I was wondering if I could get some info. I currently have an old Pearl (8100) and I would like to update it. Unfortunately I'm only about a year and half into the 3 year agreement with Fido.
    Fido offers the Curve 8520 for $400, which seems like a lot for an older phone. I've also seen the Torch unlocked for $650 in town. I'm not sure if the Torch would be fully functional on the Fido plan but if so then an additional $250 seems like almost worth it for a much newer phone.

So anyway I'm wondering if anyone could let me know if the unlocked phone would actually work properly and if there are other/cheaper places to get them.

The other option would be to get the 'cheaper' Curve and then upgrade once my agreement is up.
    I'd love to get some input, thanks!
    12-11-10 06:46 PM
    Yes an unlocked Torch should work on Fido, HOWEVER the service books might be an issue. Does Fido have a BB with 6.0 software? Do they have the 9780 for example? Either way though the Torch should work, it's just the service books probably will not be fully optimized for 6.0 software yet.
    zuma022 likes this.
    12-11-10 06:56 PM
    Thanks pkcable. Fido doesn't have any BBs other than the Curve and the Pearl. Not sure if it would be an issue.
    I had another thought, I think it might actually work out cheaper to pay the early cancellation fee on the Fido plan and switch to Bell or something. Hmmm.
    12-12-10 12:10 PM
    I've heard that since Rogers "owns" fido, that you could switch to Rogers, and not have to pay the cancellation fees. It wouldn't hurt to call fido, and Rogers to ask and see what they both say

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    zuma022 likes this.
    12-12-10 12:45 PM
    You can get a telus/bell/virgin/rogers BB and unlock it and it will work on Fido.
    12-12-10 12:52 PM
    I've heard that since Rogers "owns" fido, that you could switch to Rogers, and not have to pay the cancellation fees. It wouldn't hurt to call fido, and Rogers to ask and see what they both say

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That is correct. You can switch from Fido to Rogers vice versa, after being into your contract for at least 1 year without cancellation fees. So many customers switch back and forth without cancellation fees. Just sign a new 3 year with Rogers and you should be fine OP.
    zuma022 likes this.
    12-12-10 01:13 PM
    Thanks everyone. I ended up switching to Rogers without penalty. Love the Torch.
    12-12-10 07:28 PM
    Your welcome
    12-13-10 10:16 AM
    Excellent! THe Torch is a great model.
    12-13-10 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD