In the notifications/profiles, there is Normal along with Loud, Medium, Vibrate, Phone Only,Silent, etc. Is Normal different? Is it linked to other profiles as some have "normal" in parentheses for some notification options? Or is Normal just another profile to set like the others?
    04-19-10 02:20 PM
    So settings in "NORMAL" have NO effect on any other profile settings?
    04-19-10 04:01 PM
    The best answer to this is to test for yourself. Make some changes and see if they change anywhere else.
    04-19-10 04:03 PM
    All other profiles are "based" off the NORMAL profile. It establishes "default" values

Changes you make to the NORMAL profile will affect all other profiles for any options that haven't otherwise been defined specifically for that profile.

For example, the MEDIUM profile may have distinct volume settings for ringtones, but all vibration settings are by default set to "(Normal)".
    04-19-10 04:08 PM
    Thank you for clarifying. This is an issue that seems poorly understood, or the info is poorly disseminated. But it causes problems for folks who don't get it by having profile changes for no apparent reason. I was a bit guy shy to "test" because I just upgraded to OS 5 and had major problems with profiles on OS 4.7 with the Tour. But OS 5 seems fine, and your description clarifies what my hunch had been.
    04-19-10 05:08 PM
    test for yourself and decide
    04-20-10 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD