Nooooob needs some serious advice on which BB to buy please because the 7290 I was given was/is driving me nuts and have come to the conclusion that it is the age of the 7290 that is the root of my problems - happy to hear if it isn't true.

BB service is provided by O2 in the UK and my needs are reasonably simple (I think).

I need to be able to access the GMail site directly so that I can access the email that I don't want pushed through BIS.

Travelling from time to time, so would like (not essential though) a "round the world" BB.

A good QWERTY keyboard is a must for me.

Bluetooth too.

Wear spectacles for close work and so need a good, clear screen.

Can't afford a ton of cash for this (100/$150 max) and expect to be buying second user

Everything else would be nice to play with but are not essential for my date to day needs, unless I have missed something due to me being a noob.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    03-29-10 12:24 PM
    I'm not familiar with O2's line up. If you are looking Blackberry and cheap I'd say go with a Pearl or a Curve 85xx.
    03-29-10 12:27 PM
    I'd stick to Curve, only because you're accessing Gmail through the Google app. You'll probably appreciate a bit bigger screen.
    03-29-10 12:29 PM
    @K Bear - thanks for that. Can buy just about any BB here in the UK, all unlocked, and so am not sure if the actual BBs available through O2 makes a difference? Told you I was a noob !!
    03-29-10 12:31 PM
    @Clueless, I did not know that all phones are unlocked. Regardless, my suggestions are still valid though. And as the other poster stated, the Curve line definitely is the way to go then.
    03-29-10 12:32 PM
    You should look into the 83XX or 85XX series and they're pretty cheap too.
    03-29-10 12:32 PM
    85xx series is the newest of the Curve line and has a trackpad.
    03-29-10 12:40 PM
    Hey, this is great - instant service - BRILLIANT.

Thanks for the suggestions, have been having a bit of a look at specs and it seems that the 8520 would be nice but it is likely to break my budget but it looks much nicer (to me) than the 8310.
    03-29-10 12:52 PM
    Do you pay monthly on o2? Looking at their website seems that the 8520 is free on all tariffs if you pay monthly. Don't know the specifics but might be worth checking out.
    03-29-10 01:30 PM
    @cdowner - Hi, I have a SIM only 12 month contract in the UK and took it out based on the old 7290 I had been given. It seems the 7290 doesn't do what's needed and so I have to buy a more modern one. All in all, it looks as if I will still save money over going the contract route with a "free" 8520 - well, I hope I will.
    03-29-10 01:43 PM
    Hey, this is great - instant service - BRILLIANT.

Thanks for the suggestions, have been having a bit of a look at specs and it seems that the 8520 would be nice but it is likely to break my budget but it looks much nicer (to me) than the 8310.
    If you're given the option between those two devices I would recommend dropping a little more money and get the 8520. It's going to allow you to run the newest versions of OS (5.0), it has 4 times the application memory of the 8310, and a faster processor. In the long run it's going to be a much better device.
    03-29-10 01:53 PM
    @elvin1983 - Hi, would LOVE to have the 8520, for all of the reasons mentioned but, even used, it's going to hit me for about 50% more than the 83xx. Mind you, in time, that's going to work out as peanuts, I guess. However, the bank manager might not see it that way.
    03-29-10 02:00 PM
    @elvin1983 - Hi, would LOVE to have the 8520, for all of the reasons mentioned but, even used, it's going to hit me for about 50% more than the 83xx. Mind you, in time, that's going to work out as peanuts, I guess. However, the bank manager might not see it that way.
    LOL that's understandable, and there is nothing wrong with the 8310, it's a fine device, I used to have an 8330 that I really liked.
    I'm just saying that if it's possible to somehow work the 8520 I think you'll be happier in the long run, especially if you have to sign a contract term. I don't know how it works over in the UK.
    03-29-10 02:28 PM
    @elvin1983 - already in a SIM only BB contract with O2 for 20/$30 per month for 12 months but only realised how "bad" the 7290 was/is when I tried to access GMail directly.

I think that I will just have to be patient and wait until a good deal comes up on ScrewBay for the 8520, as I can still use the 7290 for push and the Internet and phone OK until then. Thought I was hoping for a lot of luck when I switched on the 7290.

BTW, any suggestions please for some free software for importing address books into an IPD? Don't use Outlook and so that route is a no no. Need to import from my trusty Nokia 6300.

Thanks again for your input.
    03-29-10 04:15 PM
    Clueless, I'm on 02 in the UK and have an 8310. I also have an 8520 in my possession at the moment - I'm looking after it for my work so I don't use it as a phone. It does have wi-fi however so I've spent a bit of time browsing with it. I've also got a 7290 which I use just to wind my mates up and the difference between that and the Curves is pretty huge heh heh!

I agree with all above about the superiority of the 8520 with its wi-fi and bigger device memory (this allows you to store more applications and install the latest operating software 5.0 or whatever it is, bit like BB's windows 7 vs Vista or whatever on the 8310) but when it comes to videos and songs, you can stash untold amounts on any Curve because they take swappable micro SD memory cards of up to 32gig.

There are two things that I still like better about my Curve 8310 vs the Curve 8520 and they are quite apparent when you use the devices side by side.

The first is the keyboard. On the 8310, the buttons are more distinct and even easier to hit. The keyboard is also physically curved outwards a bit so it's more ergonomic. When I go back to the 8520 keyboard it feels flatter and more fiddly.

The second is build quality. The 8310 is a much sturdier phone no question. The screen is super tough and unlike any phone I've seen, even the 7290 which is a tank itself. The plastic case is more rigid and stronger than the 8520 too.

To be fair though, of course the 8520 still is a good keyboard, but I personally find I am able to hack away for ages on the 8310 creating intricate emails or docs, but the 8520 doesn't encourage me to do that so much. Maybe I could get used to it.

The 8520 overall will be more future proof but if you can only afford a cheaper BlackBerry to get you into the brand, the 8310 will do a very good job for you. I should also point out it works brilliantly in any country I take it to, no matter how far off the beaten track. You can get a bolt on for 20 a month over three months that lets you use unlimited email, internet and BB messenger when you are abroad.

You'll also be surprised with the media player that comes with this phone if your only experience so far is the 7290, oh and of course it also has a built in GPS for Google Maps and sat nav.

A question for you though, why don't you want to push your Gmail through BIS? You could set it up as a separate account and handle and reply to all Gmails in their own right...
    Last edited by dodger_moore; 03-29-10 at 05:58 PM.
    03-29-10 05:54 PM
    Clueless,
    <Very Large Snip>
    A question for you though, why don't you want to push your Gmail through BIS? You could set it up as a separate account and handle and reply to all Gmails in their own right...
    Hi Dodger and thank you for the ton of useful information in your post.

Have quoted the bit from your post because I have no idea about multiple accounts using push - have enough trouble gettimg my noob head around one. Bog standard GMail I understand and that just doesn't work on my 7290 and it won't update the OS either as the Loader gives an indeterminate error every time I try (not even an error code to check out) telling me to do it again.

Completely off-topic, shall be down in your neck of the woods in 3 weeks.
    03-29-10 06:48 PM
    No problem Clueless, course if I'd have known that Berry Writer was going to come along with such a beautifully elegant solution I would have saved myself the trouble!

Ahem.

Regarding the Gmail 7290 issue, yes the Gmail app. won't load because the phone is too old. What you have to do is add your gmail account to your phone. Apols. if you have already tried this but here are the steps: (and it's a lot simpler than it looks)

1. Log on to your gmal account on your PC.
    2. Click on settings, and then click on FORWARDING POP/IMAP
    3. Enable POP DOWNLOAD, enable IMAP ACCESS
    4. New tab, click this link just to be sure https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha
    5. Go to your phone, go to EMAIL SET UP, then ADD NEW ACCOUNT and add your Gmail Account.

A new Email icon for your Gmail should now appear on your phone's home screen. You can do this with up to ten different accounts.

Where are you heading to in Cornwall?
    Last edited by dodger_moore; 03-30-10 at 04:14 AM.
    03-30-10 04:11 AM
    Regarding the Gmail 7290 issue, yes the Gmail app. won't load because the phone is too old. What you have to do is add your gmail account to your phone. Apols. if you have already tried this but here are the steps: (and it's a lot simpler than it looks)

Where are you heading to in Cornwall?
    Hi D_M and thanks for your thoughts. Had a bash at this because I thought I had missed something when I went through set-up but seems not. If I try to ADD NEW Account, the 7290 says that I already have one (and refers me to O2) - this is true as it deals with the push email that I already have set up. I can see no way to add an account - what am I missing please?

------

Down your way means that we will be coming as far as the frontier between Devon and Cornwall and resting in Paignton until our multiple entry visa application gets approved.

Regards
    03-30-10 07:12 AM
    Hmm, that's a tricky one re: adding Gmail address to 7290. I've just done it to my Curve 8310 no problem; I've just tried it with my 7290 and nothing seemed to happen. Strange as I'm sure in the past I've been able to add extra addresses if I wanted to.

It's not a fix, and I don't know if you want to do this but you can forward your Gmail messages automatically to your email address that is currently synced to your BB. Do this from the settings on Gmail. You can also set it so that it retains a copy Gmail so you can still access it from your computer.

Ah yes, you'll need to forward written planning in triplicate for your Visa, Paignton is a nice place to lay up whilst it is processed. Have you tried Rattler?
    03-30-10 11:12 AM
    It's not a fix, and I don't know if you want to do this but you can forward your Gmail messages automatically to your email address that is currently synced to your BB. Do this from the settings on Gmail. You can also set it so that it retains a copy Gmail so you can still access it from your computer.
    You're right, I want to avoid this so that I can keep the stuff that has to go through push separate from my "own" stuff.

By the way, what do you think of 9000?

Ah yes, you'll need to forward written planning in triplicate for your Visa, Paignton is a nice place to lay up whilst it is processed. Have you tried Rattler?
    As I don't drink and drive - No!! and in any case, it's not easily if at all available on my side of the border - is it?

BTW, which bit of Kernow do you inhabit?
    Last edited by clueless969; 03-30-10 at 02:03 PM.
    03-30-10 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD