This I don't believe unless your friends router was wireless B sorry.
    LOL that's funny. wireless B/G/N really has NO effect on internet speeds. unless you have a guaranteed uplink of over 10MB, you'll not notice a difference between B/G/N speeds. (signal strength not withstanding) most broadband connections are under 6 MB, with the majority of that subset under 3MB. so your logic is flawed, sorry.
    10-08-08 10:44 AM
    Ah, give SB a break. It's hard to be right all the time about everything. His source said it had wifi, so did a lot of other peoples sources. They just happened to be wrong. Happens sometimes....
    10-08-08 10:46 AM
    LOL that's funny. wireless B/G/N really has NO effect on internet speeds. unless you have a guaranteed uplink of over 10MB, you'll not notice a difference between B/G/N speeds. (signal strength not withstanding) most broadband connections are under 6 MB, with the majority of that subset under 3MB. so your logic is flawed, sorry.
    I think you logic is alot more flawed,having used all three systems their is a speed difference. What you wanted to say is none of those standards are used to their maximum capbility. Sorry
    10-08-08 10:54 AM
    Ah, give SB a break. It's hard to be right all the time about everything. His source said it had wifi, so did a lot of other peoples sources. They just happened to be wrong. Happens sometimes....
    I think it's the whole "I am right and there's no two ways about it! You'll all eat your words! I win! You lose!" attitude about SB that is causing all the told-ya-so's right now, even on my part.
    10-08-08 10:58 AM
    I think it's the whole "I am right and there's no two ways about it! You'll all eat your words! I win! You lose!" attitude about SB that is causing all the told-ya-so's right now, even on my part.
    Yup, you're 100% right. He was being a little ******* about it. I do not blame his sources. He took their information which was obviously not concrete and ran, no, SPRINTED with it.....into a brick wall.
    10-08-08 11:15 AM
    Yup, you're 100% right. He was being a little ******* about it. I do not blame his sources. He took their information which was obviously not concrete and ran, no, SPRINTED with it.....into a brick wall.
    Hehe... Tis true, tis true.
    10-08-08 11:20 AM
    I think you logic is alot more flawed,having used all three systems their is a speed difference. What you wanted to say is none of those standards are used to their maximum capbility. Sorry
    given the same amount of signal/throughput, no there is no difference. a 1.5 meg connection on B/G/N will be the same
    10-08-08 12:07 PM
    Well since I'm tmobile guess it's the 9520 for me. :P.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-08 12:10 PM
    Unless your transferring files over your wireless connection, then there is no difference in internet connection speed between the three/four/five/whatever it is now types of wireless router connection. I've done download speed tests on my old "b" router and my new "g" router, and they're both the same.
    10-08-08 12:21 PM
    You act as if you are surprised that Super Bling was full of it, number one. Number two, how in the h*ll did RIM fall behind in technology? Explain that one to me, would you? No one is forcing you to own a RIM product, and if you feel that strongly, go out and buy an iPhone.

Oh, and a side note, where are you now, Super Bling???
    I think the Storm shows that RIM is falling behind in technology and innovation and can't develop their products fast enough. Sure, the "click" on the touchscreen is new idea that sounds like a great innovation. But it's lacking in almost every other area:

(1) Wifi. I understand some people don't need this. I know that Verizon's coverage is excellent. Still, (a) you don't get a signal in many places where you do have Wifi; (b) Wifi is faster; (c) Wifi should use less power; (d) This phone isn't just on Verizon: other carriers don't have as great coverage. Most plans are NOT outside of the US are NOT unlimited data; (e) for a "world phone" to exclude the only signal available in every country is ironic; (f) data costs for roaming are extreme; (g) the competition has Wifi on their expensive phones; (h) for a phone that's great for music and movies, Wifi transfering would have been great. Wifi streaming would also have been great.

(2) Processor and No Hardware Video Acceleration: pale in comparison to the competition. This phone will be slow and choppy in many ways. Early reviews already state how choppy the phone can be. Software updates will only be able to go so far.

(3) Memory: the entire system is outdated. 128 megs for programs? You'll be using purely text-based, letting that great screen go to waste. Either brute force--like 256 or 512 megs--or innovate like Apple and have a system capable of running programs off the storage memory.

(4) Software (browser). Have you tried the Bold? I have a Rogers that I'll be returning when AT&T eventually releases the Bold. The initial software was terribly bad, especially on the browser--almost exactly like early reviews describe the Storm's. The Bold has gotten better, but there are still serious, annoying bugs and a slow browser. After using .167, I expect the Bold will be how it was envisioned--and expected--to work after about 6 months after release. I'd bet well that the Storm will have similar software problems based on the early reviews.

Listen, I understand this is a great phone. I know it will be successful. It will always have RIM's email and messaging capabilities. Nevertheless, I find investor's predictions of RIM as a company accurate. I think the Storm affirms many worries that people have with the company.
    10-08-08 12:21 PM
    Ok...with all the great things I've been hearing about the speeds of EV-DO Rev A and the power/availability of Verizon's network, unless Verizon came out with a plan like hotspot at home like TMO, I see no reason to have WIFI on this phone and drain the battery like it does. Have you seen the standby time on this phone? 15 DAYS?! You're not going to get that on the iPhone! I barely get through at day with my iPod touch with the Wifi on!
    10-08-08 12:34 PM
    Ok...with all the great things I've been hearing about the speeds of EV-DO Rev A and the power/availability of Verizon's network, unless Verizon came out with a plan like hotspot at home like TMO, I see no reason to have WIFI on this phone and drain the battery like it does. Have you seen the standby time on this phone? 15 DAYS?! You're not going to get that on the iPhone! I barely get through at day with my iPod touch with the Wifi on!
    You really can't compare the two because a second fresh battery can be popped into the storm.
    10-08-08 01:03 PM
    (2) Processor and No Hardware Video Acceleration: pale in comparison to the competition. This phone will be slow and choppy in many ways. Early reviews already state how choppy the phone can be. Software updates will only be able to go so far.
    I guess that you take this from the ENGADGET preview that stated " Unfortunately, as far we can tell there's no hardware video acceleration"

I do believe that the storm is build on the Qualcomm MSM7201 chipset, go look at the spec ... www . qctconnect.com/products/msm_7201.html

Qcamera™: Up to 6.0 megapixel digital images
    Qtv™: Playback up to 30 fps VGA
    Qcamcorder™: Record up to 24 fps QVGA
    Up to 4 million triangles per second, and 133 million depth-tested, textured 3D pixels per second fill rate

That sound like hardware acceleration to me ....

But again .. I am just a dog
    Last edited by Briard; 10-08-08 at 01:58 PM.
    10-08-08 01:10 PM
    I think the Storm shows that RIM is falling behind in technology and innovation and can't develop their products fast enough. Sure, the "click" on the touchscreen is new idea that sounds like a great innovation. But it's lacking in almost every other area:

(1) Wifi. I understand some people don't need this. I know that Verizon's coverage is excellent. Still, (a) you don't get a signal in many places where you do have Wifi; (b) Wifi is faster; (c) Wifi should use less power; (d) This phone isn't just on Verizon: other carriers don't have as great coverage. Most plans are NOT outside of the US are NOT unlimited data; (e) for a "world phone" to exclude the only signal available in every country is ironic; (f) data costs for roaming are extreme; (g) the competition has Wifi on their expensive phones; (h) for a phone that's great for music and movies, Wifi transfering would have been great. Wifi streaming would also have been great.

(3) Memory: the entire system is outdated. 128 megs for programs? You'll be using purely text-based, letting that great screen go to waste. Either brute force--like 256 or 512 megs--or innovate like Apple and have a system capable of running programs off the storage memory.

(4) Software (browser). Have you tried the Bold? I have a Rogers that I'll be returning when AT&T eventually releases the Bold. The initial software was terribly bad, especially on the browser--almost exactly like early reviews describe the Storm's. The Bold has gotten better, but there are still serious, annoying bugs and a slow browser. After using .167, I expect the Bold will be how it was envisioned--and expected--to work after about 6 months after release. I'd bet well that the Storm will have similar software problems based on the early reviews.

Listen, I understand this is a great phone. I know it will be successful. It will always have RIM's email and messaging capabilities. Nevertheless, I find investor's predictions of RIM as a company accurate. I think the Storm affirms many worries that people have with the company.
    Your points are all incredibly well-spoken and thought out. Constructive criticism, again, is never a bad thing.
    10-08-08 01:11 PM
    You really can't compare the two because a second fresh battery can be popped into the storm.
    Also exactly my point! You just strengthened my argument!
    10-08-08 01:16 PM
    Originally posted by Briard
    I do believe that the storm is build on the Qualcomm MSM7201 chipset, go look at the spec ... www . qctconnect.com/products/msm_7201.html
    If that chipset is correct, it does list Wi-Fi as a capability. Can someone say, hack? Perhaps there's a chance for Wi-Fi after all.
    10-08-08 02:37 PM
    wait i thought we have no wifi ....
    12-08-08 07:45 PM
    wtf thread necromancer. massive fail
    12-08-08 07:53 PM
    Oh my God, not this thread again! Please Please Close it!
    12-08-08 07:53 PM
    Ha Ha! I had to look that word up but I like it! Very fitting! RIP SuperBling
    12-08-08 07:55 PM
    >=|

This thread = Fail

Who really needs wifi? 99% of the time you're in wi-fi range you're by a computer anyways. Plus with the Rev A the net is pretty fast.
    12-08-08 07:56 PM
    LMAO @ the necromancer comment... that made me LMAO
    12-08-08 07:57 PM
    I forgot about this thread. Damn was I spot on or what? It's almost like I had one before release.
    12-08-08 09:26 PM
    >=|

This thread = Fail

Who really needs wifi? 99% of the time you're in wi-fi range you're by a computer anyways. Plus with the Rev A the net is pretty fast.
    This thread does = fail but with a comment like that you are probably going to start it up again. Really, search the forums and you will see why WiFi is important, other then the fact that almost all new smartphones are coming with WiFi standard.
    12-08-08 09:29 PM
    I don't like WI-FI, I don't need WI-FI.

I could have sworn i saw WI-FI in one of the settings screen. Anybody else see it? Maybe i imagined it?
    12-08-08 09:47 PM
312 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD