Guys,

I keep reading all these threats about the Tour missing WiFi.

I was just playing with my Onyx connected to my Wifi network and with the Tour at the same time, and let me tell you... When browsing, the difference is almost nothing...

I can't speak for any other networks, because I have Verizon, but VERIZON is amazingly fast.

So, if you are in between the TOUR and the ONYX only becuase of the WiFi, I would recommend you to just buy the phone you like looking at the most

They are both great phones. And I really hope this helps.
    07-04-09 12:11 PM
    I'm sorry Sal, but you're not going to tell me that you don't see a difference between browsing? Especially if you're using Fios or Optimum Online, Boost, and Ultra. The speed on the Tour is amazing, but my wifi enabled Onyx was faster. I am on your side though, wifi shouldn't stop you from not purchasing the phone. I've told so many people about it, and they are definitely making the switch. What's available in a few months, OS 5.0? Tag Team Champions.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 07-04-09 at 12:38 PM.
    07-04-09 12:31 PM
    Video ?? j/k

Thanks for coming and letting us know.

Mind saying what speed the Wifi Connection was?
    07-04-09 12:31 PM
    I agree i could care less about WiFi. I have a MacBook when in need something faster.
    07-04-09 12:33 PM
    Wifi must be some feature that GSM users who are switching are crying about.

I could care less about wifi.
    07-04-09 02:05 PM
    I am going to repeat what civic said..

or at least come close because I believe the same thing

you guys need to quit thinking of wi-fi as a speed thing its about connectivity..

as much as you and anyone else can love there cell network there is still places that have no signal..

its about connectivity

1. on a airplane
    2. in a basement
    3. some apps require wi-fi to even work
    4. remote controlling a pc on a network not over a cell network and without using vpn (current cell networks are no where near fast enough for this anyway)
    5. when traveling over seas..
    07-04-09 02:18 PM
    Video ?? j/k

Thanks for coming and letting us know.

Mind saying what speed the Wifi Connection was?
    Acutally I am interested. Do you have Onyx videos uploaded yet? Are we going to see the premiere of an Audi R8 via the Onyx camera/video?
    07-04-09 02:23 PM
    Why someone like I would want WiFi:

I am going to spend over 20 hours a week at school next semester. 90% of the time I get little to no data service at school. I don't think because of the network, but the building/radio signal.

If I had WiFi on the phone I could connect to the school's wireless network. Instead, I get no data coverage.
    07-04-09 02:23 PM
    I agree with certain people needing WiFi, but in my case it's no where I am. Not at work, not in my car not anywhere! (except for my home)

I always get great reception inside buildings, basements, weather shelters (buildings inside of buildings)

If you're on a Plane.. why not have your note/net book with you?

Idk.. I understand why some people would want/need it, but they're so many options to be connected. If carrying around a 9" netbook is too much, then I don't know what to say lol.

I would imagine in most cases (besides some quick emails) A notebook would be better for those kinds of people.
    07-04-09 02:27 PM
    I agree with certain people needing WiFi, but in my case it's no where I am. Not at work, not in my car not anywhere! (except for my home)

I always get great reception inside buildings, basements, weather shelters (buildings inside of buildings)

If you're on a Plane.. why not have your note/net book with you?

Idk.. I understand why some people would want/need it, but they're so many options to be connected. If carrying around a 9" netbook is too much, then I don't know what to say lol.

I would imagine in most cases (besides some quick emails) A notebook would be better for those kinds of people.

a 9 inch netbook doesn't fit in my pocket...

you make the most important thing most relevant in your post its not needed for everyone which is very true

my argument is this
    I personally NEVER use GPS on a phone there for sense I don't need it they should completely remove it from every single phone out there because if I don't need it that means everyone else doesn't either
    07-04-09 02:33 PM
    my argument is this
    I personally NEVER use GPS on a phone there for sense I don't need it they should completely remove it from every single phone out there because if I don't need it that means everyone else doesn't either
    If you're on a plane, do you not carry luggage? A netbook is very small and very helpful in these situations, especially if you're heavy into having to be connected.

Ok, Ok.. So if you take away GPS, they're still options.. like a standalone GPS, right? So.. I'm saying the netbook, is your standalone wifi.

Ok.. I'm kind of confusing myself here with these...
    GPS is based on pretty much every cellphone these days, whereas wifi is not.. yet.

I better stop now, but the argument is hidden in there somewhere
    07-04-09 02:38 PM
    I agree with everyone. Wifi should not be a deal breaker. For most of the ones complaining about not having a wifi enabled phone, you're in a job/environment where a cpu is needed. So if you're in a place where there is no data and you have no cpu, you're screwed and blame yourself. Stop expecting your phone to browse the net when your studying for a college exam at a library. Go buy a damn cpu. Not only is it faster but it would be easier to use. You wouldn't type whole papers on your bb would you? And the airplane excuse, again get a cpu. If you can afford to travel back and forth overseas, you can afford a cpu. If your workin in a basement, your screwed...cause if the house collapses and you have no data coverage how are you gonna get help? Thank God for wifi though...oh wait can you dial 911 with wifi?

All I'm sayin is, wifi is great on a phone but should never be a deal breaker. I'm sure we all can afford a netbook. If you can afford full retail on a tour you can get a netbook. Problem solved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-09 02:54 PM
    I am going to repeat what civic said..

or at least come close because I believe the same thing

you guys need to quit thinking of wi-fi as a speed thing its about connectivity..

as much as you and anyone else can love there cell network there is still places that have no signal..

its about connectivity

1. on a airplane
    2. in a basement
    3. some apps require wi-fi to even work
    4. remote controlling a pc on a network not over a cell network and without using vpn (current cell networks are no where near fast enough for this anyway)
    5. when traveling over seas..
    Remember the countless amount of threads we tried getting this point across? Some people will never understand.

I should not have to carry around a netbook when the majority of smartphones released are coming STANDARD with WiFi. Look at almost every new smartphone released and you will see they most likely have WiFi.

And Salo, I'm sorry but the Verizon network is not remotely near as fast as a WiFi connection. I don't know why it looks that way, but it is not the case. I load pages on my Bold/iPhone on 3G (and AT&T 3G is faster than Verizon), and then load them on WiFi and it is much, much faster. Especially when trying to download something.

WiFi should not be a deal breaker, but people shouldn't be giving excuses for why it is not there.
    Last edited by avt123; 07-04-09 at 03:05 PM.
    07-04-09 03:03 PM
    avt, you get 3g on AT&T? Where can this be found?

My iPhone 3G.. Was just an iPhone.. lol

My brother has a BlackBerry Curve on AT&T, While my wife has a Curve on VZW, and needless to say the VZW curve blows out the other.

Lets stop making pretentious claims ok?

AND what WE'RE saying, if its that important to be connected to WiFi, I'd much rather do it on a PC.
    07-04-09 03:08 PM
    Should your phone come with a postage stamp dispenser too? I mean connectivity...gotta be able to write those letter heads. Personally, I'd like my phone to come with telekenesis so I won't have to say anything. Now that's connectivity.

Wifi = NO BIG DEAL.

Not arguing that its not a cool feature, it is...but NOT A BIG DEAL!!!

07-04-09 03:09 PM
    CMDA lacks simultaneous voice and data - wifi would allow for this

that is reason enough imo to merit wanting wifi

however, that is not stopping me from upgrading to the tour
    07-04-09 03:11 PM
    Trey, Sadly WiFi is the only thing ATT has over us on VZW and Sprint, so their users will use it as their arguing point.

I wonder how business users on VZW and Sprint get by? Not with an ATT phone, thats for sure :-)

Bauer- I can see this point! This is probably the best case in point opinion I've heard so far. (which might have been mentioned once already)
    I agree with everyone. Wifi should not be a deal breaker. For most of the ones complaining about not having a wifi enabled phone, you're in a job/environment where a cpu is needed. So if you're in a place where there is no data and you have no cpu, you're screwed and blame yourself. Stop expecting your phone to browse the net when your studying for a college exam at a library. Go buy a damn cpu. Not only is it faster but it would be easier to use. You wouldn't type whole papers on your bb would you? And the airplane excuse, again get a cpu. If you can afford to travel back and forth overseas, you can afford a cpu. If your workin in a basement, your screwed...cause if the house collapses and you have no data coverage how are you gonna get help? Thank God for wifi though...oh wait can you dial 911 with wifi?

All I'm sayin is, wifi is great on a phone but should never be a deal breaker. I'm sure we all can afford a netbook. If you can afford full retail on a tour you can get a netbook. Problem solved.

I think its less about not having the notebook or item to connect to said network and its more about not wanting to take the notebook or said item with you..

for heavy travelers and IT guys some people are on a 1 hour flight every other day some are on a 5 hour flight..

some peoples offices aren't even in the same state they live in..

with that being said it would be nice to get up from a desk and NOT take a notebook with you or hop on a plane with nothing in your hand and everything stowed away..

the argument comes more from the standpoint that RIM products on other networks have it.. if we want wi-fi we can't have verizon or sprint with a berry...
    Trey, Sadly WiFi is the only thing ATT has over us on VZW and Sprint, so their users will use it as their arguing point.

I wonder how business users on VZW and Sprint get by? Not with an ATT phone, thats for sure :-)

Bauer- I can see this point! This is probably the best case in point opinion I've heard so far. (which might have been mentioned once already)

this is not true.. I know of two major business' 1 of which probably has more employees then verizon who uses at&t
    07-04-09 03:14 PM
    I think people just don't understand the fact that sometimes the data service from their company isn't enough all the time. For instance when I was with VZW, at my job I could not get EVDO coverage. But my job has a wifi network for visitors so if I had wifi I could have got on it and been able to do what I needed to do at fast speeds. Last year me and my wifi went to a ski resort and the signal was 1x at the best but the lodge had wifi access. Guess what? My device didn't have wifi so I was SOL. Some people don't need wifi and that's ok, but there are people out there that see and use the benefits of wifi on a daily basis. So to minimize the shortcomings of a device because you don't need it, is comical. It's the same as people that get on the iPhone because of no MMS and then you have folks that take up for the lack of MMS by saying "I don't use MMS" or "I send pics through email anyway". So they basically defend a device for not having a basic feature just because they don't need it. WELL THERE ARE A BUNCH OF PEOPLE THAT DO.

IMO No wifi sucks and no MMS sucks and shame on carriers/companies for leaving these basic features off of devices in 2009.
    07-04-09 03:15 PM
    this is not true.. I know of two major business' 1 of which probably has more employees then verizon who uses at&t
    ... No, you may have misunderstood my statement.. lol
    07-04-09 03:15 PM
    IMO No wifi sucks and no MMS sucks and shame on carriers/companies for leaving these basic features off of devices in 2009.
    ::::starts a slow clap::::
    07-04-09 03:17 PM
    in the end the argument comes down to this your needs are your needs but your needs are not everyone elses needs and sadly that will never change...

but I personally have never seen a good argument against having wi-fi no offense..

theres no purpose in limiting a device...

why limit it?

why have less features

there is no good argument for that now if the thing was going to be the size of a notebook thats a different story but size is not a issue you can tell by other models who that have wi-fi equipped..
    07-04-09 03:19 PM
    ... No, you may have misunderstood my statement.. lol

your correct I did hahahha I also want to mention though that sometimes business' will have accounts with more then 1 provider and also I know of a few that allow you to grab whatever phone/network you want and just fully cover your bill
    07-04-09 03:20 PM
    I would like to end this, as I leave with a nice comment to all of those who participated in this thread.

As the food cooks, the beer ice cold and the nice looking women in the pool(Did I just see a nip from my kitchen?!) - I say this.

I enjoy a nice debate, as long as things dont get personal so I hope I didn't offend anybody. I love you ::wink wink:: all and I wish the Americans a Happy 4th and everybody else, enjoy your freedom! Unless you're in the UK.. no, no I joke!

Enjoy Noaim!
    07-04-09 03:24 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD