It's 11:25PM on Friday and I'm still trying to move my data from my old 9800 to a 9860.

The basis problem is not all of my emails were migrated by DM's Device Switcher. Fine, sometimes technology breaks down.

But ... I've been on the phone twice to Telus. Their Tier 2 tech support reps can't help me. "The backup takes a snapshot of all the data that was on the original phone and puts it on the new one". And when I tell them I understand that's what is "supposed" to happen, but it hasn't, therefore there's a problems and that's what I need help with, they repeat that and give me RIM's tech support number. They can't even transfer me. And when I call RIM, their "per-incident" line is only for Exchange or Groupwise or other enterprise level issues. I'm a single user on BIS.

With Apple, I can call with credit card in hand, or take my phone to the local Genius Bar.

I experienced exactly this when I had problems with my Storm and Storm 2.

RIM doesn't just need apps, they need a whole support infrastructure too.

- R.
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-21-12 01:30 AM
    To be honest the DM does take a snampshot of your old device and transfer everything to your new one. This has NEVER happened with me and I have done countless device switches.
    Not saying that this didn't occur with you however. Seems odd.
    I don't think there is a way out of what happened with you. Once you close your DM the temp file of your old phone is gone.
    01-21-12 01:41 AM
    To be honest the DM does take a snampshot of your old device and transfer everything to your new one. This has NEVER happened with me and I have done countless device switches.
    I don't think there is a way out of what happened with you. Once you close your DM the temp file of your old phone is gone.
    Your kinda missing the OPs point. it isnt the fact that hes having issues with his DM its the fact that RIM support has no support for the little guy and that needs to change as their market charges.
    01-21-12 01:51 AM
    Do the process correctly

I've done this process 23 times last year, and 4 to imws since The year started, (I buy and sell my phones). Never encountered what you're talking about. Even if you don't do a device switch and just "restore" a backup from a different phone to the new device it shouldn't happen.
    01-21-12 01:53 AM
    Your kinda missing the OPs point. it isnt the fact that hes having issues with his DM its the fact that RIM support has no support for the little guy and that needs to change as their market charges.
    Agreed - if RIM wants to remain viable in the consumer space, it has to have an infrastructure in place for support. As much as I am not an Apple fan, the OP has it right.
    phonejunky likes this.
    01-21-12 07:40 AM
    Do the process correctly

I've done this process 23 times last year, and 4 to imws since The year started, (I buy and sell my phones). Never encountered what you're talking about. Even if you don't do a device switch and just "restore" a backup from a different phone to the new device it shouldn't happen.
    Capture the point rather acting superior! The point is when it does not go perfect like always for you, getting help seems difficult in comparison.

I have done the process dozens of times and it does always go right. It does 95%, but not 100. Technology is rarely perfect.
    01-21-12 07:40 AM
    The op makes a great point and seems like some people in the thread are completely missing his point. Getting support from RIM is very tough. Most of the time they don't fix the problem they give you a ticket number and never call you back.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-21-12 07:49 AM
    The op makes a great point and seems like some people in the thread are completely missing his point. Getting support from RIM is very tough. Most of the time they don't fix the problem they give you a ticket number and never call you back.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II
    Only partly true. I had an AppWorld issue that was escalated from AT&T support to RIM support. I was given a ticket number. Over the next 8 or 9 days, there was regular contact, both by phone and email, till the bug was found and fixed.

Some here are missing one very real point. Possibly the op, as well. If the op calls RIM tech support, the cost to him is $50/hour USD. If the contact is a carrier initiated ticket, it's free to the customer. By giving the op a phone number, Telus is letting the op pay for support. So, whose support dept. blew it? Not RIM.
    01-21-12 08:04 AM
    Some here are missing one very real point. Possibly the op, as well. If the op calls RIM tech support, the cost to him is $50/hour USD. If the contact is a carrier initiated ticket, it's free to the customer. By giving the op a phone number, Telus is letting the op pay for support. So, whose support dept. blew it? Not RIM.
    The "She was asking for it, dressed like that and walking around at that time of night"-attitude so often prevalent on crackberrys forums is frankly unbelievable.

OBVIOUSLY it's RIM who blew it... Did Telus design and build the device? Did they build the cumbersome software and OS on the device? Of course not... RIM did, they're responsible, and they should own up to it and make it right for the customer.

But here is the OPs point, a point that's usually ignored by RIM apologists... No device is perfect, even iPhones, though they do a great job at just working, sometimes have a glitch. But when that happens, Apple has awesome customer service. You don't get jacked around over the phone, or have to wait for days for them to get back to you. You either call them, or even better: Go to the Apple store, where a friendly, knowledgable staff takes care of your device and either fix it on the spot ( if possible) or give you a new device.

It's awesome customer service, and RIM isn't even close to the same kind of service.

Apples great service (often they don't even ask for a receipt when they service or exchange your device) is one of the reasons why many people don't mind paying a premium for their product. And why they keep coming back. RIM could really learn something here. Especially as the advantages they offer are either not unique anymore (push email) or as important as they used to be. (data compression).
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-21-12 08:23 AM
    All you have to do is reopen DM and plug your old device back up. Simple.
    I've never had a problem and talked to Rim so I don't know how their service is. It sucks if that's all the have.
    I have to say this though. On att it doesn't matter if its a samsung, motorola, blackberry, or a lg it doesn't matter when you call in with a problem they take care of it. The exception to this is the iphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-12 08:42 AM
    I agree, RIM should have an easy support line to contact like the 90-day PlayBook hotline.

There are support pages on their website and we have forums like this but sometimes the answer can't be found and talking to tech support would be a relief
    01-21-12 08:59 AM
    The "She was asking for it, dressed like that and walking around at that time of night"-attitude so often prevalent on crackberrys forums is frankly unbelievable.

OBVIOUSLY it's RIM who blew it... Did Telus design and build the device? Did they build the cumbersome software and OS on the device? Of course not... RIM did, they're responsible, and they should own up to it and make it right for the customer.

But here is the OPs point, a point that's usually ignored by RIM apologists... No device is perfect, even iPhones, though they do a great job at just working, sometimes have a glitch. But when that happens, Apple has awesome customer service. You don't get jacked around over the phone, or have to wait for days for them to get back to you. You either call them, or even better: Go to the Apple store, where a friendly, knowledgable staff takes care of your device and either fix it on the spot ( if possible) or give you a new device.

It's awesome customer service, and RIM isn't even close to the same kind of service.

Apples great service (often they don't even ask for a receipt when they service or exchange your device) is one of the reasons why many people don't mind paying a premium for their product. And why they keep coming back. RIM could really learn something here. Especially as the advantages they offer are either not unique anymore (push email) or as important as they used to be. (data compression).
    I agree with you, to a point. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that Telus left their customer having to make a paid support request when, if they initiated the contact, the consumer would pay nothing. I'm not saying RIM has stellar tech support. What I am saying is that Telus didn't do what they should have to make that support cost free. And from the description, Telus didn't even give the op the correct phone number for the proper consumer tech support area. Both of which fall back on Telus, not RIM.

Note that the op said they could call Apple "with credit card in hand". Sounds like paid tech support to me, just like RIM.

Have a nice day.
    01-21-12 10:25 AM
    RIM does have an easy way contact their support staff.
    1. Call your carrier and explain why you need support** This step is not always needed as most carriers have their BIS support numbers on their web login. Either way, they will either transfer you, or give you the number for support.

2. Either call the third party tech support number (free) Again, the number should appear on your carrier's website, or your BIS login page.

3. They will either resolve the issue, or bump it up and issue a ticket, and which point RIM actually takes over.
    01-21-12 10:33 AM
    Kinda similar to your issue when you tried to move Contacts from Android to BB, eh Sam? lol While i've (or people I know) NEVER had an issue with this, obviously you did..somtimes things don't go the way they're supposed to.

I can't say i've ever phoned tech support over anything though..but that's what they're supposed to be there for..to help.
    01-21-12 10:36 AM
    DM is a nightmare. Slow, clunky, missing features. I like iTunes much better. Google is even better because it's all OTA. Apple has the best support by far. RIM is the worst and I have never needed Google support because they have amazing database of online support that always helps.

RIM needs to work on it's so called ecosystem. Improve DM, get rid of PINS or at least make it the same as your BBID.
    01-21-12 10:41 AM
    Kinda similar to your issue when you tried to move Contacts from Android to BB, eh Sam? lol While i've (or people I know) NEVER had an issue with this, obviously you did..somtimes things don't go the way they're supposed to.

I can't say i've ever phoned tech support over anything though..but that's what they're supposed to be there for..to help.
    Yea kind of similar. Problem is in this case sh!t happened with the OP. There was a glitch and things were not supposed to happen this way. In my case the Android was desinged to work that way. Everything went OK, but thats the way the thing was designed.
    01-21-12 10:50 AM
    Rooster,
    Something just crossed my mind. Maybe you should try this and see if it helps:
    Go into your e-mail inbox and click the BB button.
    Scroll down to options.
    Select Message Display and Options
    See if the Hide Filed Messages and Hide Sent Messages options are selected? If they are then un-select them. See if you can find your messages now.
    01-21-12 12:04 PM
    DM is a nightmare. Slow, clunky, missing features. I like iTunes much better. Google is even better because it's all OTA. Apple has the best support by far. RIM is the worst and I have never needed Google support because they have amazing database of online support that always helps.

RIM needs to work on it's so called ecosystem. Improve DM, get rid of PINS or at least make it the same as your BBID.
    What do you find slow and clunky about DM? On my pc its fast and notmclunky at all. What features is missing?

01-21-12 01:15 PM
    DM is bloatware IMHO. I dislike it almost as much as iTunes.

I think RIM should take DM to the cloud as an option.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-21-12 02:24 PM

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    TBH, I like the idea of having my backup file on my computer. Cloud seems dodgy to me.

Also I prefer to have the entire executable installed before I put my device in for upgrading the OS. OTA upgrades seems rather dangerous to me. I can get at the blackberry if things go wrong. I can try and connect to the ROM in many ways.
    01-21-12 02:52 PM
    DM never gave me much trouble but i was never much a fan of it. I dont like itunes much either, in fact its not installed on my laptop or PC lol. I enjoy OTA/cloud/flashing from the device that android has for pretty much all its operations. You might have to hook it up to a computer to root it if its a new phone but even that can be done on the phone most times after a little while.
    01-21-12 03:07 PM

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    bloatware not hardly. Itunes takes nearly 1.5 times more HDD space and uses 2ce the ram. I think DM is a very useful tool to keep BBs up. Its nicenfor backing up the phone and swapping devices. Syncing works good also. I only sync data I don't sync music. I don't use itunes to play or burn media so those features is redundant for me.

01-21-12 03:50 PM

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    DM was awful back when they had Roxio. Just deleting Roxio from the PC was a PITA.
    01-21-12 04:17 PM
    Rooster,
    Something just crossed my mind. Maybe you should try this and see if it helps:
    Go into your e-mail inbox and click the BB button.
    Scroll down to options.
    Select Message Display and Options
    See if the Hide Filed Messages and Hide Sent Messages options are selected? If they are then un-select them. See if you can find your messages now.
    Thanks, Sam - checked that already. Not the problem.

- R.
    01-21-12 04:20 PM
    TBH, I like the idea of having my backup file on my computer. Cloud seems dodgy to me.

Also I prefer to have the entire executable installed before I put my device in for upgrading the OS. OTA upgrades seems rather dangerous to me. I can get at the blackberry if things go wrong. I can try and connect to the ROM in many ways.
    Fair point. Nothing bad with local backups. Still, if I can make my own via app (like Titanium Backup on Android) which can be Dropboxed, better for my needs.
    01-21-12 04:21 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD