At first I thought I loved the blackberry tour, after using it, not so much. Though it does have its upside when it comes to email, contacts, and security, but after that, there is not much more. For a phone that is geared toward business, I cant for the life of me understand why they are using the worst browser on earth, the web browsing is pathetic compared to other smartphones and is not any better than the voyager I previously owned, yea I know, shocking but true. The phone's looks, are great, keyboard, screen (and resolution), and feel. I just don't understand why blackberry would not take advantage of their strengths. The OS, while back in 2000 would have been great, in 2010, is just not up to par and not even close. The apps are almost laughable, and not even enjoyable due to the UI. Before I tried the blackberry, i researched it for about a month, though nothing really stood out to me, I was drawn to it, due the hype and fizz, sort of like the NBA Dunk contest this past weekend, but the dunk contest like the phone turned out to be flat. I am actually bit dissapointed, as much as I tried to like the blackberry, I just kept drifting away. I know people will say, "the phones not for you" and "its geared toward business," but in a fast paced world when your always on the go, wheres the fun, sure wasn't in the blackberry. You can't call it a smartphone if all it does is email. Not trying to ruffle anyones feathers with this post, just my thoughts, its back to the moto droid for me!
    02-15-10 05:56 PM
    Resonable overview... RIM really should be a little further along then they are when it comes to browser and app development.

I think they are working on both of these issues right now, but we'll have to wait a bit to see what happens. I think they should have gotten down to business a while ago (as in 2008), but hey... better late then never.
    02-15-10 06:09 PM
    I agree 100%. Browser is on the way though. I'm giving RIM until summer to keep me a customer.
    02-15-10 06:09 PM
    you carry valid arguments I do agree there browser is not on par with many other smartphones. But the battery life on the bold 9700 is just so good I cant get rid of it
    02-15-10 06:34 PM
    Yea, that was another issue, the battery on the tour didn't last very long, 10 minutes of web browsing you would lose one bar. Maybe I will go back to blackberry in the future, but its just hard when other platforms are running circle around them.
    02-15-10 06:39 PM
    As far as the browser goes, I'm not giving RISM the benefit of the doubt here. I
    actually think it's going to either not be up to par or just completely suck.

No way you're going to get that great a browser on devices as small as Blackberries.
    It will probably be the equivalent of that Opera or Bolt crap.
    02-15-10 06:55 PM
    That seems a bit harsh on the battery for just 10 minutes. I have the bold 9000 and I surf all day with no issue unless I catch some random site with a lot of scripts trying to load.

And thank you for the well thought out review, I enjoyed that much better than the "BB suckss! I'm switching to an iphone!" that I see most of the time and hear from my friends.

Personally I'm pretty ok with blackberry. UI isn't such a big deal for me compared to capability, and there are only a couple things you can do with iPhone/Android that I would like to have (ssh and tor really being it). Besides that, for me it isn't worth switching.

It really is something you have to find out for yourself though, glad you don't feel too angry towards BB as many seem to be for no reason.
    02-15-10 06:56 PM
    Sounds like it wasn't the right device for you. No big deal. Life goes on. And enjoy your Droid. It's not contest, by the way.
    02-15-10 06:57 PM
    RIM has hired Apple developers to help with the OS, it was news over a year ago I think. And I bet in the next couple of years there will be some major overhauls.

Having said that, this browser is one of the better ones I have ever used. A dated look doesn't mean much to me when I can do everything with great speed and ease. I can flip between apps and share info like it's nobody's business and that is what matters most on a phone like this.

Browsing is secondary mainly because it is a business device. Anyone who does serious business will probably have a netbook or better if they need the internet. Corporate sites use Flash a lot and so do most major websites so mobile browsers are out by nature. Also from a corporate point of view the execs don't want to see their employees always surfing the web when they're supposed to be working.

And I don't buy the nit about fun, fun is not corporate. The strength of these phones lies in BES which most people here will never experience.
    02-15-10 07:30 PM
    The OP's argument is spot on in some respects. People are leading busier lives where we no longer have time to wait until we get him to entertain ourselves. Of course we use blackberry smartphones to do work, but now we need devices to amuse us as well. The blackberry smartphone does not entrtain like the other devices. If RIM wants ro retain their current customers, then they need to deliver on the "fun" end of things.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 09:48 PM
    The OP's argument is spot on in some respects. People are leading busier lives where we no longer have time to wait until we get him to entertain ourselves. Of course we use blackberry smartphones to do work, but now we need devices to amuse us as well. The blackberry smartphone does not entrtain like the other devices. If RIM wants ro retain their current customers, then they need to deliver on the "fun" end of things.

Thank you for understanding my point of view, again, I'm not bashing the blackberry, in some aspects its a great phone. As far as the poster that said blackberry is not suppose to be a fun phone, then maybe blackberry should change their "live" marketing campaign cause thats what they are portraying in their commercials. As far as corporate not wanting their employees to surf the web, well, that doesn't make much sense, then maybe they shouldn't get laptops or netbooks as you suggested. Also, you are assuming that all corporate employees use a blackberry, many use iphones, windows mobile, palm, and android, all of which have a better browser, in my opinion, than the blackberry. If these are used mainly for corporate employees, shouldn't they get the most update technology, after all, these people are more than your average user? On a side note, I do think that blackberry's have the best keyboard.
    02-15-10 10:11 PM
    Thank you for understanding my point of view, again, I'm not bashing the blackberry, in some aspects its a great phone. As far as the poster that said blackberry is not suppose to be a fun phone, then maybe blackberry should change their "live" marketing campaign cause thats what they are portraying in their commercials. As far as corporate not wanting their employees to surf the web, well, that doesn't make much sense, then maybe they shouldn't get laptops or netbooks as you suggested. Also, you are assuming that all corporate employees use a blackberry, many use iphones, windows mobile, palm, and android, all of which have a better browser, in my opinion, than the blackberry. If these are used mainly for corporate employees, shouldn't they get the most update technology, after all, these people are more than your average user? On a side note, I do think that blackberry's have the best keyboard.
    one size doesn't fit all. there will never be any device that can satisfy all the users. Your grudges against the BB is true but there are other strengths as well. Enjoy your droid.
    02-15-10 11:15 PM
    I have patience, mostly because I do a lot of writing and spreadsheet work in Docs and Sheets to go, along with tons of texting. I do know from reading various sources that Rim knows it needs to catch up in the browser department, it is also my understanding a new browser will be released this year.

To accomplish this, in July or August 2009 Rim purchased Torch Mobile the mobile browser development company that created the Iris browser. Torch Mobile announced they would no longer support Iris - that they would be working full time to develop a WebKit Browser for BlackBerries.

Iris is a Windows Mobile and Qtopia browser, so it is apparent they will not be following in Apple's footsteps. From what I have read, "mobile browsers based on WebKits own the mobile web."�

�James Kendrick, August 24, 2009

Last edited by exelant; 02-15-10 at 11:27 PM.
    02-15-10 11:18 PM
    RIM better have a real big announcement @ MWC Tues. or they are going to look pretty flat footed.

Peruse Engadget or other sites and take look at the specs on some of the new phones coming out.

RIMs mainstay is email and security. So it really won't take much for competitors to match that.
    On the other hand, how many other things is RIM playing catch up on? In my view A LOT.

02-15-10 11:42 PM
    I have been using BB for about 3 years at work and just added an iPhone for personal use. I must say that the iPhone is much more enjoyable to use in every aspect. However there is no topping BB for messaging functionality. The BB is not the sexiest device but it is the most functional for it's intended use.

02-16-10 12:24 AM
    All good points. I don't have a computer, I just use my bb for everything. I do ALL my work on my bb. Yep the whole lot. But the browser sucks, I tried the Iphone the other day and it is the gretaest phone ever. If their email system was good , I would get one. But this is where bb is in a league of its ownn you can store 20000 emails on it, would not slow it down. You can have contacts galore-same thing. So for business IT is the best thing. But does need improvement. Rim are lagging big time.

02-16-10 01:52 AM
    All good points. I don't have a computer, I just use my bb for everything. I do ALL my work on my bb. Yep the whole lot. But the browser sucks, I tried the Iphone the other day and it is the gretaest phone ever. If their email system was good , I would get one. But this is where bb is in a league of its ownn you can store 20000 emails on it, would not slow it down. You can have contacts galore-same thing. So for business IT is the best thing. But does need improvement. Rim are lagging big time.

Have you tried Opera Mini? It's great for rendering full websites. I still prefer the stock browser for mobile sites though. The damn Opera cursor is too slow and rigid.
    02-16-10 04:08 AM
    I wish I had a dime for every troll who attempts RIM-bashing within his first 10 forum posts.

Then I would be able to buy Apple and run it into the ground.
    02-16-10 04:23 AM
    There are pros and cons to all handsets, different horses for different courses and all that.

I agree the stock web browser isn't up to scratch, but the Opera 5 beta holds up fine for me. It can't do everything but handles everything I need. As mentioned by others there's a new browser to look forward to sometime this summer, hopefully this will take the BB as far ahead of the competition as possible within the restraints of the form factor (small screen, mostly non-touchscreen.)

I don't buy the argument about apps, they're functional and quick to use and I see nothing wrong with that, RIM are working on this ATM but to be fair I don't think prettier apps would be a deal maker for many, the devices do what's needed of them excellently, really no need for the bells and whistles.
    As for fun, it's almost a clich� but it's not supposed to be a fun phone, it's a tool, designed to execute a number of tasks as quickly and efficiently as possible, imagine if they started making power drills "fun" to use, or military/medical equipment more entertaining, I think in todays world of convergence devices and wanting it all now, a lot of people are forgetting that at the end of the day a phone is simply a means to an end, a tool, a device to communicate, I don't necessarily want a phone with 100 different games and fart apps for the same reason I don't **** in my kitchen sink- I already have a toilet for pissing.

Wow, that turned into a bit of a rant towards the end, sorry, I just think a lot of people expect their phones to be something they're not, I spent months choosing a mobile phone as I was blinded by all the bells and whistles available on some handsets out there, but ultimately I came to the simplist, most dated device as it just worked for me. I guess there's an element of Occam's Razor here too, after using iphones for many hours whilst people tried to sway my buying preferences, I ended up just asking myself "do I really need all of this stuff, is the cake really that good beneath the icing?" and the answer was no, for me at least.

Bloody **** that turned out a lot longer and more biased than I intended, oh well, I can't be bothered to go back and shorten it.

Last edited by Tim_UK; 02-16-10 at 05:45 AM.
    02-16-10 05:42 AM
    There are pros and cons to all handsets, different horses for different courses and all that.

I agree the stock web browser isn't up to scratch, but the Opera 5 beta holds up fine for me. It can't do everything but handles everything I need. As mentioned by others there's a new browser to look forward to sometime this summer, hopefully this will take the BB as far ahead of the competition as possible within the restraints of the form factor (small screen, mostly non-touchscreen.)

I don't buy the argument about apps, they're functional and quick to use and I see nothing wrong with that, RIM are working on this ATM but to be fair I don't think prettier apps would be a deal maker for many, the devices do what's needed of them excellently, really no need for the bells and whistles.
    As for fun, it's almost a clich� but it's not supposed to be a fun phone, it's a tool, designed to execute a number of tasks as quickly and efficiently as possible, imagine if they started making power drills "fun" to use, or military/medical equipment more entertaining, I think in todays world of convergence devices and wanting it all now, a lot of people are forgetting that at the end of the day a phone is simply a means to an end, a tool, a device to communicate, I don't necessarily want a phone with 100 different games and fart apps for the same reason I don't **** in my kitchen sink- I already have a toilet for pissing.
    I agree with a good chunk of this post. I don't think that making an app look alot fancier is going to make anyone happy. The apps that I have on my BB work exactly like they're supposed to, they may not look as pretty as the ones on the iPhone, or the Droid, but I don't expect them to, they do what I want them to do.

As far as the "fun" arguement, it all comes down to your definition of fun. For some people, it's being able to do a bunch of games, and watch youtube videos in hi definition, and that's all fine and dandy, and there are devices out there that will let you do that better than others. For me, fun (or at least fun with regards to my phone) is being able to contact people with ease, the communications strengths of the BB are what makes it fun for me. BBM is fun to me, quick e-mail is fun for me, and so is Facebook, and for me the app handles that beautifully, alerts me when I have a new notification, pulls up the status feed, etc. If I want to listen to music, I can listen to the mp3 files I have saved, or I can just open the Pandora app and listen that way, same as you can do on a Droid. Keep up on my sports scores?? ScoreMobile does that for me, that's fun for me as well!

The things that I want to use my device for to get enjoyment aren't going to be the same as everyone else, and I get that, that's why there are so many different options out there. Want a great multimedia device with a ton of apps, go iPhone. Want a device that kind of rides the fence, but is geared more towards the multimedia/entertainment side of things (IMO) go with an Android device. And if you want a powerful messaging device, that allows you to do most multimedia actions, albiet not as pretty and sometimes not as efficiently (web browser), then go BB.

Enjoy your Droid, it's a nice device. Not for me, but it's a nice device none the less.
    02-16-10 07:57 AM

I hate to say it - but that's the thing with a BB - it just CAN'T replace a computer... if it had a decent browser, maybe... but IMO, the screen is too small for full fledged computer replacement... the Storm could - but it needs a better browser, faster hardware and a high pixel density screen... oh and can't forget the silly memory limits... on my 9700, it's get a "file too large" type of message with attachement that were barely 3MB...
    02-16-10 08:07 AM
    I'm always amazed at how anxious people are.

Torch Mobile was purchased not even a year ago. We've known a new web browser is in the works (there is even the video from MWC on the front page) and from the looks of the video, it is fast, efficient, smooth, and just what the BB needs to boost up the browser.

Adobe and RIM announced Flash support development, and even debuted some of the tools in the Fall. Flash support is on its way, something the iPhone hasn't adopted (even the iPad won't have Flash).

OpenGL was announced in the Fall as well. There have even been a couple of games that have come out using openGL for the Storm2. It will be interesting to see which new devices coming to market support openGL. I think once more developers start using it, we will see a lot more "fun" games being released.

MWC is going on this week. RIM has a huge presence there, and one of the things they are there for it to promote development. I think it would be prudent to look at what comes from Barcelona this week and reserve judgment, as well as be patient to see how long it takes for these new technologies to make their way into our pockets.
    02-16-10 08:25 AM
    I have patience, mostly because I do a lot of writing and spreadsheet work in Docs and Sheets to go, along with tons of texting. I do know from reading various sources that Rim knows it needs to catch up in the browser department, it is also my understanding a new browser will be released this year.

To accomplish this, in July or August 2009 Rim purchased Torch Mobile the mobile browser development company that created the Iris browser. Torch Mobile announced they would no longer support Iris - that they would be working full time to develop a WebKit Browser for BlackBerries.

Iris is a Windows Mobile and Qtopia browser, so it is apparent they will not be following in Apple's footsteps. From what I have read, "mobile browsers based on WebKits own the mobile web."�

�James Kendrick, August 24, 2009

Amazing! A day after posting this there is a new blog about this very subject. Looks like we won't be waiting long.

02-16-10 12:23 PM
    The BlackBerry platform is hard to develop for.

1. It uses a Java-based environment that is not as fast as phones like iPhone that run native code.
    2. The API's that RIM publishes are fairly minimal (example: there is no API for volume control so every app (BB Media Player, Pandora, Slacker, PodTrapper) must develop their own UI and determine how to interface with BlueTooth).
    3. When RIM does publish an API (such as the OS 5 networking factory) sometimes they only make it available to Alliance Members which costs $1400 to join.
    4. There are many devices and OS versions to deal with
    5. Networking can be slow on the BB platform particularly when using BIS and BES (as the native BB browser does) because BIS and BES act as proxies.

So developers on BB must reinvent the wheel, deal with many different devices and OS versions on a slow platform, and put up with large fees.

The hardware is the best though! Love my Storm hardware. And some developers have created fantastic apps despite the issues (PodTrapper, Unread, GMaps, etc).
    Last edited by wpwoodjr; 02-22-10 at 12:00 PM.
    02-16-10 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD