Why doesn't one just carry 2 pda's?? one winodws mobile with wifi (the wifi works better on it anyways) and a blackberry?? I have an omnia and a storm (soon to be tour). it works absolutely fine, especially with the omnia on skyfire. I need both and it works fine. Plus, you can forward your calls and use that windows mobile phone as your club phone. No use putting your blackberry tour in harms way. That's my two cents..i've always rocked 2 pds's cuz you can get the best of both worlds. Call forwarding between verizon phones only uses the minutes once because of IN feature. I've looked at my bill after doing this forever and that is very true.
    07-05-09 09:07 AM
    Wifi matters to me on vzw blackberries because I like to have simultaneous voice and data.

I might be on a call and it would be really convenient to be able to send/receive emails or browse the web.

It's not so much speed of wifi as it is being able to maintain connectivity. For business users and even non business users this can be really useful.

I used to use wifi on my tmobile curve and it came in handy while on calls. Plus the curve didn't have 3g.

I've been able to get by without wifi but why accept getting by when in a few months we won't have to settle?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 10:44 AM
    I want wifi and understand that it's about connectivity.
    However, just looking at speeds in an 8330 vs a Tour:

I use a program call Speedtest on my 8330 and it reports download speeds at home of 100-200 kbits/s and at work I get closer to 400 kbits/s. With the Tour having Rev A 3G can I expect those speeds to increase? Or am I limited by the signal that I have and not the phone?
    07-05-09 11:07 AM
    Guys,

I keep reading all these threats about the Tour missing WiFi.

I was just playing with my Onyx connected to my Wifi network and with the Tour at the same time, and let me tell you... When browsing, the difference is almost nothing...

I can't speak for any other networks, because I have Verizon, but VERIZON is amazingly fast.

So, if you are in between the TOUR and the ONYX only becuase of the WiFi, I would recommend you to just buy the phone you like looking at the most

They are both great phones. And I really hope this helps.
    Sal, I can't agree more with you! Its insane everyone in here complains about not having wifi and think wifi is god. I like now that you actually have a phone that has wifi and you compared it with the Tour, I like how you said its not much faster at all with wifi on. People do need to know that (at least like you say on verizon) I am very thankful you compared the Onyx with wifi next to the Tour without no wifi and said there is hardly no differnce in speed.
    I agree people need wifi in planes and what not, but like you also said, thats what laptops are for to do most of your buisness with anyway on a plane, not a cell phone.

Thanks again Sal, and I hope you had a great 4th!
    07-05-09 11:16 AM
    Sal, I can't agree more with you! Its insane everyone in here complains about not having wifi and think wifi is god. I like now that you actually have a phone that has wifi and you compared it with the Tour, I like how you said its not much faster at all with wifi on. People do need to know that (at least like you say on verizon) I am very thankful you compared the Onyx with wifi next to the Tour without no wifi and said there is hardly no differnce in speed.
    I agree people need wifi in planes and what not, but like you also said, thats what laptops are for to do most of your buisness with anyway on a plane, not a cell phone.

Thanks again Sal, and I hope you had a great 4th!
    If you've ever traveled with a laptop on an airplane, you'd know that they are heavy, you have to take them out of the bag and run them through the x-ray machine separately. Once you're on the plane, you have to make a big production out of getting it out of your bag, putting down the tray, turning it on, and then hoping that your battery lasts as long as you need it.

This is a far cry from whipping out your BlackBerry from your pocket being able to send and receive emails with a battery that could easily last at least coast to coast, and maybe even transcontinental.
    07-05-09 11:37 AM
    If you've ever traveled with a laptop on an airplane, you'd know that they are heavy, you have to take them out of the bag and run them through the x-ray machine separately. Once you're on the plane, you have to make a big production out of getting it out of your bag, putting down the tray, turning it on, and then hoping that your battery lasts as long as you need it.

This is a far cry from whipping out your BlackBerry from your pocket being able to send and receive emails with a battery that could easily last at least coast to coast, and maybe even transcontinental.
    So now, we are all complaining about technology that started a couple of months ago (Wifi on planes)???

Just go back a couple of years, where it was hard to find internet... when your phone had nothing but "SNAKE" in it....

Yes, the phone should be as "complete" as possible, but the lack of WiFi should not stop you from getting one of the BESTS phones out there. Why?! Because its a PHONE!!! Not a computer, not a laptop, etc...

I've been using my Tour for almost two months, and what's really unbelievable about the phone, is the reception. It sounds SO good, and have service everywhere I go.

I do e-mail a lot, which is the reason why I bought a blackberry, and really, when I need to find something on the internet (NEED TO FIND SOMETHING) I use my Tour if I'm out of the office and 98% of the times works.

That's why I bought, and LOVE this phone, because its a phone that does what's supposed to.

Back to saying the same thing again. Just because it takes 20 seconds out of my life to take my computer out of my bag at the airport, its not a reason for me to complain about it. Specially if I'm getting in a plane for 15 hours. I also have a 17 inch laptop, I don't like small laptops and I never, absolutely never, complain about it. I am not a big guy, and if I can carry my 17 inch laptop at the airport for a couple minutes, I'm sure everyone else here can.

I hope everyone here had a great 4th of July.
    07-05-09 12:14 PM
    just because we crave a device doesn't mean that said device not having it is no big deal...

everyones argument is that they can just take a notebook thats just it..

people are coming close to fully replacing notebooks with there phones..

as sad as it may sound its more of a connectivity thing then anything and if you don't need/want or care about it no sweat off my back..

but I dont need GPS either so I think all phones should remove it because I use a seperate unit for that.. and while your att it no more camera phones I never take a picture with my phone I think its a security risk for anyone to own it because they sneak pictures of my credit cards with them...

I also don't install very many applications on my phone so no phones should have any of those either..

see my point?

your needs are no where close to anyone elses needs.. as my needs arent close to others..

why limit it
    But if you truly don't need these things get a dumb phone. **** get a RZR. Thatll give you everything you don't need.
    See my point?

Obviously you don't need it that bad or you wouldn't be getting the phone.

07-05-09 01:01 PM
    But if you truly don't need these things get a dumb phone. **** get a RZR. Thatll give you everything you don't need.
    See my point?

Obviously you don't need it that bad or you wouldn't be getting the phone.

Like I said.... I do email A LOT, so I do need a blackberry.
    07-05-09 01:03 PM
    So now, we are all complaining about technology that started a couple of months ago (Wifi on planes)???

Just go back a couple of years, where it was hard to find internet... when your phone had nothing but "SNAKE" in it....

Yes, the phone should be as "complete" as possible, but the lack of WiFi should not stop you from getting one of the BESTS phones out there. Why?! Because its a PHONE!!! Not a computer, not a laptop, etc...

I've been using my Tour for almost two months, and what's really unbelievable about the phone, is the reception. It sounds SO good, and have service everywhere I go.

I do e-mail a lot, which is the reason why I bought a blackberry, and really, when I need to find something on the internet (NEED TO FIND SOMETHING) I use my Tour if I'm out of the office and 98% of the times works.

That's why I bought, and LOVE this phone, because its a phone that does what's supposed to.

Back to saying the same thing again. Just because it takes 20 seconds out of my life to take my computer out of my bag at the airport, its not a reason for me to complain about it. Specially if I'm getting in a plane for 15 hours. I also have a 17 inch laptop, I don't like small laptops and I never, absolutely never, complain about it. I am not a big guy, and if I can carry my 17 inch laptop at the airport for a couple minutes, I'm sure everyone else here can.

I hope everyone here had a great 4th of July.
    Don't misunderstand me. I will be buying the Tour the first day it is released. I'm simply stating that the wifi feature would have been nice to have, and that it is more important than you are making it out to be.

Will a laptop work? Sure, but my examples point out how a Tour with wifi could be more convenient.
    07-05-09 01:14 PM
    I have a netbook, but nothing beats the webkit + wifi experience on a crapper! For that alone, I will miss my Pre.
    07-05-09 10:57 PM
    I have a netbook, but nothing beats the webkit + wifi experience on a crapper! For that alone, I will miss my Pre.
    hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!
    07-05-09 10:59 PM
    Get over the lack of WiFi on the Tour - it doesn't have it. If you can't live without WiFi on your phone, get something else and stop crying.

If you want blazing fast FIOS speeds use your dang computer. For 99% users the lack of WiFi is no big deal. There's not a phone on the market that makes everyone happy 100% of the time. The Tour is a nice device & a great update from the Curve and 8830 we've been stuck with for the last few years.
    07-06-09 02:31 PM
    Get over the lack of WiFi on the Tour - it doesn't have it. If you can't live without WiFi on your phone, get something else and stop crying.

If you want blazing fast FIOS speeds use your dang computer. For 99% users the lack of WiFi is no big deal. There's not a phone on the market that makes everyone happy 100% of the time. The Tour is a nice device & a great update from the Curve and 8830 we've been stuck with for the last few years.
    lol the newbi just kicked some as*!! I agree with the new guy though, but most people like to complain about anything though, it will always be like that
    07-06-09 02:33 PM
    Someone show me a CDMA Blackberry with Wifi on the market today - from any CDMA carrier. Not from VZW, Sprint, US Cellular, or Alltel. Has anyone ever thought it has something to do with RIM and not the carriers?

You're gonna pay for the voice/data plan regardless of whether or not you use it. They don't care if you switch over to WiFi for data - you're still paying the same amount for your unlimited Data package. Certainly doesn't hurt the carrier if you want to pay them and use someone else's data network.
    07-06-09 02:38 PM
    Yeah that was my argument. I've seen wifi on tmobile where you use your home network to make calls and that doesn't count towards your mins.. that reason is a reason but since vzw or sprint doesn't even offer that service I don't see the point. I guess if people wanted to surf on the plane that makes sense but No phone on CDMA has that like you said.
    07-06-09 02:41 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD