might not be a real challenge. But I believe it's worth the try.
    Like I said it's been kicked around (and patented) a little... 100% it could be done.

The question is if it would be a viable product... I doubt it, especially if your wanting a PKB on one side. Some of the new folding phones will allow you to have a display on both sides, but not sure how it really will work. But I haven't seen on yet that is rumored to be in my price range...
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-15-19 01:37 PM
    I've heard people suggest screens on both sides for years. My question is wtf? Do these people actually use cell phones?

It's really a useless idea, and always has been.

You're only looking at one side at a time anyway. What's the point of the other side being a screen too? Besides, your palm will be touching who-knows-what icon while you're looking at and working the other side.

Okay, so you might say the other side, call it side 2, is inactive while you're looking at side 1.

Then what?

Flip it over?

Now you have an "active" side 2, while side 1 goes "inactive".

What does that solve that just switching to the other app ON THE SAME SCREEN doesn't already do?

A two sided phone just doubles your chance of a cracked/broken screen if you drop it. You have to fumble with it to flip it over. You can't put a case on it because now both sides needs to be uncovered.

Usability will be greatly complicated with this idea, and solve nothing in the process.
    Smokeaire and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-15-19 03:19 PM
    Yota phone makes devices with two screens. One is a normal screen whilst the secondary screen is a grayscale screen like the screens on ereaders (Kindle Kobo devices).
    elfabio80 and Bbnivende like this.
    08-15-19 04:49 PM
    Yota Phone. Concept just never took off, now its a dustbin relic in the museum of smartphones.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    08-15-19 05:03 PM
    #cuzwecan

Posted via CB10
    08-15-19 05:14 PM
    #cuzwecan

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I guess so. A screen is only useful if there are eyes looking at it.

So two identical screens on opposite sides of a phone doesn’t seem useful at all. Unless the phone unfolds into one larger screen.
    mh1983 and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-15-19 05:57 PM
    Yeah I guess so. A screen is only useful if there are eyes looking at it.

So two identical screens on opposite sides of a phone doesn’t seem useful at all. Unless the phone unfolds into one larger screen.
    The clam shells with a small notification screen also kinda made sense...
    As you said a phone that turns into a table makes sense....
    A phone with two sides - just to have two sides, is a Novelty item. An expensive one at that....

Big Screen with a Keyboard... a slider would be the better option than having two sides to the phone.... sadly also an expensive novelty item at this point.
    08-16-19 07:33 AM
    I dunno....Blackberry among other things, is about the security....a two faced phone might not go over well.
    08-16-19 07:46 AM
    Obviously this idea needs a little refinement....maybe what he meant was a two sided keyboard a la Passport. That way you can give your thumbs a rest while writing that 'novel' idea and type on the back keyboard with all your opposing digits, with a nod to repetitive strain injuries. BlackBerry can then jump into the foray of Health Care with both hands.

(Also maybe he was extrapolating on the idea of the head less app).
    08-16-19 07:53 AM
    Ahhhhh but which hand?.........LOL
    08-16-19 11:15 AM
    In a world overdominated by slabs, the last thing we need is another glass screen on a phone...
    08-16-19 11:32 AM
    Hey wait a minute....on second thought he might be on to something....this is how blackberry could go-fund itself.....sell ad .space exclusively on the opposite side, so that everyone else sees it -not you. Become the new google of the ad world, while keeping your phone private. Now if only we can get users to hold their phones upright all the time...this could work....wait...use the gyro and give the users credit when they are holding their phones upright ...especially in packed transit buses/streetcars/subways. Man now that is novel. The camera can even count how many eyes looked at the ad. Send this script to John Chan asap....or mike or thorsten or jim.

(or maybe a spiral notebook design to solve the upright and fingers on the back problem)
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 08-17-19 at 09:41 AM.
    08-16-19 12:51 PM
    ....maybe this could start a whole new cultural trend...people looking up from their own phones, ahem because someone else ('s phone ) caught their attention. Anyone remember the Les Miserables song? Look down look down, don't look em in the eye.....

okay, okay the paperwhite greyscale for crisp reading,eye fatigue full sun advantages, and the other side regular smartphone screen, not a bad idea, not sure how many would be willing to shill out for that. Plus form factor, e-readers generally have bigger screens, but a playbook dimensioned foldable phone with this feature might be saleable, but hard to compete given the inexpensive e-readers thermselves.
    Said it was 500, but looks like 1,000 on amazon.

Hey maybe BB can just build a paperwhite phone alone that pairs exactly to one of their key phones (same number, same imei, same app configs) phone (for outside,long use, professional eyes, the beach etc...but obviously not for gaming given the nature of paper-white like screens...except maybe that old playbook pencil in game scribbles or something).
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 08-17-19 at 10:03 AM.
    08-16-19 11:18 PM