- This is going to be BIG! - No wonder people hate developing for Blackberry

This is probably the best consumer outlook I've read about someone trying to figure out how a Blackberry works in terms of the App store. Now apologist will say this guy is an ***** (I'm already ready for it). I will say he is the person who will most likely resemble the growing average cellphone user who are now adopting smartphones, and why people will opt to go for simpler User Interfaces such as Apple's and Android. (RIM should stay focused on the Business world in my opinion).
    04-22-10 10:06 PM
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no
    04-22-10 10:11 PM
    It seems a BB is just too smart for him.
    04-22-10 10:15 PM
    Brandon.... i think you've posted lots of stuff worth reading in the past... but that was just a re re that didn't know how to use a blackberry...
    04-22-10 10:16 PM
    Brandon.... i think you've posted lots of stuff worth reading in the past... but that was just a re re that didn't know how to use a blackberry...
    well all im saying is the guy had some valid problems that you won't run into on competing platforms. Like the downloading of the App Store being one big one. Some people expect for it to just be there.
    04-22-10 10:17 PM
    Why do you think BB dominates in the corporate market right now? Most business users aren't worried about downloading apps and this is why RISM is slow in the consumer market.
    04-22-10 10:26 PM
    It is very bad for RIM, but it's their carriers calling the shots here.

I did note however that most downloads no longer require a restart, maybe a better installer with the recent app world.

Listening to statements from RIM (Kirkup and Lazaridis) you can hear a definite awareness of these problems, but at the same time an ongoing commitment to pleasing carriers. The trouble is that RIM's competitors just work through consumer demand and don't take order from carriers and can move much faster on the app front.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-10 10:33 PM
    I just got the BB and it did not take long to figure out and get app store to dl apps. It also took no time to realize the DLed files went in the DL folder.

Most BBs are also not marketted for multimedia purposes (except the storm perhaps)
    04-22-10 10:38 PM
    i just think with any device thats new to someone they are not going to realize how to use it from the start it takes time... im sure no one picked up the android or i-phone and could just execute apps surf the web etc...etc.. with no "trial and error"... apparently the friend, whose BB it was had no clue, maybe not very tech savy... and the friend who wrote the post was comming from another platform that was different from what he had experienced before... i seriously doubt that the "way" we download our apps and find them in our phones is affecting the people that devolop applications for blackberry... escpecialy comming from a poster who has obviously never used one......
    04-22-10 10:45 PM
    Here I was expecting to read a well thought discussion of the APIs or the
    ridiculously (and unfounded) security concerns only to find a article from some dolt
    who can't wrap his mind around App World and worse couldn't grasp the concept
    that downloaded apps would be found in a folder called, wait for it, wait for it

DOWNLOADS
    04-22-10 10:45 PM
    ridiculously (and unfounded) security concerns only to find a article from some dolt
    that downloaded apps would be found in a folder called, wait for it, wait for it

DOWNLOADS
    lol i must say ag you never sugar coat anything lol
    04-22-10 10:47 PM
    Sorry fedge I am just truly astounded someone had to spend five (5) minutes
    figuring that out.
    04-22-10 10:52 PM
    If it takes you 5 full minutes to realize that something you DOWNLOAD goes to the DOWNLOADS folder, you shouldn't be using a BlackBerry. Or any SmartPhone. Maybe he would be better suited to a standard flip phone. I hear those things have cameras now.

It's obvious that BlackBerry was originally for business users, not people that don't have anything important to do with their time, and therefore do not need a device that helps them accomplish many important things at the same time.

It's kind of annoying that a large percentage of BlackBerry users don't even use it for what it can do. If you just want to look at pretty pictures and play games all day, get an iPhone.
    04-22-10 11:03 PM
    I don't think its irrational to go and search for an application you just downloaded in the applications folder either
    04-22-10 11:08 PM
    If it takes you 5 full minutes to realize that something you DOWNLOAD goes to the DOWNLOADS folder, you shouldn't be using a BlackBerry. Or any SmartPhone. Maybe he would be better suited to a standard flip phone. I hear those things have cameras now.

It's obvious that BlackBerry was originally for business users, not people that don't have anything important to do with their time, and therefore do not need a device that helps them accomplish many important things at the same time.

It's kind of annoying that a large percentage of BlackBerry users don't even use it for what it can do. If you just want to look at pretty pictures and play games all day, get an iPhone.
    I totally agree. The first time I installed Windows Vista a few years back, the first thing I noticed was that a "Download" folder was already there, and the browsers are all setup by default to download to that directory. Whereas with Win XP and earlier versions, I had to create that folder, and change my browser settings to save downloads in that folder.

So when I saw that my Blackberry is setup the same way...with a downloads folder already there...I thought "wow...that's pretty clever! Now I'll know where to look"
    04-22-10 11:12 PM
    I like the download folder myself. I have my storm set up so that the four main apps (messages, browser, contacts, calendar, weatherbug, viigo, facebook, poynt) are on the standby screen so they are one click away. anything else and I click the menu button to reveal four folders (one's the dl folder), each with less than 12 apps making scrolling unnecessary. the apps are downloaded into the dl folder,
    04-22-10 11:42 PM
    I really don't see what, if anything, this has to do with developing for BlackBerrys...
    04-22-10 11:53 PM
    So it's not because of the outdated or unpopular Java environment, it's because this guy couldn't find his application in the "Downloads" folder... Wow.

04-22-10 11:55 PM
    Who scrolls through fine print? Space bar takes no time at all

04-23-10 12:12 AM
    I've had windows mobile phones before, an iPhone, and an android phone. This is my first blackberry (I have the Curve 8530 on Sprint, and have had it for almost a month now)

It it BY FAR the hardest phone/operating system to get used to out of anything I've ever owned. Don't get me wrong, I love the phone.. now that i'm used to it. The learning curve (and i'm a total tech junky) was a lot longer than I had expected.

I can understand the frustrations with a new user, or someone who picks up their buddies phone and attempts to quickly show them a cool app that they have on their phone, and want to show their blackberry user friend.

For those of you that tend to disagree with this article, I have a feeling that it's because you've been with RIM and have used Blackberries for quite some time, so you feel extremely comfortable and familiar with the operating system. And when new operating system versions are available, it's just a tweaked version of something that you already know, but perhaps has a bit more eye candy.

To be completely honest, to a beginner, Blackberry's are not very user friendly. And like I mentioned earlier, I'm a total tech geek. This article has many valid points.
    04-23-10 12:17 AM
    To be completely honest, to a beginner, Blackberry's are not very user friendly. And like I mentioned earlier, I'm a total tech geek. This article has many valid points.
    Valid points? I think not.

1) None of his issues have anything to do with app development.

2) Because this mental midget could not figure out that d/loaded apps go into
    the DOWNLOAD folder is somehow supposed to be a blanket indictment for
    the platform is way beyond laughable.
    04-23-10 01:13 AM
    I think it should be mandatory that you know how to develop more than Polaroid instant film before you make a thread about application development.
    04-23-10 01:23 AM

DOWNLOADS
    lol x2... very well said.... I dont understand why people post an article about some guy who doesn't know how to use a Blackberry, and has hardly any common sense
    04-23-10 05:34 AM
    My opinion is that some of you didn't read the article. Or, your reading comprehension is devoid. Or, you were just so eager to pile on, that you lost your mind in the frenzy.
    Here's the article:
    Boy did I have an epiphany last night.* Every time I talk to a mobile developer, they complain about what a pain in the *** it is to develop for Blackberry—given that so many of the device/carrier combinations require customizations.*
    this is where his theory on DEVELOPING apps ends.
    On top of that, numbers for app downloads on Blackberry trail other platforms.

Yesterday, I figured out why.
    and look, a new opinion forms, this one about why he believes the numbers for app DOWNLOADS are poor for bb users. Boy are you crackberrians so quick to pile on, that it skews your reading comprehension. And blah blah blah, the guy rambles on about how moronic he is that he can't find a dl folder.

A friend of mine asked me how she could get Twitter on her Blackberry.* I told her “Oh, just search for it in the app store.”

Easier said than done.* I was stunned at how poor the Blackberry experience of downloading app was.

First off, you have to download the damn app store!* Seriously??* I’m honestly at a loss for words to figure out why they’d set it up this way.* That’s going to get fixed, right?

On top of that, when you download the store, you have to scroll through a legal document to approve the terms of service.* I guess if you’re a corporate Blackberry user, you’re used to filling out TPS reports, so this isn’t a bother.

So finally, I get to the store, search for Twitter, and download it.* After telling me the download was done, I clicked it.* I was offered a demo and some reviews.* Huh?* I already downloaded it.* Clicking what appeared to be the downloaded app didn’t get me anywhere.

So I went searching around the phone… for like 5 full minutes.* I couldn’t find the app at all, and I’m in tech.* It wasn’t in the folder marked “Applications”.* Turns out it was in some random folder called “Downloads”.* I didn’t see that folder upfront—feel like I would have clicked that.

Maybe it’s just me…* but did this kind of user experience not come up before, or is Blackberry just not really that serious about the applications market?
    So to sum it up, he's not talking about how the fact he couldn't find a downloaded app is hampering app development. He's blabbering about a user experience downloading an app.
    There, I've done your reading for you. Thank me by donating to the blind.

Last edited by Mamaluka; 04-23-10 at 07:40 AM.
    04-23-10 07:33 AM
    Valid points? I think not.

1) None of his issues have anything to do with app development.

2) Because this mental midget could not figure out that d/loaded apps go into
    the DOWNLOAD folder is somehow supposed to be a blanket indictment for
    the platform is way beyond laughable.
    It was funny reading how he said "it was in some random folder called downloads" hahahaaaa

04-23-10 07:37 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD