Whut is "open gl" and whut is it used for. I assume its more for programers then your average user, but I'd like an explination of it anyway. Thanks in advance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-10 08:20 PM
    Let me go search Google and get right back to you.

yea really. i understand people post threads looking for answers, but to the OP, did you even attempt to check other sources for your answer first??? it has to do with graphics rendering.

OpenGL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"OpenGL (Open Graphics Library) is a standard specification defining a cross-language, cross-platform API for writing applications that produce 2D and 3D computer graphics. The interface consists of over 250 different function calls which can be used to draw complex three-dimensional scenes from simple primitives.

OpenGL serves two main purposes:

1.) To hide the complexities of interfacing with different 3D accelerators, by presenting the programmer with a single, uniform API.
    2.)To hide the differing capabilities of hardware platforms, by requiring that all implementations support the full OpenGL feature set (using software emulation if necessary).

OpenGL's basic operation is to accept primitives such as points, lines and polygons, and convert them into pixels."
    01-24-10 09:59 PM
    Yea its true man just do a lil search and you find a Anwser ; )

01-24-10 10:14 PM
    Thanks dictoresno. And I know, u caught me bein lazy. Normaly I would have looked it up but the Wiki on my phone takes so long to read and a lot of scrolling and I won't have internet at my house till tomorow. Plus sometimes whut people post on wiki about things like that I have to read over 3 or 4 times to understand so I was looking for a "dumbed down" explination.

01-25-10 11:54 AM
    I had to edit the thread title, please remember to ....(from our Forum Posting Rules)......

Use a Descriptive Title

This rule is simple; help us to help you. When you create your thread / post, think of it as if 'someone else' is reading it. With that in mind, make your subject lines related to the content of your post. Having a subject line of 'help' or 'now what', will not really help others later when they do a search for a particular issue. So, try to be a little more creative. Example: “My Pearl will not show myFaves icons” or “How do I use BB Maps on my 8100”
    01-25-10 12:09 PM
    Ok...sorry again...I failed twice

01-25-10 07:21 PM
    OpenGL does not provide a single uniform API. Every implementation is totally different. For example, compare two common implementations for Java: Java3D is object-orientated and JOGL is procedural. When you combine them with other APIs, some work and some don't. It's a mess.
    Last edited by flop; 01-25-10 at 08:33 PM.
    01-25-10 08:31 PM
    Ok...sorry again...I failed twice

Nay you're cool, just reminding you. Plus thread titles is like a pet peeve of mine. It's not a huge deal, BUT it does help us help you if you give the thread a good title, plus it helps the next guy too.
    01-25-10 08:42 PM
    True true. But most of the time I can ask the question with the title alone and would have nothing for the body, so I just use it to ramble...like I'm doing now

01-27-10 03:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD