There are a lot of ways to make blackberry better, the obvious problems are the browser, UI, apps, etc.... But there are a lot of minor things that are overlooked that would definately make the blackberry better. Here are some of mine, feel free to add your own

Make the blackberry more friendly for users without data plans. There are many people who only use wifi. It is ridiculous how useless a blackberry is without a data plan, the email, and many apps (including appworld) won't work without a data plan. Other phone like android and iphone are completely usable without a data plan (wifi only)

Be able to turn push oFf and turn fetch on. Many people don't need to have push on at all times (including me) it would be great to only have my emails be received every 15 minutes or so

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-10 09:27 PM
    You are required to have a data plan because everything you do on the phone that requires data except for a few apps goes through RIM's servers. This will never change and a data plan would always be a required. Why would you turn push off? That makes no sense. BlackBerry became popular because of how amazing it is with emails. Plus fetching email every 15min would use more battery power then the emails being pushed by RIM. Now if you want emails to come to your phone every 15 min you can sign up for a hotmail email address and use that with your BlackBerry.
    02-04-10 10:10 PM
    Sounds like a BlackBerry is not the right device for the OP.
    02-05-10 05:38 AM
    Get something other than a Blackberry. They are made to have data plans and for push emails.

02-05-10 05:57 AM
    Sounds like a BlackBerry is not the right device for the OP.
    +1

02-05-10 06:37 AM
    I think the phone should natively do what BerryBuzz does.

I've actually come across a few things that should be done natively instead of through a third party app and it really irked me at the time. Can't remember now though.

EDIT: oh, and having to add a theme/app (can't remember which it was) to get appointments and messages on the main screen. Just checked and the theme I'm using is OTA today. You'd think that this would come natively on a device for businesses.
    Last edited by CourtenayC; 02-05-10 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Addition
    02-05-10 06:45 AM
    OP - I'm glad you like blackberry. I'm glad you have one and joined our community. However, I wish you would have done some research before diving in. Blackberry has been around for YEARS serving the business community. It was only a very few years ago when they started to get into the consumer end of things. (I believe the Pearl 81xx models were the first to be really marketed and geared towards the consumer)

Anyways, Blackberry designed themselves with a few key things to serve the businessman. And the things you listed are all part of the package. However, all is not lost. Either add Data to your plan and enjoy your Berry to the fullest, or sell it on ebay or craigslist and purchase something that fits your needs/wants a little better.

Personally I'm hoping you choose to keep it. But its up to you. It is your money and it is a free world. If you keep it you're welcome to contribute to the forums. If you choose to purchase another device from a different manufacturer, best of luck to you!
    02-05-10 06:45 AM
    EDIT: oh, and having to add a theme/app (can't remember which it was) to get appointments and messages on the main screen. Just checked and the theme I'm using is OTA today. You'd think that this would come natively on a device for businesses.
    It already does. (OS5)
    02-05-10 07:27 AM
    There are a lot of ways to make blackberry better, the obvious problems are the browser, UI, apps, etc.... But there are a lot of minor things that are overlooked that would definately make the blackberry better. Here are some of mine, feel free to add your own

Make the blackberry more friendly for users without data plans. There are many people who only use wifi. It is ridiculous how useless a blackberry is without a data plan, the email, and many apps (including appworld) won't work without a data plan. Other phone like android and iphone are completely usable without a data plan (wifi only)

Be able to turn push oFf and turn fetch on. Many people don't need to have push on at all times (including me) it would be great to only have my emails be received every 15 minutes or so

BB is not only about the device but the Service(BIS) as well.
    So we cannot choose either one of them - you take both or you take nothing.
    02-05-10 07:41 AM
    I'm using 9700 and have no data plan and I got all the apps I wanted to work via wifi. I can surf the web, check my email, listen to radio, im, irc, weather app, gps etc. all w/o a data plan. Screw bis, I'm cutting out the middle man. No one is getting my $. Once I get skype to work on my 9700, I may not even need a prepaid voice plan.

Don't listen to ppl that said u can't do it and are anal that u need a bis or bes plan on ur bb. If I can do it, u can do it.

ps - I like being cheap and living debt free unlike some ppl here who like their phone bill to be +$70/month.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 02-05-10 at 08:09 AM.
    02-05-10 07:50 AM
    It already does. (OS5)
    Thanks, another reason to upgrade then. I am on 4.6.0.162, the software my phone came with. Little reluctant to update though because it seems a little too complex for me.
    02-05-10 05:34 PM
    Actually, I already have a data plan and have had one for a couple months now, but I realized that I'm around wifi almost all day long and don't really need the data plan and the extra money. It would be great if I could remove the data plan and still be able to use the blackberry to its full potential like iphone, android, and basicly any other smartphone. It would be much more appealing to consumers if blackberry allowed this (especially to prepaid and casual users) not everyone needs data all day long

02-05-10 07:38 PM
    With the current set of cell phone plans, you can't get an iPhone through AT&T without a data plan. Most carriers now require a data plan with all smartphones.

There is a 3rd party app for POP3 e-mail that polls instead of using RIM's push service. You have a choice, and there are many 3rd party options to customize your BB experience.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-05-10 07:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD