I have had a Blackberry of one model or another since 2003. I currently have a Blackberry Passport which has been one of the best smart devices I have ever had.
    Now that RIM is gone and my current blackberry O/S is extinct, perhaps it is time to retire my Passport from active service. I have two Blackberry Torches with cradles that are now serving as great night stand clocks. These old RIM devices just don't die. I have many old Blackberrys that are still in great condition and fully functional, only obsolete due to software updates and changes in Cell Phone technologies. I believe I preferred it when the Blackberrys had no cellphone included. I have always used mine for emails and text. My 1st blackberry looked like a pager with a keyboard (no phone). It is now costing me a premium to keep it active on AT&T. Hate to say goodbye to my trusted and reliable BB Passport. I do not care much for the new O/S.
    11-08-19 10:04 AM
    It is now costing me a premium to keep it active on AT&T.
    Why is it costing you a premium to keep it on AT&T?
    11-08-19 11:58 AM
    Agreed. The Passport on AT&T shouldn't cost any more than any other phone. My Z10 never did. To AT&T, it was just another phone with a data plan.
    11-08-19 12:03 PM
    You have a couple of options:

1) Go WiFi-only and use it for everything but phone calls and SMS in your home, office and where a trusted WiFi connection is available. This is free and let's you still enjoy all of the native functionality that BB10 offers.

2) Switch to a less expensive mobile plan that offers unlimited calls and texts but limited data, then use WiFi as described above.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-08-19 12:05 PM
    not sure, but i do have an extra charge on the bill list as blackberry. I also did not buy my passport through them, I bought it directly from Blackberry. I do not think they ever carried the Passport. Perhaps they make more money on Androids. I have many phones (Samsung) on this account and they are all cheaper. Phone bill around $335 per month
    12-04-19 11:18 AM
    not sure, but i do have an extra charge on the bill list as blackberry. I also did not buy my passport through them, I bought it directly from Blackberry. I do not think they ever carried the Passport. Perhaps they make more money on Androids. I have many phones (Samsung) on this account and they are all cheaper. Phone bill around $335 per month
    Only BBOS phones had surcharge for BlackBerry Internet Service back in the day. I activated BBOS AT&T 9860 on AT&T BIS plan in 2016 for nostalgia until late 2018 or early 2019 and there wasn’t a surcharge. I’ve had eight different BB10 hardware on and off the account since 2013 and there’s never been a BlackBerry surcharge as BB10 uses regular carrier data. Like you, I have a multi line account with multiple devices. I’d complain.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-04-19 12:33 PM
    Could switch to another carrier and pop the SIM in. MVNO's like straighttalk or simplemobile come to mind, the cost is far less. And you can keep using the same device.

Like freedom mobile in canada, I just pop the sim into any device and keep using it.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    12-04-19 07:55 PM
    Could switch to another carrier and pop the SIM in. MVNO's like straighttalk or simplemobile come to mind, the cost is far less. And you can keep using the same device.

Like freedom mobile in canada, I just pop the sim into any device and keep using it.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    Unless the AT&T Passport but I’m not sure if OP ever clarified
    12-04-19 07:58 PM
    Only BBOS phones had surcharge for BlackBerry Internet Service back in the day. I activated BBOS AT&T 9860 on AT&T BIS plan in 2016 for nostalgia until late 2018 or early 2019 and there wasn’t a surcharge. I’ve had eight different BB10 hardware on and off the account since 2013 and there’s never been a BlackBerry surcharge as BB10 uses regular carrier data. Like you, I have a multi line account with multiple devices. I’d complain.
    Echoing this sentiment. Call AT&T and complain, get that charge not only removed, but get a credit back that unnecessary charge,
    12-04-19 09:29 PM
    Echoing this sentiment. Call AT&T and complain, get that charge not only removed, but get a credit back that unnecessary charge,
    Agreed. When I had my Z10 on AT&T, I was still running on the grandfathered $30 a month unlimited data plan. It was leftover from my previous Torch 9800 with BIS, and still just $30 a month unlimited. I started that plan in 2007 with my first BlackBerry, the Pearl 8100.

My wife, who also started with a Pearl, later moved to the iPhone 3G. She moved to a non-BIS data plan - still the $30 a month unlimited data that was still offered.

AT&T called BIS a different plan name - BlackBerry Data Plan, but the actual cost was the same as a standard Mobile Data Plan for any other phone.

When I first upgraded to the Z10, the plan name was then called something like Data Plan for BlackBerry. Meant to be different from the BlackBerry Data Plan and not available to be selected for the Z10 when I upgraded online (so AT&T knew what they were doing). But the price was the same, and it was still unlimited.

The last year I used my Z10 (2016) we switched to one of those combined family plans. Since I was the only one regularly leaving the house wi-fi, I was the biggest mobile data user, and knowing what that was, it was a better deal overall.

By the time of the plan switch, my Z10 was paid out, so we were only paying for the device access. There was no surcharge for it being a BlackBerry. The Z10 was in the system as a BlackBerry, but cost no more than the access for the iPhone 5C my wife had by then, or my son's Galaxy S4.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-05-19 09:13 AM