Sorry if Im bringing up this topic again if it has been posted already, but i just wanted to ive you my perspective.
    I may not be a BB guru like some on here but Ive had a BB since the release of the 8830 to Verizon in 2007. Ive then went on to the 8330, 8530, 9630 and now at the 9650.
    I loved BB every time ive upgrade but I feel that RIM really has to take the one extra step and at least keep up with the industry. BBM and a physical QWERTY KB is whats making me keep my BB, but I get frustrated alot with it. Frequent freezing of the phone, constant memory loss, lagging, loss of reception (This has only happened with my 9650).
    Ive tried everything possible from swapping phones at VZW, OS upgrade between Officials, Beta, and Hybrids and there is ALWAYS a bug.
    I havent seen a release of a BB for a while to Verizon and I will never switch to another carrier because Id like to be able to have a conversation on my phone without dropped calls rather than a phone with a whole lotta features.
    Just putting this out there cause Im not sure if I should switch to an iphone or droid, but like I said, BBM and QWERTY is whats keeping me here.
    04-26-11 08:09 AM
    Hopefully things will change once QNX gets on the phones but that can be another beta test until after it's been out for awhile.
    04-26-11 08:12 AM
  3. T
    Just weigh out the pros and cons. I myself am totally happy with RIM, and I think it is ahead of the industry. The other platforms just don't offer what BlackBerry has to offer; they need to catch up, though I doubt they ever will. My Curve is on Sprint and has never dropped a call.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Fatoomah likes this.
    04-26-11 08:17 AM
    Im not really looking for anything in cutting edge as far as phone. The Pros are the BBM, and KB. As for the Cons, Its the issues that I was referring to. All I use my BB for is Calls, Texting, Internet, and Music. I have a few apps here and there but rarely use them.
    I cant be the only one with these problems, but if none of the above happens, I would be a very happy camper.
    Lets just see what QNX has to offer when it comes out, or at least OS 6.1.
    Now that I think of it, I may wait til BB makes a LTE phone for Verizon and that is when I may choose which path.
    04-26-11 08:27 AM
    Im not really looking for anything in cutting edge as far as phone. The Pros are the BBM, and KB. As for the Cons, Its the issues that I was referring to. All I use my BB for is Calls, Texting, Internet, and Music. I have a few apps here and there but rarely use them.
    I cant be the only one with these problems, but if none of the above happens, I would be a very happy camper.
    Lets just see what QNX has to offer when it comes out, or at least OS 6.1.
    Now that I think of it, I may wait til BB makes a LTE phone for Verizon and that is when I may choose which path.
    So basically what you are saying is if your current device wasn't so buggy, you would be content? If so, then stay blackberry and get a device set up that isn't buggy. I personally love bb and don't plan on leaving unless they completely drop the ball in the near future...droids are fancy and neat, but I don't quite trust them yet with security and battery life.
    04-26-11 10:27 AM
    Upgrade to Hybrids!

See if its the phone itself or the service, i honestly think it may just have to do with the OS but who knows?
    Also, flip the sim card so the phone can't read it.
    just a heads up.
    04-26-11 11:10 AM
    Try to wipe the device and start again?
    04-26-11 01:26 PM
    You mentioned you've tried different 9650s and experienced the same problems with both... was there anything in common between the two, like you moved a memory card over or anything?

I have two Verizon 9650s in the home, one perfectly stock on OS6, and one (mine) on OS5 where I've experimented with dozens of apps and swapped OSs a few times and pretty much done everything I can to mess things up, lol... and both so far have worked well.

I know it can be frustrating when people say that, but I just want to give you hope that a Verizon 9650 really can work fine.

Maybe try getting a replacement at a different Verizon store? I don't know what difference that'd make, but there must be some common thread to the problems...
    04-26-11 02:06 PM
    Katesbb, you mentioned about the memory card, but Idid move it between my 9650's I will give that a try but not sure if it will help.
    Yesterday when reading this thread, my phone reboot twice when trying to open emails, and they were different emails.
    Today it happened again when trying to open an email.
    04-27-11 07:38 AM
    Katesbb, you mentioned about the memory card, but Idid move it between my 9650's I will give that a try but not sure if it will help.
    Yesterday when reading this thread, my phone reboot twice when trying to open emails, and they were different emails.
    Today it happened again when trying to open an email.
    Odd... well, maybe consider going into Options/Applications and uninstall any third-party apps you may have installed, then use Desktop Manager to reinstall a shiny new fresh OS

Oh, and don't use that same memory card right away... see if it works first?

And there's always the Resend Service Books trick to try.

You need some sort of "baseline" to start with, where it IS working fine... then add things until it fails.

If you can't get it to work ever, I'd say it's hardware, a broken phone... except you mentioned you tried a replacement and it too failed, sooooo... I'm kinda lost too
    04-27-11 08:09 AM
    I will say I agree with what Naut is saying. I myself have been with BB since my curve 8330, and I have had every bb that verizon has put on except for the storm 2. I will say that I don't think they are ahead of the industry at all. They definately tried to be there when they came out the Storm after the Iphone came out and we all know how bad that went. I am
    I myself am going through the same things in my head about what I should do. Go to an iphone or a droid or just wait until bb comes out with another phone for verizon. Its been like 8 months to a year since the bold has come out, its just getting a little ridiculous at this time point. BB is great for email, its great that it has push technology but in the same sense all phone can get your email just in a different method. Anyway thats my spiel, I dont want to leave bb but its getting very tough to look past things at this point.
    04-27-11 09:12 AM
    Just an update to this.

After doing what Katesbb said, so far my BB is running smooth. I mean I did a complete wipe of the OS with BBSAK and loaded the official OS from Verizon. I then did a format of the memory card and onto day 2 the phone is running smooth.
    Looks like the memory may have soilved the problem, but dont want to make any assumptions yet. I did copy all my data to my PC and will slowly add my data back to the memory card.
    The only apps that I have added since initially loading the OS and installing the memory card are BBM, App World, BB Protect, and Viper SmartStart.
    I will slowly add the other 2 or 3 apps that I have been using during this week.
    The other apps that I can think of are VScreenshot, BerryWeather, OurGroceries, Fios DVR, FlashOn, BeeJive, ForceRadioOn, NYDailyNews.
    Will keep u posted.
    05-03-11 07:08 AM
    Well I think im outta here. Ive battled BB for a long time and having the new Bold Touch for over a month ive very impressed with its features, but there not much to it.
    The BB Touch is an excellent device, but lack of apps and slow internet, intermitting freezing has me going to a DroidPro.
    Ive had the pleasure of using the DroidPro over the weekend and im blown away.
    I was also gonna hold out for a BB Playbook but way over priced and from the looks of it, it just may be the next HP Touchpad.
    I know you can say wait for QNX but by the time QNX comes out, it will be out dated IMO.
    The BB Touch should of been released last year.
    Just wanted to say thanks for everyones help int he past.
    10-25-11 09:04 AM
    I love my 9650 on Sprint when it works. Lately though I try to make a call or read an email and it's frozen like ma rock. Sprint only wants to wipe the phone and restore it. I've done that many times myself. It's not even a year old and I'm stuck with it. I will have to pay full price to switch. I'm afraid to go to iPhone simply because of the lack of a bedtime mode. How can they not have a way to turn off Facebook and emails at night but still let you take calls and texts from work?

May try the Samsung sprint phone.
    10-25-11 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD