Note 3 is looking a very powerful device.....will the Z30 be able to compete with it letz hope so :P

Posted via CB 10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    09-04-13 01:07 PM
    Your Thoughts ppl?

09-04-13 01:09 PM
    It wont compete on specs no. but then I don't think they ever planned to.
    09-04-13 01:10 PM
    on a spec sheet not a chance. Its not even the same market really
    09-04-13 01:11 PM
    Price it cheap, and I mean CHEAP, and BB might stand a chance at selling a million units during the launch quarter, just as long as 10.2 really knocks the socks off people.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    09-04-13 01:15 PM
    Yeah I know specs don't matter....cuz of the different platforms....
    I mean as a device I would like to see it compete......

GadgetTravel likes this.
    09-04-13 01:16 PM
    It's not the spec that is the concern, it's the marketing firepower that's the problem - the Z30 will launch against apple and Samsung spending hundreds of millions launching and advertising their new phones, then samsung will be spending many more hundreds of millions of millions on promotional materials and then even more more in co-funding with carriers. Yhen in the second tier - Nokia will also be spending big on their new releases around the same time Then you have minor players like Sony also trying to launch and spending big.

Meanwhile Heins will be at an earnings call talking about how he has no debt and has managed to hoard cash.
    09-04-13 01:44 PM
    It's not the spec that is the concern, it's the marketing firepower that's the problem - the Z30 will launch against apple and Samsung spending hundreds of millions launching and advertising their new phones, then samsung will be spending many more hundreds of millions of millions on promotional materials and then even more more in co-funding with carriers. Yhen in the second tier - Nokia will also be spending big on their new releases around the same time Then you have minor players like Sony also trying to launch and spending big.

Meanwhile Heins will be at an earnings call talking about how he has no debt and has managed to hoard cash.
    exactly, `we have $3bn` sounds great only because we don't hear the `and we aren't gonna spend it on marketing` under his voice haha.

They know advertising was their weak spot, they know they have a lot of cash. why they haven't put 1 and 1 together and reached 2 yet is beyond me
    09-04-13 01:50 PM
    I think that the only fair response to this would be after the Z30 is officially announced, so that we know what it will actually have.

At this point, I think that the two devices are aimed at somewhat different audiences. Even if the Z30 has a five-inch screen, that is far enough from 5.7" that I think that most people would consider this difference to be big enough to put them in separate classes. There's also still a level of OS preference polarization out there that prevents people from jumping platforms on a large scale.

That said, I don't know how well the Z30 will do. While I do see some posters that seem to want a larger device, it seems like more people think that anything over 4.5" is too big.
    fanisk likes this.
    09-04-13 01:51 PM
    Price it cheap, and I mean CHEAP, and BB might stand a chance at selling a million units during the launch quarter, just as long as 10.2 really knocks the socks off people.
    Not just the Note 3, it'll have the next iPhone and the Xperia Z1 to compete against. Plus the cheaper iPhone is arriving to do battle at the low end.

It'd be tough.
    09-04-13 01:52 PM
    Z30 will miss the HARDWARE superiority,but still for fluid OS functionality i personally feel it will win after 10.2 update
    09-04-13 01:55 PM
    Note 3:

Quad-Core Snapdragon 800 @ 2.3Ghz
    3GB RAM
    5.7" 1080p screen
    13MP camera

Z30:

Dual-Core Snapdragon Pro @ 1.7Ghz
    2GB RAM
    5" 720p screen
    8MP camera

Even money that the Z30 will be more expensive.
    09-04-13 01:59 PM
    Z30 will miss the HARDWARE superiority,but still for fluid OS functionality i personally feel it will win after 10.2 update
    By "win" do you mean you believe the Z30 will outsell the Note 3? If that's the case..... WOW....
    09-04-13 02:01 PM
    HAHAHAHAHA! thanks for the laugh.
    Now, I'm not laughing at you. I respect you. I laugh at the fact that BlackBerry would never do such thing.

I love the brand, but seriously, yesterday's specs at tomorrow's price.
    fanisk and MarsupilamiX like this.
    09-04-13 02:19 PM
    Seriously - why do people keep saying specs don't matter? Of course they do. Better is better. The insane notion that BB could program the OS to be more fluid and have the same apps act similarly on half the power of a similarly priced device is well -insane. Ludicrous. Does video card A with half the VRAM clocked at a slower speed than card B play games the same? No. Does a pickup without a hemi tow as well as a truck with a hemi. Hey does Lexus with wood grain dash and leather interior perform better than a Hyudai without wood grain and leather? Nope, but if priced the same, Hyudai is out of business. In a world where smartphones are releasing with quad cores clocked over 2ghz, 1080p screens and aluminum bodies, the 720P plastic bodied Z30 is clearly outmatched and outclassed. IF it tries to compete in that market. Which they will. Because BB either has not figured out how to make a top tier device or feel that it should get a Porsche label and cost in the thousands.
    09-04-13 02:35 PM
    My first posy here. I figured I would add my 2 cents. The hardware specs aren't a concern for me as my Z10 is more fluid and faster then my friends GS4 and on par with the iphone 5 for speed and fluidity. Hardware is half the story. Software completes it. I do believe that BB10 is more efficient and optimized then android. I think this more than makes up for the hardware.

Too bad carrier reps use the BS spec comparison to push the phones they prefer.
    09-04-13 02:54 PM
    on a spec sheet not a chance. Its not even the same market really
    Agreed , what ( howmart ) he said
    09-04-13 02:55 PM
    Not a chance. Z30 doesn't have applications.
    09-04-13 03:01 PM

I'd Also Add Googles Nexus 5 to that list. They just announced it and are partnered with KITKAT to promote the next Upgrade of the Android OS.

" Google has worked with Nestle and Hershey, the makers of the chocolatey and crunchy candy bar, to go even further. Nestle will make a number of Android-themed Kit Kat bars. They even made this website to promote it. "
    "According to the company, more than 50 million specially branded chocolate bars will be available in 19 markets, including the U.S, U.K, Canada and the Middle East. When you buy the bar, you will be able to enter to win Google prizes, including the Nexus 7 tablet. According to Nestle's press release, they will also make a limited number of robot-shaped bars. Just like a real-life Willy Wonka. "

The Nexus 5 is going to be a major contender and will further worry Apple and maybe even samsung.

Android 4.4 Kit Kat: Google Teams Up with Nestle on the Name of the Next Version of Its Mobile Software - ABC News
    All over the Web news and even on TV. Too many other to list.

This is EXACTLY what BB should have been doing all along instead of signing people like Alecia Keys. At least , I think so. More exposure then anything Alecia Keys did for BB. 50 million ,19 markets..... I mean come on TH, really ? No one at BB marketing dept was thinking ?
    09-04-13 03:04 PM
    Seriously - why do people keep saying specs don't matter? Of course they do. Better is better. The insane notion that BB could program the OS to be more fluid and have the same apps act similarly on half the power of a similarly priced device is well -insane. Ludicrous. Does video card A with half the VRAM clocked at a slower speed than card B play games the same? No. Does a pickup without a hemi tow as well as a truck with a hemi. Hey does Lexus with wood grain dash and leather interior perform better than a Hyudai without wood grain and leather? Nope, but if priced the same, Hyudai is out of business. In a world where smartphones are releasing with quad cores clocked over 2ghz, 1080p screens and aluminum bodies, the 720P plastic bodied Z30 is clearly outmatched and outclassed. IF it tries to compete in that market. Which they will. Because BB either has not figured out how to make a top tier device or feel that it should get a Porsche label and cost in the thousands.
    Hey I use to have a Pickup with a Hemi it was a beast but my new one without a Hemi is actually much better for everything. My Cummins engine has less horse power so most people would say it isn't as powerful a Hemi too bad the Cummins has more then double the torque (and torgue is what is needed to move the vehicle). Since torque is more important in a pickup then horsepower the Cummins takes it. (yes horsepower is important but pick up trucks are meant to haul load and you need torque for that)

The same can be said for smartphones. Hardware (horsepower) is important but not as important as software (torque). The software runs the phone and if it can not take advantage of the hardware well it doesnt matter homany cores you have your performance is limmited by the software. This needs to be considered too since android is good for running on one, two or fours cores but, it isn't amazing at running on duel cores like BB10 and ios. and to digress into software a bit android requires hundreds of thousand lines of code while BB10 only requires tens of thousands to do the same things.

PS the naked eye cannot tell the difference in a 720p screen and 1080p sreen at that size. the resolution of a GS4 sreen looks the same as the iphone 5, and the Z10 has a better screen then the iphone 5.
    BBPandy and toobs623 like this.
    09-04-13 03:09 PM
    Not just the Note 3, it'll have the next iPhone and the Xperia Z1 to compete against. Plus the cheaper iPhone is arriving to do battle at the low end.

It'd be tough.
    Googles next Nexus 5 will hurt more then Samsungs Note 3 just google Google KitKat

BBC News - Android KitKat unveiled in Google surprise move
    09-04-13 03:13 PM
    What are you basing this on? BB10 has already demonstrated that it can't perform as well with similar hardware specs.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    09-04-13 03:20 PM
    Note 3 vs Z30-smaug-art-final1-copy.jpg
    nalin909, cgk, Bilaal and 5 others like this.
    09-04-13 03:20 PM
    Assuming it ever makes it to market, the Z30 will only have a 5" screen, and no S Pen. That's exactly S4 territory. So wrong competitor. If you could call it a competition.
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    09-04-13 03:23 PM
    Haha :P

09-04-13 03:24 PM
134 123 ...