Hi all,

From the start, let me be clear that I'm not interested in Blackberry's features (for the purpose of this thread, otherwise I love BBs!)

But, I've got an old Bold 9000 and a SIM card from my carrier that is enabled for data, but not Blackberry data.

What will happen if I put the SIM into my Bold and try to browse the web? Can I turn a Blackberry into a "normal" phone simply by changing APN settings?

I'm more concerned about costs associated with data usage on a Blackberry where the SIM isn't specifically set up for Blackberry data.

I hope this makes sense?!

Cheers for any help.
    10-25-10 09:44 AM
    Most carriers will pick up the IMEI number of the phone and they'll know that you are using a Blackberry 9000.

With that being said some carriers will automatically charge you for the BIS/BES package of the device. And some will not since it is /or claimed to be a 3rd party phone.

It'll all depend on your carrier, i'd call em and find out for sure. Just don't give your account information and ask a " generic question ". Then make your final choice of what you want to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-10 09:51 AM
    Interesting, thanks. The idea of them charging me something I haven't specifically asked for is worrying. Even so, I've turned data services off on the Bold, so hopefully everything will be fine.

I don't really need data - my HTC Desire is sorting that out for me, the SIM in the Blackberry is, for now, just for calls and SMS. Long story which I won't bore you with.
    10-25-10 09:58 AM
    i have the same problem, i just upgraded today from a BB Torch to a HTC Sensation and suddenly i cant get on the internet or use my facebook or twitter

can i not keep my new sim in my BB or will the internet features continue to fail without the old BB package?
    07-09-11 11:12 PM
    The carrier determines which services are linked to their SIM cards.

The SIM used in a non-BlackBerry product will have a data component, but it will not have the links to BlackBerry Internet Service. Lacking this component, the infrastructure to support Email, Messaging and Internet are not present.

In my experience, carriers will offer a comparable data plan to both BlackBerry and other Smartphones at similar price points.
    07-10-11 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD