Was watching CBC and they mentioned the new BlackBerry OS features but zip on the Google App access. Then Yahoo mention's only the FM tuner !

What's Up.???..are.BlackBerry users viewed as hackers with this Google APK access ! Lol

Posted via CB10
    chaseforce likes this.
    01-29-14 05:17 AM
    Doesn't it figure? The Media does not want to back BlackBerry for any reason. They don't care about the improvements. We as users have to be the promoters.
    raw_dog and mzceetee like this.
    01-29-14 05:23 AM
    yes you right @jic999 !!

i think all going to a stupid strike right now.

Chase Force - Intelligent Tracking Management
    01-29-14 05:25 AM
    Was watching CBC and they mentioned the new BlackBerry OS features but zip on the Google App access. Then Yahoo mention's only the FM tuner !

What's Up.???..are.BlackBerry users viewed as hackers with this Google APK access ! Lol

Posted via CB10
    I know !! haven't read anything decent on any of the major tech blog i follow! it's weird ******** and questionable at the same time
    01-29-14 05:26 AM
    Doesn't it figure? The Media does not want to back BlackBerry for any reason. They don't care about the improvements. We as users have to be the promoters.
    We are quiet an army
    01-29-14 05:29 AM
    Is BBRY talking about it or promoting it?
    01-29-14 06:05 AM
    I know !! haven't read anything decent on any of the major tech blog i follow! it's weird ******** and questionable at the same time
    The Verge actually updated their article on the update and even posted a photo of a Z10 running Instagram:

Update: We've successfully installed the update on a BlackBerry Z10 and are able to directly install Android apps to the phone without having to go through the conversion process required with earlier versions of the OS. We were able to get Instagram installed without issues, but Google apps such as Gmail and Chrome do not seem to work as well.
    Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 06:15 AM
    Is BBRY talking about it or promoting it?
    My question is why isn't BlackBerry talking about it?

Tizen had no problem saying that you could install android apps. BlackBerry needs to get their heads out of the sand.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, SDTRMG and Tre Lawrence like this.
    01-29-14 06:16 AM
    My question is why isn't BlackBerry talking about it?

Tizen had no problem saying that you could install android apps. BlackBerry needs to get their heads out of the sand.

Posted via CB10
    They need someone on their marketing team like the CEO of T-Mobile that isn't afraid of the media or the share holders and has a vision and gets it out there. he promotes by putting it all on the table. thats the way to do it. people like someone who isn't afraid to hold back, Blackberry is holding back... they're holding back a lot
    01-29-14 06:24 AM
    I think BlackBerry wants to wait on the announcement. They may be in talks with Google on striking a deal for direct access. They may also offer this to the consumer, but really don't want to promote it in the corporate world. They may not have the legal right to advertise it. Perhaps they want to see what fixes are required. Or perhaps since it won't run 100 percent of the apps, they don't want to draw anger to themselves. Who really knows. One thing I know is it is fantastic. I also like spreading the subtle news as my iphone and Android buddies eyes pop out and their jaws hit the floor. BlackBerry is back with a vengeance.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    01-29-14 07:43 AM
    One thing I know is it is fantastic. I also like spreading the subtle news as my iphone and Android buddies eyes pop out and their jaws hit the floor.
    01-29-14 07:45 AM
    If the feature wasn't listed in whatever notification that BlackBerry sent to media outlets, they won't mention it.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Poirots Progeny like this.
    01-29-14 08:05 AM
    BlackBerry isn't talking about it because as of right now it's incomplete. While having access to Android apps is great, many of them don't work at all and a lot of them are run slower than they would if they were native and are buggy.

If BlackBerry would release a press statement on it they would have to say "You now have access to Android apps, but you won't get any Google services with the apps that need them, and it is going to be a crap shoot on which apps will work at all, but have fun figuring out which ones will work."
    01-29-14 09:28 AM
    I would have frankly been shocked if BlackBerry put it in a news release. It's entirely up to word of mouth from BlackBerry users.
    01-29-14 11:26 AM
    I think BlackBerry wants to wait on the announcement. They may be in talks with Google on striking a deal for direct access. They may also offer this to the consumer, but really don't want to promote it in the corporate world. They may not have the legal right to advertise it. Perhaps they want to see what fixes are required. Or perhaps since it won't run 100 percent of the apps, they don't want to draw anger to themselves. Who really knows.
    I agree with everything you said up until this point.
    01-29-14 11:33 AM
    More a financial consideration... a mass exodus of users using the various Android stores will not instill much confidence in those writing native code.... This tecnichally is an undocumented feature for developers... That being said... I am sure they could have blocked general use... probably to close the app gap unoffically... as for media... being the lazy beasts they are.. all they do is retread and twist around the Press Release from BB to suite their agenda.... such it has been for the last couple of years...
    01-29-14 11:43 AM
    BlackBerry isn't talking about it because as of right now it's incomplete. While having access to Android apps is great, many of them don't work at all and a lot of them are run slower than they would if they were native and are buggy.
    This. While BlackBerry is making positive strides toward improving Android compatibility, it's not yet at a point where they're willing to field the tsunami of support tickets that would surely come in should they officially announce it. Not to mention the strain on relations with the Android developers who may experience a sour aftertaste when they're also fielding a lot of support tickets.

Given some time, it will improve to the point where Blackberry can be comfortable and officially announce support for it. Until then though, media outlets touting the Android compatibility would be doing a disservice to BlackBerry.
    01-29-14 11:45 AM

If BlackBerry would release a press statement on it they would have to say "You now have access to Android apps, but you won't get any Google services with the apps that need them, and it is going to be a crap shoot on which apps will work at all, but have fun figuring out which ones will work."
    Please do tell us about the many apps that do not work, are slower, or are buggy. Inquiring minds want to know.
    01-29-14 01:27 PM
    Please do tell us about the many apps that do not work, are slower, or are buggy. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Sure.

Google Maps - Slow to lock in and won't allow you to save any data because you can't sign in to google services.

Jawbone Bluetooth app - Doesn't' work at all.

Trulia - doesn't work at all

Realtor.com - Doesn't work at all

ATorrent/Utorrent - Doesn't work at all.

Shazaam - doesn't' fully work because once you tag a song it doesn't allow you to download it if you want.

Those are just a few but I can name more if you'd like.
    milo53, Bbnivende, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    01-29-14 02:29 PM
    Sure.

Google Maps - Slow to lock in and won't allow you to save any data because you can't sign in to google services.

Jawbone Bluetooth app - Doesn't' work at all.

Trulia - doesn't work at all

Realtor.com - Doesn't work at all

ATorrent/Utorrent - Doesn't work at all.

Shazaam - doesn't' fully work because once you tag a song it doesn't allow you to download it if you want.

Those are just a few but I can name more if you'd like.
    Thanks. Any idea why they're not compatible?
    01-29-14 02:58 PM
    Thanks. Any idea why they're not compatible?
    Some of them require Google Services which aren't available for BB10, some I don't know, they just don't work for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-29-14 02:59 PM
    And yet many work flawlessly. For me personally my app gap has closed. The ones @donnation mentions - I don't need any - not to say others don't need it as they do.

Case of glass half empty or half full. The negativity around BlackBerry means the focus is mostly on the half empty.

Is it perfect? Of course not. But it does help many.

G

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-29-14 03:16 PM
    Is anyone surprised... lol.

I've said media hates BlackBerry forever.

When jola / sailfish / whatever came out everyone's mom was talking about Android access... bb enhance version.. nothing

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 03:17 PM
    Amazon does not officially support BlackBerry. Google Play does not support BlackBerry. While I'm sure that many BlackBerry users appreciate the ability to run those apps that work, none are supported.

If the application that you buy from Amazon doesn't work are they responsible? Do they owe you a refund?
    BlackBerry is playing a dangerous game. They are simultaneously courting Android developers and enabling piracy.

Hey everyone you can run android apps but we can't tell you were to get them, wink wink. Any Android developer willing to support BlackBerry has already submitted to BBW.

Real classy. They can't include any of this in a press release.
    bbq10l, milo53 and JeepBB like this.
    01-29-14 03:52 PM
    And yet many work flawlessly. For me personally my app gap has closed. The ones @donnation mentions - I don't need any - not to say others don't need it as they do.

Case of glass half empty or half full. The negativity around BlackBerry means the focus is mostly on the half empty.

Is it perfect? Of course not. But it does help many.

G

Posted via CB10
    It's not a case of half empty or half full. The questions was why hasn't BlackBerry addressed this in the media? The answer is that it's not a fully working solution to the app problem because many apps just don't work and aren't fully supported.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-29-14 04:01 PM
44 12