Withdrawn unable to delete
    Last edited by jrohland; 03-28-12 at 11:43 AM.
    01-21-11 11:03 AM
    We don't know at this point. We hope not, but we don't know.

EDIT: For the record, you can not with an ipad, you need the 3G model, there is no way to tether a BB, or an iphone (for that matter) to an ipad, and use it as a modem, for free or otherwise. Technologically it's VERY likely you'll be able to do it on the PB, all but certain, NOW the big question is will the carriers allow it for free and, will there be a work-a-round (tether, PDAnet, etc).
    01-21-11 11:31 AM
    That's the question everyone's been waiting for the answer to and we might not know until the release date is official and carriers announce pricing. The only way would be to tether the device to your BB but there's no telling whether you'll have to pay extra or not, but if you look at Verizon's history, we probably will need that tether plan they offer as well.
    01-21-11 11:34 AM
    You will be able to browse on the playbook by tethering to your blackberry when there is no wifi connection. As far as additional costs go, that is carrier specific information. I am in canada and I use rogers wireless. With their data plans, every plan over 500mb includes tethering. There is no information anywhere that says that this will specifically work with thr playbook that I have seen, but if I'm able to tether to a laptop through bluetooth or wired connection, than I can't see why I wouldn't be able to tether to a PB via bluetooth.

I hope this helps to clear things up. We will definitely be able to tether to get on the browser on the PB, but if you pay extra for it is another story altogether. Call your cell provider and see if your plan allows you to tether to a laptop. I think that verifying what the requirements/costs for that service is a smart way to speculate about PB tethering, but keep in mind that nothing is certain until you have both devices in your hands.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-11 11:35 AM
    It hasn't been stated but I'm going to say if you're in the US you're going to be paying a tethering fee(if you want to do it officially,not through a work around) if you want to use your phones 3G service, the bridge is just for PIM.
    01-21-11 11:36 AM

EDIT: For the record, you can not with an ipad, you need the 3G model, there is no way to tether a BB, or an iphone (for that matter) to an ipad, and use it as a modem, for free or otherwise. Technologically it's VERY likely you'll be able to do it on the PB, all but certain, NOW the big question is will the carriers allow it for free and, will there be a work-a-round (tether, PDAnet, etc).
    I may be reading this wrong but with a jailbreak you can tether your ipad to iphone. You're suppose to pay for tethering but so far no one has been dinged for it
    01-21-11 11:40 AM

You can tether an iPad wirelessly to an HD2 (Windows Mobile) or Android Device (FroYo and above). Both of those have WiFi tethering. You simply turn it on in the phone and connect to it on the iPad/Playbook/Other Phone/etc. as if it was a normal WiFi connection.

I was under the impression that you could tether an iPad to an iPhone?

iOS on Verizon will have Wireless Hotspot, so it will be possible to tether the iPad. I'm guessing it will come to the GSM iPhone as well, otherwise it fragments the iPhone experience and Apple isn't really into that (though you will be charged by the carrier for it, ofc [at least in the USA]).
    01-23-11 01:01 PM
    Hands on with the BlackBerry PlayBook @CES | RCR Unplugged

In this video, Mark, the RIM rep, states that Bridge will allow internet for the PB from a BB. Will that hold? We'll have to see.
    01-23-11 01:26 PM
    Well someone is misspeaking then:

BlackBerry Bridge for PlayBook tablet preview (video) (updated) -- Engadget

On the 1st video(not the Ryan one) on that page the guy says it won't do internet

Then in this video around 1:35

The guys says the Bridge is only for PIM stuff

It's no wonder users are confused
    01-23-11 01:57 PM
    You can use the PlayBook to access the internet via your BlackBerry at any time.
    01-23-11 02:37 PM
    Thanks, CX. I'm sure you realize that the big question out there is whether or not using the BB to get internet on the PB will bring tethering charges. Will that be carrier based or has RIM gotten around that? And further, are you allowed to answer that?

Last edited by gregerator; 01-23-11 at 03:04 PM.
    01-23-11 02:47 PM
    You can use the PlayBook to access the internet via your BlackBerry at any time.
    Any word on if the US carriers are just going to allow this to happen without charging additional fees on the user?
    01-23-11 02:52 PM
    Any word on if the US carriers are just going to allow this to happen without charging additional fees on the user?
    none yet, i think they have to learn how the Bridge will work.
    01-23-11 02:59 PM
    Is that via the Bridge or the Tether?

If the Tether I'm sure US carriers will be charging you to do so.
    01-23-11 03:14 PM
    Thanks, CX. I'm sure you realize that the big question out there is whether or not using the BB to get internet on the PB will bring tethering charges. Will that be carrier based or has RIM gotten around that? And further, are you allowed to answer that?

Not really. Just think that you can use Tether and not pay your carrier for tethering...
    01-23-11 05:39 PM
    Thanks CX!

Will the PB compress data like regular BlackBerrys? I currently have 500mb/month on my berry and never come close to approaching 50% use. Will I have enough data or should I upgrade?
    01-23-11 07:00 PM
    Thanks CX!

Will the PB compress data like regular BlackBerrys? I currently have 500mb/month on my berry and never come close to approaching 50% use. Will I have enough data or should I upgrade?
    Yes the PB compresses data like other BlackBerry's however we're speaking of a device that's on a completely different level, data wise, than other previous BlackBerry devices.

Data acceleration, compressions, & network optimization is a big deal for RIM and a priority. BlackBerry's typically compress data usage 40% more than other mobile devices and the PB will be no different. However with improved capabilities(Flash, etc) of the PB you can expect to use almost double of what your current monthly usage is currently.
    01-23-11 07:31 PM
    Yes the PB compresses data like other BlackBerry's however we're speaking of a device that's on a completely different level, data wise, than other previous BlackBerry devices.

Data acceleration, compressions, & network optimization is a big deal for RIM and a priority. BlackBerry's typically compress data usage 40% more than other mobile devices and the PB will be no different. However with improved capabilities(Flash, etc) of the PB you can expect to use almost double of what your current monthly usage is currently.
    yikes ill have to becareful not to **** off vzw haha
    01-23-11 07:41 PM
    Thanks again CX!

As soon as my PB arrives I'm getting a new data package.
    Last edited by mcjohn; 01-23-11 at 11:08 PM.
    01-23-11 11:06 PM
    Well in the UK, tethering is a no-go unless you're with 3. 500MB a month for "Unlimited" data? You do realise the Playbook will pop through that in a matter of hours... and btw, O2 charge �5/MB overage charges... I'm only paying �15/mth now for my grandfathered unlimited internet deal (300min, unlimited {12'000} texts, BlackBerry Unlimited {500MB}). �7.50/mth extra for tethering, not sure if that includes extra data or not... Although I think it's �12.50 for every 500MB shared between tethering and phone...
    01-24-11 12:08 AM
    Not really. Just think that you can use Tether and not pay your carrier for tethering...
    OK, so to be totally clear: This isn't sarcasm or etc? You are saying owners of BlackBerry devices will be able to share their current data plans with the PlayBook for not only email and bbm sharing but also surfing the net and apps that require a connection to the Internet? This is by far my largest question concerning the PB.

I am on Verizon so at the moment my choice of BlackBerry phones is abysmal. I currently own a Storm 1 and it's high time to upgrade. I hope some of the pumped up recently posted berries come to VZN. A ghz Storm 3 would be nice... But if it will cost me to tether a PlayBook to even a berry then I may look at Android or iOS as I wait for QNX berries to arrive.

And yes, this was posted from an iPad. lol
    01-24-11 12:27 AM
    Be careful to notice that CX capitalized Tether, meaning the app for BBs. What he's saying is buy Tether and bypass the carrier data restrictions and charges. General tethering will in most US cases cost extra. However, I'm on TMO with unlimited data, but the problem is tethering through DM only brings EDGE speeds.
    01-24-11 12:35 AM
    Ultimately, I'm sure if the US carriers (specifically at&t) can figure out a way to disable it or make you pay they will.
    01-24-11 02:21 PM
    You can almost bet on that happening.

I can see a wave of complaints coming through. You allowed the PlayBook to share it's phone data plan but you're charging me for using my iPad or Xoom the same way.

They should let you decide how you use your data allotment.
    01-24-11 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD