Am considering buying an unlocked Nokia E71 to use on T-Mobile, who have excellent customer service and competitively low prices on most plans. But before I do, I have a few questions I'm hoping one or more of the Nokia experts or owners who lurk on this Forum can help me with...

The questions are about two of Nokia's 'FREE' services - Nokia/Ovi MAPS which work on GPS-enabled Nokias - and Nokia mail, a push mail system that works with most Nokias.

I'd like to have access to both the Map feature - and occasional email - but I don't really want to spend $20/25 extra for a data plan. Since the E71 has wifi access - it's my understanding that when I hook it up to a local wifi network (like the one I have at home, or ones in local coffee shops) - that should allow me to access Nokia/Ovi Mail - which will then forward emails to my phone....is that correct?

Second question - it's also my understanding that Nokia/Ovi Maps can be downloaded to the phone (on a free wifi connection) - and then used anywhere/anytime, thanks to the built-in GPS....even without a data plan....is that correct?

Hoping someone more knowledgeable can help me out here - thanks in advance!

-Miguel
    03-09-10 01:49 PM
    You are correct on both counts. You can specify the default connection you want the Nokia Email app uses so it can be set to a wifi access point or to data.
    Also you can download the maps over wifi as well or load them from the Nokia Map Loader from the PC. The built in GPS will take a little longer to make initial lock if you don't enable data for Assisted GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 10:48 PM
    OVI maps looks cool. Anyone use it yet? How is it compared to TeleNav?
    06-10-10 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD