Just new to the Blackberry and someone mentioned this sight for a noobie like myself and from a quick glance I'm sure they directed me to a great BB resource for help as one coming form the Windows Mobile Smartphones. I've begun reading the BB primer info. that is very helpful but still need advise/suggestions for the following.

I apologize if this post is too long or detailed but I am new to the BB world and would like to "start-out" right with the setup of this wonderfully stable device.

I would really appreciate some help in determining how to setup by BB Tour that I purchased(Verizon) for personal use but would really make my life easier at work if I connected it to the Outlook Exchange server with this but am hesitant due to the company policies/restriction to the use of my personal device and would like to know if there's a work-around for the type of comments made by my company about use on the company Outlook Server as detailed below:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Company reply when asking to add my personal BB Tour to Company Outlook Echange Server...

"Here are the requirements for setting up email on a personal blackberry. It appears that you would not be able to remove the internet policy once added. Let me know how you would like to proceed.

For this request the status is as follows:

- CHS configuration of personal Blackberry and Smartphone devices carries the following conditions:

- 1. Once we install the CHS `security policy� it can never be removed
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    So my questions are:

1) Is this true that it can never be removed,
    2) The web access policy may limit my personal use and is there a work-around,
    3) I need to know how which setup BIS vs. BES woul benefit my personal & business needs with Personal being priority since it's my personal device,
    4) What are my options to work within the company Outlook without getting tied into the company restrictions if possible?

Again, thank you in advance for the recommendation as I begin the conversion to BB from WM.

bimerguy1
    08-28-09 04:46 PM
    An IT policy can be removed...

You can leave Desktop Manager(the CD that comes with the device) running on your work PC, then have your work emails forwarded to the device, that is how people who have a personal BlackBerry get their work emails where I work. They do this because they don't want to be on BES...
    08-28-09 04:50 PM
    it policy can be removed, just did it today lol
    use jl_cmder and reset to factory and voila
    08-28-09 05:09 PM
    it policy can be removed, just did it today lol
    use jl_cmder and reset to factory and voila
    Exactly what I was thinking but I would have suggested BBSAK (Blackberry Swiss Army Knife) V 1.5 Which you can get here BB Geeks - Blackberry Information, News and Reviews on Software, Accessories and more.

It's a very handy and easy to use tool.
    08-28-09 05:14 PM
    Exactly what I was thinking but I would have suggested BBSAK (Blackberry Swiss Army Knife) V 1.5 Which you can get here BB Geeks - Blackberry Information, News and Reviews on Software, Accessories and more.

It's a very handy and easy to use tool.
    link to actual app as i cant find it
    08-28-09 05:18 PM
    Thx for the quick replies...

So if the IT policy is installed to allow my use of the company Outlook Exchange server, what will happen to my access if I remove it...can I still use it as if I'm direct connected?

I would not benefit too much from forwarding to the device as I work in service and travel with a laptop and no desktop and my laptop if off(put away) until I need it at a site.

Plus I want to benfit from having the business e-mails handled directly with replies and company address book.

Good suggestions I will consider. Any comments on my reply herein???

Best Regards
    08-28-09 05:25 PM
    I am a lot less knowledgeable then a lot of people on this forum and I don't know what kind of work you do, yet at my job they are very strict about my bb. I have classified email and other **** and I can be fired and prosecuted if I mess around with anything. I have two chances to enter in a 9 digit pw before my device gets wiped. There is other stuff going on I'm sure that I don't get to know about nor do I want to. I know mine is a little extreme but be for warned that some companies take their security very seriously.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 05:59 PM
    Is your BB a company provided device. And do you mean that you BB will "brick" if you don't enter the PW right after 2x?
    08-28-09 06:12 PM
    Is your BB a company provided device. And do you mean that you BB will "brick" if you don't enter the PW right after 2x?
    phone doesnt brick once you enter the wrong pw
    it deletes the stuff on it so the supposed thief cant get info

removing the it policy will allow you to dl and install apps, more freely, it policy is a restriction from the company or w/e
    08-28-09 06:23 PM
    I say go with BIS(personal) anyone else agree?
    08-28-09 06:34 PM
    I say go with BIS(personal) anyone else agree?
    /signeddddddddddd
    08-28-09 06:37 PM
    There is other stuff going on I'm sure that I don't get to know about nor do I want to. I know mine is a little extreme but be for warned that some companies take their security very seriously.

Mine does, we also keep your info on our servers for two years...
    08-28-09 06:40 PM
    You guys are freat to help and I hear alot of good responses and it seems to me that since I have not even activated the BB Tour yet, that I need a bit more clarification about this subject if I want to start out without going backwards(Clearing the IS Security stuff and do-over).

So, here's a couple of direct questions:
    1) If I use the BES and connect then I could remove the security and still use the BES Outlook connection?
    2) If I use the Desktop Mgr and have work e-mails forwarded to the device, can I reply to the FWD e-mails as though I'm on the company Outlook Server?
    08-28-09 07:31 PM
    This thread has focused on email but one of the greatest things about BES is that it completely syncs *all* Outlook functions including Email. Tasks, Address Book, Notes, and Calendar.

To your questions:
    1) You cannot remove the security and still use BES. Once you sign up for BES your soul belongs to the BES Admin.
    2) Rather than forwarding emails using Desktop Manager, the typical method would be to set up a BIS connection to OWA, in which case you would get your emails wirelessly. The ReplyTo address is configured during the setup of the account.

08-28-09 09:51 PM
    Thx jbeachy,
    I will not go BES.

Please tell me nore about OWA without initials so I can use this method.
    08-29-09 10:47 AM
    OWA = Outlook Web Access.

Of the companies I know that use Microsoft Exchange, most set up their Exchange servers to allow web access from a browser. This exposes the email system to an authenticated web access. This in turn plays right into the BIS environment, as you can create a standard BIS account on your BlackBerry for your company's email system that will wirelessly receive and send company email without desktop redirection or the need to be connected to your desktop.

I've helped set up a number of my colleagues' personal devices on our company's OWA account. Quite often you don't even need to know the Exchange server's name: simply supplying your login credentials during setup is enough. But sometimes, for reasons I don't understand, the server's name including domain is required so it's a good idea to have that information.

Note that this will sync only email and will not replicate any InBox subfolders you might have set up in Outlook (you'll get the mail, just not in subfolders). Only BES gives you complete and seamless synchronization of folders and all other Outlook functions.

Sorry for the length of this post. Hope it helps. Incidentally, I'm a passionate BES fan and would go to great lengths to have BES even if I didn't have a company-supplied device. I also have 4 BIS accounts on the same device. YMMV :-)

Last edited by jbeachy; 08-29-09 at 12:22 PM.
    08-29-09 11:54 AM
    Thx again jbeachy and good detail for me at this level of BB usage.

My company has a web access through a "secure token" type method and the secure token to access changes every 60 sec on my keyfob provided, but once logged-in this does not matter and would be required(I think) each time I want to access my Outlook from the web, right? Or is there a more straight-forward way to do this, even with a cycling secure-token required for each log-in?

Can you advise me with a web access that my company has that is referred to as webapps.carolinas.org. And how would I set this type access up for OWA you've refrred to?

I really do appreciate the advise/guidance as I was once a Windows Mobile user and now feel that BB is the more reliable solution for my needs and I have a large learning curve that I don't mind but I really need to get this device useful for business.
    08-29-09 02:51 PM
    Bimerguy, I'm afraid use of tokens with BlackBerry is outside my area of knowledge. I did a forum search for "token" and a number of threads popped up that looked promising but I can't say I've actually reviewed 'em.

Meanwhile, I'd encourage you to check with your IT folks to see if they grant OWA access to a BlackBerry. If they have BES then they will most certainly know BIS and OWA as well. Let us know what you find out. If access is available, you just set up the account like any BIS account, from your device or the carrier's BIS website. If you need help when you get to that point, let us know.

08-29-09 08:43 PM
    Mine does, we also keep your info on our servers for two years...
    Same here...probably longer lol. Our IT security measures are almost Draconian...or maybe that's how the ****** IT director @ my job presents it.

Nonetheless, I read somewhere that BES grants your company's IT dept access to call logs, BBM logs and other stuff. And since I like to badmouth my job via BBM to the GF, I figured it would be better to just use BIS and sync my Outlook Calendar with Google Sync (can't even use BB Redirector on my laptop...as I said...Draconian).
    08-29-09 08:52 PM
    Thanks for researched this from your experience.

I will check with my IT and BIS w/ OWA and report back. The company does have BES for company issued BB's but I typically don't wait for the issue of a good tool for my job and I also benefit from the personal use. So, I will use BIS & hope they have an OWA method but reaaly doubt it since they would not usually spend resources for personal device use when they have already provided the "secure-token" remote access.
    08-29-09 09:47 PM
    Well, I tried to get my personal BB Tour to have direct access to the company Outlook w/o being tied-down to the security policy and the option using OWA was not available at this time.
    So, I'm currently just forwarding my business e-mails from outlook to my personal e-mail account to view on my BB.
    The problem with this is to reply to the received business e-mails is not easy since I have to find and insert the original e-mail address of ALL the original e-mails so I can reply as to these business e-mails.

Maybe there's a better way to alias my personal e-mail replies as though I'm e-mailing through my business address???

Is this possible to do with same gmail sync, etc.???
    09-01-09 10:22 AM
    Thx jbeachy,
    I will not go BES.

Please tell me nore about OWA without initials so I can use this method.
    OWA is Outlook Web Access -- If your employer has a web interface to their e-mail, this is how it is done. You will need to go to your provider's BIS setup and point your account at the URL for your company's OWA server.
    09-01-09 10:31 AM
    crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-2-bes-and-bis-whats-difference

This is a good article to read, cleared up a lot of things for me. I did not know that BES is like a VPN to my company's network and any data traffic will go trough the corporate network and will be monitored and filtered as such....
    09-09-09 04:40 PM
    I got Blackberry Top Secret Internet Service-BTSIS! I would choose BIS, unlike me big brother is always watching me and stuff. I'm not on BES though.

Thnx, �Tripster�

09-09-09 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD