I have been around for a couple of years but don't remember ever posting. So here is my so called dilemma. I had a Curve 8330, then upgraded to a Style 9670 about 1.5 years ago. The style was so slick I kept dropping it. Finally broke near the hinge. Really the front and rear of the right side of the phone. I was able to glue it back together and it worked great. I then dropped it again in November and once I did a battery pull it never came back on. So I went back to my Curve 8330. I am with Sprint and I don't plan on changing that. I have until Sept 1 before my upgrade comes available. I also want to get a tablet. After all the background here it is.

I was pretty sure I was going to go with the iphone iS4 and get an ipad. A couple of weeks ago I started looking at the playbook online and some of the Sprint Blackbery phones. I that the Bold 9930 and the Torch 9860 were nice phones. I also was reading a lot about the PB. With the prices on the PB as they are I am still trying to get one and the future looks realy good for the PB and the phone to sync and integrate seemlessly together, plus the bridging thing is just awesome I think. I don't play many games at all. I have a Nook that I love for reading. Nook doesn't have an app for any Blackbery except I guess on Verizon. I don't play any games but both my kinds have ipads and I have played around with theirs. I would probably get a few games. I have never really used my phone for anything other than calls, and texting. I do use it at football season to get score updates while I am out of the house. I think part of this is the phones capablilites. I am starting to use the calender now. I got Evernote and have started using it. I can tweet from it as well. So I am starting to use it more.

I am wondering if I should stay with BB now or maybe go another route. Don't have to go with Apple, could go Samsung and Android, or get a Windows phone. Or maybe wait for the BB10 phones to come out. The only problem with that is they will probably not come out on time and I would be stuck with the 8330 for a lot longer and I would like to get a phone that I can get OS5 on so I can use the bridge feature. I just don't like spending a lot on phones. On mine and my wifes last 4 phones combined we have spent less than $100, (2 Curve 8330, and 2 Style 9670). I don't want to buy a phone now with cash that will run $300 to $400 just to upgrade in September. I think the BB10 phone and PB will be one heck of a combo. I have options, guess I would just like some opinions.
    02-18-12 01:21 PM
    If you don't want to spend a lot of cash then the Bold + playbook combo is the way to go. I got my Bold 9900 for free in a 3 year commitment and Playbook for $199. My devices are bridged so both devices have internet when I'm away from home. Enough contracts!

Also if you look at what's to come, RIM has the most to offer. Apple has Siri which is a flop. They don't even advertise it and lately they seem to be after K-12 with their books business. Android has nice devices, but if it goes closed source, then Samsung and HTC will look elsewhere.

BB10 will be expensive at first and not every carrier will have them on day one.
    02-18-12 01:43 PM
    Put os5 on your 8330. I did the same for my work phone. We r still waiting for the upgrade handset from our service provider. It will work with bridge. This way u can wait for bb10 with out spending your upgrade money.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    02-18-12 01:48 PM
    Before you even think of a playbook, consider the apps you would like... If it is a toy, get the KF instead..if you ahve need for specific apps, take a look.

I dislike Apple products and waited for the Playbook, to realise it is a Ferrari without ignition keys, while there is a glut of useful apps for the iPad such as GPS navigation with turn/turn directions, Skype, texting apps, Marine navigations apps..

I am ready to upgrade my phone.. with only one contact left on BBM i was stuck in the rut of "I want a physical keyboard".. well on a 4.3-4.5" screen i typed faster on Galaxy SII at bestbuy today faster than i can on my bold...I was stunned so now i have to think whether i wish to purchase a 9930 with an obsolete os or simply go android... the iphone with 3.5" screen has no attraction whatsoever.
    02-18-12 02:01 PM
    If you don't want to spend a lot of cash then the Bold + playbook combo is the way to go. I got my Bold 9900 for free in a 3 year commitment and Playbook for $199. My devices are bridged so both devices have internet when I'm away from home. Enough contracts!

Also if you look at what's to come, RIM has the most to offer. Apple has Siri which is a flop. They don't even advertise it and lately they seem to be after K-12 with their books business. Android has nice devices, but if it goes closed source, then Samsung and HTC will look elsewhere.

BB10 will be expensive at first and not every carrier will have them on day one.
    Not trying to start a flame war here, but c'mon...

Apple - iPhone - Videos

Five Siri ads on that page alone (two of which are pretty actively running on TV right now).
    02-18-12 02:09 PM
    I think the Bold 9900 would suit your needs perfectly. You like to text and the physical keyboard is great for that

Really, the best phone to pair with the playbook is a BB. iToy and and(hem)roid phones can only provide a wireless hotspot

The playbook has the next gen OS (QNX) so you wouldn't be completely 'missing-out' on the BB10 experience
    02-18-12 05:44 PM
    Before you even think of a playbook, consider the apps you would like... If it is a toy, get the KF instead..if you ahve need for specific apps, take a look.

I dislike Apple products and waited for the Playbook, to realise it is a Ferrari without ignition keys, while there is a glut of useful apps for the iPad such as GPS navigation with turn/turn directions, Skype, texting apps, Marine navigations apps..

I am ready to upgrade my phone.. with only one contact left on BBM i was stuck in the rut of "I want a physical keyboard".. well on a 4.3-4.5" screen i typed faster on Galaxy SII at bestbuy today faster than i can on my bold...I was stunned so now i have to think whether i wish to purchase a 9930 with an obsolete os or simply go android... the iphone with 3.5" screen has no attraction whatsoever.

Sound like u knew already what u want. No need to bash bb os.

02-18-12 05:56 PM
    Here is a brand new curve 9330 foir sprint on ebay for $95 off contract with bb5. You can get this and the when bb10 phones come out at the end of the year you will still be upgrade eligible and get one then at contract pricing.

And here is a PlayBook 16gb refurb at best buy for $169.

Here are the links!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=15702485963

BlackBerry - Refurbished PlayBook Tablet with 16GB Memory - Black - RF-BBYM12EG - Best Buy
    02-18-12 06:31 PM
    I went thru Craiglist midway thru my contract to get a 9930. If something OS 6 would tide you over, I would bet you could find one cheap, and unlike eBay you could both inspect it in person and have the local store check it over to verify for water damage, clear ESN and etc.
    I've been with Verizon, so I don't know what phone options you have on Sprint, but take the Bold 9650 for example; goes on CL here usually for under $125. I see Storm2's around $80.

If my advice would matter, I would say go the Craigslist route. That'll tide you over until BB10. May find PBs on there too
    02-19-12 07:44 AM
    I have an iPhone 4S and love it. I use Siri at least 20 times a day. She reads my texts, composes emails, reports, schedules appointments, makes calls, schedules reminders, tells me weather and stock information, and a host of other things. I do not miss my BB and find the comment that Siri is a flop, pretty funny. Like the PB and the BB OS7 devices are/were huge hits

Just a guess but I bet Apple has probably sold more iPhone 4S units than RIM has sold tablets and OS7 devices combined. Siri and the camera are the main distinction between iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, so I would hardly call Siri a flop.
    02-19-12 08:18 AM
    Try em all and get what works for you.
    Mystic205 likes this.
    02-19-12 08:39 AM
    I am not bashing anything when I say it's all about the apps/content.

FYI a new BB today has an obsolescent o.s. And that is a simple fact..

Sound like u knew already what u want. No need to bash bb os.

02-19-12 09:16 AM
    I am not bashing anything when I say it's all about the apps/content.

OK, we know what it is all about for you. As for the OP I dunno.
    02-19-12 09:31 AM
    lol, +1 (10char)

As for the OP I dunno.
    02-19-12 12:24 PM
    I appreciate all the replys so far.

I have had a BB for the last 5 to 6 years. The only smartphone I have ever owned. I have never used BBM. My wife and I are the only BB owners in our respective families. I have a work BB but when we got them we were not supposed to text. Were told that we could but everyone still just seems to snd emails. Very limited on what we can do at work. Can't download any apps, no web browsing.

So I hvae been researching. The Samsung Galaxy SII Epic for spint looks like a really nice phone with a pretty stable OS. I like the way you can get around in it. Most responses to typing on the full touchscreen are very good. Samsung makes a tablet, a very good tablet but not sure how well it intigrates with the phone. A much more expensive tablet as well.

The iphone 4s is looks good also. For what siri can do, I think I would use it a lot for things like note taking, texting, emails, weather, setting appointments. I am sure it will get better. No expansion slot sucks period. Everyone knows about the ipad. Syncs well with the phone. But a very expensive table especially for a 16GB with no expansion slot.

Blackberry I am used to. I even tried a an HTC and something else before we got our Styles. I stuck with the BB. I am a litle worried that BB is losing a lot of market share. I keep hearing about how much behind everyone RIM is. If what folks are says is true, then I think the future is great for RIM. I love what looks to be seemless integration between the phone and the tablet. I love the bridge feature. Again apps seems to be a big deal. I would probably use my phone more if I had more apps. But hopefully they are coming.

So I still have plenty of time. Would love to take advantage of the price on a 64GB PB. Geesh $299. No one even comes close to that. If I could somehow get it ordered before the 21 my phone decision would be made. Well at least I would know I was staying with BB. For some reason I think the BB10 with the PB will have a dramatic effect on the market. With the US Division coming this should help them. Seems like they are a little behind but starting to get things going in the right direction.
    02-19-12 12:52 PM
    So does every Android, with Android 5 on its way. And every iPad is about to go the same route, with the iPad 3 coming out. And will the iPhone 5 come with a new OS, making the current one "obsolete"?

Obsolete doesn't mean unusable...
    02-19-12 12:53 PM
    So does every Android, with Android 5 on its way. And every iPad is about to go the same route, with the iPad 3 coming out. And will the iPhone 5 come with a new OS, making the current one "obsolete"?

Obsolete doesn't mean unusable...
    i think he means that os7 is a dead end. it wont be getting any updates for future support, bb10 is the future.
    02-19-12 10:48 PM
    The immediate problem is that BB10 phones aren't expected until late 2012, and with RIM's history of missing deadlines, possibly later than that. In the meantime OS7 is languishing with fewer apps than OS6 had. So from the standpoint of apps, OS7 seems to be something of a "dead zone", and we don't know what the developer response to BB10 will be. If the BB10 platform lives up to its promise, it should get the developers excited, but you just never know.

You might have a look at WP. I have a WP device as a "secondary" phone, and I have to say that Microsoft has done a good job. The UI is very smooth, even on a single core processor, and battery life is good, at least on my HTC Radar. Microsoft is going to great lengths to court developers, and apps are appearing at a pretty good clip--also updates to existing apps, which is a good sign of sustained developer interest.

Microsoft wants to be a contender in the mobile market. Before they can take on Android or iOS, they have to fight RIM for third place. At the moment they're way behind RIM, but they seem to be taking it seriously, and they have time to improve WP before BB10 is even out of the gate.

Personally, I'm hoping that BB10 will indeed give BB the much needed surge. In the meantime, I'd say that WP is worth a look if, for whatever reason, you're not thrilled with iPhone or Android.
    02-20-12 07:27 AM
    i think he means that os7 is a dead end. it wont be getting any updates for future support, bb10 is the future.
    I don't believe that's true. I think the BB7 devices will be around for a while. There are many markets where they will still be popular. Just like the older offerings from other platforms.
    02-20-12 12:10 PM
    I hate contracts, so I have bought several phones off ebay. my last three BBs and a few for friends as well. I have always been satisfied you just have to check the listing real well, and prepare yourself for a used phone with flaws.

You could get a newer curve for $50 bucks I think and a bold for $100. that would hold you over for bb10, or not if they don't bring out a keyboard(oh, thats just me)

If i knew anything about android phones, i wouldn't mind getting one to try.
    02-20-12 05:38 PM
    FYI, no its not. Show me something a blackberry running os7 can't do.
    OP your going to get a lot of different opinions on this one. My personal opinion is go with what ya like. Os7 devices are nice. There's enough time for BB10 when they come out. For the mean time os7 gets the job done with style.
    02-20-12 06:20 PM
    I don't believe that's true. I think the BB7 devices will be around for a while. There are many markets where they will still be popular. Just like the older offerings from other platforms.
    no doubt, but its like getting a windows mobile phone when windows phone 7 was released, sure winmo phones will still work with the apps available, but all new apps and updates will be coming out on the new platform. Just something that you need to keep in mind when buying a bb7 phone.
    02-20-12 08:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD