This is one of those features people don't believe they need or want until it's too late or until they own a phone with it

Now that I own a phone with IP68, going to one without it would be a huge stepback.
    Has IP68 been benificial to you? I'm just curious, I understand accidents involving water but I highly doubt that in those situations happen frequently. Don't get me wrong I've ruined a couple devices because of water (slipped and fell into a pool) but that rarely happens lol

Posted via CB10
    07-19-17 09:38 AM
    Has IP68 been benificial to you? I'm just curious, I understand accidents involving water but I highly doubt that in those situations happen frequently. Don't get me wrong I've ruined a couple devices because of water (slipped and fell into a pool) but that rarely happens lol

Posted via CB10
    It has. I have always found creative ways to clean my phones or protect them from my perspiration when using them in gym, but with my S7E I just use it and let it get dripped on and then dip it in warm clean water to wash it and keep it clean.

Even when swimming or in the bath, it stays near the water and gets wet, but no damage. Also when having drinks with friends, we often leave our phones on the table, my S7E has probably had about as much tequila and whiskey as I've had, lol!

At first it's a weird feeling but after a while you get used to it as you know the phone won't get damaged. If drinks spill on it you dip it in water and presto, clean! If it gets water on it you just whipe it and done.
    07-19-17 09:46 AM
    It has. I have always found creative ways to clean my phones or protect them from my perspiration when using them in gym, but with my S7E I just use it and let it get dripped on and then dip it in warm clean water to wash it and keep it clean.

Even when swimming or in the bath, it stays near the water and gets wet, but no damage. Also when having drinks with friends, we often leave our phones on the table, my S7E has probably had about as much tequila and whiskey as I've had, lol!

At first it's a weird feeling but after a while you get used to it as you know the phone won't get damaged. If drinks spill on it you dip it in water and presto, clean! If it gets water on it you just whipe it and done.
    Very interesting, with that said it makes sense, good examples! In the end it's all personal preference. Tell me something though, since your phone drinks as well does it ever make drunk phone calls on its own lol

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-19-17 09:57 AM
    Very interesting, with that said it makes sense, good examples! In the end it's all personal preference. Tell me something though, since your phone drinks as well does it ever make drunk phone calls on its own lol

Posted via CB10
    LOL!!!!

It's been known to do drunken group texts in WhatsApp, most of then incomprehensible!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-19-17 12:43 PM
    As I said this is a convenience factor and not necessary or integral to the function or usability of the phone. And it never will be.
    07-19-17 01:47 PM
    As I said this is a convenience factor and not necessary or integral to the function or usability of the phone. And it never will be.
    Agree so much. Is it convenient to have it .... Yes! But I'm not going to have it in my next phone which will be the oneplus 3t. I'm sure I will be fine.
    07-19-17 09:45 PM
    Same could be said about a lot of features on a Modern Phone.

Heck I remember a time where GPS and Camera in a phone were spoken of in such a way, lol.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-20-17 12:24 AM
    GPS and camera may not be necessary or integral but there's no comparison between those things and waterproof protection. Wow, you can pour whiskey on your phone. Who gives a flying ####. GPS let's you navigate places you need to go and camera let's you take pics without the need for another device.
    07-20-17 02:12 AM
    "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. "

And for the record, IP68-rated devices are water resistant, not waterproof. Big difference.
    Last edited by johnny_bravo72; 07-20-17 at 03:54 AM.
    Praganad and kbz1960 like this.
    07-20-17 02:39 AM

And for the record, IP68-rated devices are water resistant, not waterproof. Big difference.
    Agreed on both points.
    07-20-17 04:40 AM
    Same could be said about a lot of features on a Modern Phone.

Heck I remember a time where GPS and Camera in a phone were spoken of in such a way, lol.
    As it increases in popularity, the reasons to omit water resistance tend toward cost-cutting more than anything else.
    07-20-17 08:01 AM

Nobody needs to be able to poor whiskey on their phone or dip it in pool water to clean it. Again it is completely 100% about convenience and nothing else. The amount of real world instances where having a waterproof (semantics and no one cares) phone is absolutely necessary is probably close to nil and most if not all of them could be completely attributed to user error. It also eliminates the necessity to be careful, not something I personally view as a good thing. In 14 years I have not once lost a phone to water damage. I would say the only people who might actually need IP68 would be those who can't avoid being near water while getting work done. Nobody else actually needs it because accidents and such can be avoided by being careful.
    07-20-17 11:29 AM
    As it increases in popularity, the reasons to omit water resistance tend toward cost-cutting more than anything else.
    Yep, that makes sense.

Looking at all the Top Flagship Androids between 2016 and 2017, the very top end ones in terms of Spec and Price have IP68 Dust Proofing and Water Resistance or AT LEAST Splash and Dust Resistance in the case of Google Pixel and a few others.

The Chinese phones and BlackBerrys are the ones that mainly don't come with it.
    07-20-17 11:31 AM

Well stated Johnny! But you forgot to say th whoo haa before and after =)

Posted via CB10
    07-20-17 12:17 PM
    For my work phone (9900), couldn't care less about water/dust resistance. It's left on my desk or in my car after I clock out.

It's my personal phone (Sony Xperia Z3) that I prefer having more protection. It's with me most of the time, hence, more chances of it getting into an accident. Better safe than sorry.

Also, the Z3 is frickin' easy to clean. If it gets smudged up, I just run it through faucet water, dry it up with a cleaning cloth (or sometimes my shirt lol), and Bob's your uncle.
    07-20-17 01:11 PM
    I still and always will see it as a matter of convenience, nothing more nothing less. Mobile phones have been around for over 30 years and we have managed fine without IP68 or suffered the rightful consequences of carelessness. There is nothing anyone can say to convince me otherwise and those who continue to try sound like nothing more than fanboys to me.
    07-20-17 01:38 PM
    For my work phone (9900), couldn't care less about water/dust resistance. It's left on my desk or in my car after I clock out.

It's my personal phone (Sony Xperia Z3) that I prefer having more protection. It's with me most of the time, hence, more chances of it getting into an accident. Better safe than sorry.

Also, the Z3 is frickin' easy to clean. If it gets smudged up, I just run it through faucet water, dry it up with a cleaning cloth (or sometimes my shirt lol), and Bob's your uncle.
    How awesome is it!? I remember when Sony first brought IP Protection to their flagships with the Xperia Z, I really did envy Z users as I am obsessed with keeping my phone as clean as possible, as it catches anything you touch throughout the day.

You can imagine my joy when I finally got a IP68 phone in the S7 Edge, don't even think twice about dipping it or putting it under the faucet.

Every phone should be like this.
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    07-20-17 04:54 PM
    How awesome is it!? I remember when Sony first brought IP Protection to their flagships with the Xperia Z, I really did envy Z users as I am obsessed with keeping my phone as clean as possible, as it catches anything you touch throughout the day.

You can imagine my joy when I finally got a IP68 phone in the S7 Edge, don't even think twice about dipping it or putting it under the faucet.

Every phone should be like this.
    Except some of us don't care about IP68 and don't want to spend $800 on a phone so no, every phone should not have it.
    07-20-17 05:05 PM
    Except some of us don't care about IP68 and don't want to spend $800 on a phone so no, every phone should not have it.
    Then don't buy a phone with it either way at some point when it's cheap enough to be put into mid and low end devices they will do it.

Don't know how you will try avoid having it then.
    07-21-17 12:02 AM
    And one doesn't even have to spend $800 for an IP68-rated phone. Samsung's recent A series (A3/A5/A7), older flagships (Xperia/Galaxy), and even some relatively uncommon midrangers (Blackview/Kyocera/Blu/CAT) are great examples of such.
    07-21-17 04:15 AM
    Just picked up a Kyocera Duraforce Pro to replace my Z30. Couldn't wait for TCL to sort out the issues with the KEYone. This device is designed to take a beating.
    07-21-17 06:21 AM
    I really feel that for most people, it's more of a convenience than an actual need. Including those in this thread who've mentioned it. The word fanboy comes to mind.
    I agree the idea that a feature like water resistance isn't important, just because BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile doesn't offer it, sounds a lot like fanboyism.

It's a form of insurance.... might never "need" it, but when you do your glad you have it. And it's not all that costly for an OEM to incorporate. But then neither is a little glue or double sided tape behind the screen... (which for many is part of their waterproofing)
    07-21-17 07:37 AM
    I agree the idea that a feature like water resistance isn't important, just because BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile doesn't offer it, sounds a lot like fanboyism.
    "I really feel that for most people, (fingerprint scanners|wireless charging|USB-C|touch screens|apps|other thing that BlackBerry doesn't have) is more of a convenience than an actual need."
    kbz1960 and MikeX74 like this.
    07-21-17 08:56 AM
    I don't really care what you all think about my opinion. It hasn't changed.
    07-21-17 09:30 AM
    I don't really care what you all think about my opinion. It hasn't changed.
    No one's forcing you to change. We just have our own opinions/preferences as well.
    07-21-17 09:40 AM
58 123