I want a blackberry but have no desire to get the data pkg. I know that I can't get one cheap from my carrier, since I wouldn't have data. I would buy off ebay.
    Please tell me what the Blackberry will do w/o a data package...........
    I know I'm losing the biggest part of the device w/o data. But, I don't text and I don't need it for internet. I no longer want to carry a PDA (which all I use it for is my calendar and contacts) and I figured a BB could be a way to free up some room in my purse.
    Basic questions, without a data pkg, could I sync to Outlook to put my calendar and contacts in via USB? I see stuff on here to download like the stopwatch, etc. Will I still be able to use that? What about games, anything like that on it?
    Thanks, Stephanie
    04-24-08 06:52 PM
    without a data package, you cant use the internet, bb messenger and other 3rd party apps.

downloading uses data unless you do it via DM.

yes you can sync it with outlook even if you dont have a data plan
    04-24-08 06:55 PM
    It'll do pretty much everything you're asking it to do, but i feel sorry for your berry
    04-24-08 06:57 PM
    Really if you are not going to get the data pkg your kinda hadicapping the berry
    04-24-08 07:05 PM
    Yeah it'll do all of those things you mentioned- but things like downloading apps would be much easier with a data plan so you could do it over the air.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-08 07:08 PM
    For your downloading needs you'll have to rely on your PC then sync to your BB. This may help you avoid using a data plan. Your carrier may insist on you getting a Data plan, but you can cancel such plan next day.

04-24-08 07:11 PM
    This reminds me of a commercial for Bresnan (the local cable company). The lady says "Buying an HDTV and not getting HD cable is like buying a Porsche and filling it with regular."

I don't understand why someone would want a BlackBerry without a data plan.
    04-24-08 07:15 PM
    each to his own
    04-24-08 07:17 PM
    Thanks for eveyones help. And, yes I think a data plan could be useful. But, we have this "jealousy" thing going in my house. If I want something DH and DD (15) get the same thing. Nothing like going out and buying 3 ipods, 3 PSPs, 3 Nintendo Ds's, each time one of us wants it. So, I really don't feel like spending an extra $120 / mo for us all to have data.
    04-24-08 07:31 PM
    This reminds me of a commercial for Bresnan (the local cable company). The lady says "Buying an HDTV and not getting HD cable is like buying a Porsche and filling it with regular."

I don't understand why someone would want a BlackBerry without a data plan.
    I know ALOT of people at my work that have curves with no data plan. They're slick looking phones...I on the other hand have BIS with unlimited text...($50) ouch.
    04-24-08 07:35 PM
    I know ALOT of people at my work that have curves with no data plan. They're slick looking phones...I on the other hand have BIS with unlimited text...($50) ouch.
    I guess I can see all of the useful features that a berry has to offer without a data plan. I just know that Paulie would feel nekkid without one.
    Last edited by thebokonist; 04-24-08 at 07:58 PM.
    04-24-08 07:47 PM
    btw, axe, I like the quote in your signature.
    04-24-08 07:48 PM
    You know now that I look back, I remember being like "holy crap $50 is alot of money for just data (slow data at that) and texting". But then I decided to "test drive" it....and I never went back...lol damn those sells reps!
    04-24-08 07:49 PM
    Come on over to Sprint... $99/mo for unlimited everything...and this everything works faster than on GSM providers.
    04-24-08 07:56 PM
    i dont have a data plan with my Curve, but I do have HotSpot@Home which gives me internet access over wifi networks at both home and away from home. The Curve is great for syncing calendars and contacts. Plus the music player, camera and OS add to the usefulness and versatility of the Curve. Also, the cost is fairly comparable to many less featured phones..
    04-24-08 07:57 PM
    Come on over to Sprint... $99/mo for unlimited everything...and this everything works faster than on GSM providers.

Ya when it works on that out dated CDMA network. LOL
    04-24-08 07:59 PM
    I started off without a data plan because I also wanted to get rid of the PDA, can't imagine being without one now.
    04-24-08 08:10 PM
    When I got my Curve, I only used wifi (for a month) and thought it was enough. When I started hanging out here and saw all the wonderful apps that you can install, I got myself a data plan coz 99% of them wont work without it.
    04-24-08 08:41 PM
    My bill is 85 bucks...thanks to my company's discount
    04-24-08 08:42 PM
    I wish I could get H@H, but I am thrilled that I have a Curve Browser in my pocket.

Calender and Contacts, Memo Pad and Task List, throw in a NotePad that saves to Media card and I am in Heaven.

Best part, It does not cost me $6000 a year.

No Phone? No voice interruptions.
    04-24-08 10:06 PM
    I wish I could get H@H, but I am thrilled that I have a Curve Browser in my pocket.

Calender and Contacts, Memo Pad and Task List, throw in a NotePad that saves to Media card and I am in Heaven.

Best part, It does not cost me $6000 a year.

No Phone? No voice interruptions.

So you just* use wifi?
    04-24-08 10:07 PM
    Yes.

There is a developing world of WAP enabled sites, this is one of them.

I get all the E-mail I can handle through my Browser.

Of course, I am sitting at my power box too.

04-24-08 10:13 PM
    For some people WiFi is enough. Like myself, no internet on my work computer. But there is WiFi in the building...soo my WiFi curve does everything I need it do. And now with JiveTalk working over WiFi Im in heaven.

I just wish Google Maps would work over WiFi. I dont need 24/7 access to my email. I have my MB in front of me most of the time anway...
    04-24-08 10:15 PM
    that's kinda cool...i never thought of that. Haha what do you say when someone asks to use your phone for a quick call?
    04-24-08 10:15 PM
    Ha....Stoner?

I am using my unlocked 8320 with At&t and it works great.
    04-24-08 10:21 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD