The Verizon 9530 Storm does not have wifi. Sorry.

Sorry but your wrong.

I made an error on the original statment I just edited it.
    10-06-08 07:42 PM
    It's quite evident. The slides from RIM show that it doesn't need WiFi because of the extreme EVDO Rev.A coverage. One of the slides emphasized the point that the Storm doesn't need to be latched onto WiFi hotspots for highspeed browsing.

You guy`s think this has to always do with freaken speed but it does not. Airplanes and places where data can only be accessed through wifi is why some people require wifi.
    10-06-08 07:44 PM
    Wow. Just wow.
    10-06-08 07:47 PM
    Stick to what ever it is you know, because unreleased phones definitely isn't it. The Storm on Verizon doesn't have wifi.

Have you used the phone?
    You guy`s think this has to always do with freaken speed but it does not. Airplanes and places where data can only be accessed through wifi is why some people require wifi.
    I understand that, but I would assume, other than the fact that there is no mention of WiFi anywhere, no one else has said the device has WiFi, and that RIM is emphasizing the fact that it doesn't need WiFi, all point to the fact that there is no WiFi. If you are right, I would be ecstatic. I just seriously doubt it.
    So if you are correct and it does have WiFi, why all the effort to cover it up?
    10-06-08 07:48 PM
    The Verizon slideshow that makes no mention of Wi-Fi, the RIM slides that make a point that the phone doesn't have Wi-Fi, and the insiders that have used the phone and said it doesn't have Wi-Fi are all wrong.
    10-06-08 07:50 PM
    So if you are correct and it does have WiFi, why all the effort to cover it up?
    Your asking me stuff I don`t know, no one is covering anything up as the phone has not even really been announced with details. We are just getting leaked info here and their but of crap we already know and nothing really new. Anyway I know a ton of people like to bash but no one should say it doesn`t have wifi unless they can prove it or have good confirmation from a source. Anyway didn`t want to stir up things, just wanted to be helpful.
    10-06-08 07:52 PM
    The Verizon slideshow that makes no mention of Wi-Fi, the RIM slides that make a point that the phone doesn't have Wi-Fi, and the insiders that have used the phone and said it doesn't have Wi-Fi are all wrong.
    Well obviously...
    10-06-08 07:52 PM

Which insider said it did not have WIFI? Also what slides from RIM make a point that it does not have WIFI? You offence but you know jack bud.
    10-06-08 07:53 PM
    Have you used the phone?
    Have you?

End Of Story. This thread should be shut down.
    10-06-08 07:58 PM
    Which insider said it did not have WIFI? Also what slides from RIM make a point that it does not have WIFI? You offence but you know jack bud.
    Not attacking you, because I really hope you are right, but Kevin Byrne reported no WiFi and the latest leaked RIM slides from Boy Genius, even though they were old, did show no WiFi.
    10-06-08 07:58 PM
    Have you?

End Of Story. This thread should be shut down.

Why should it be shut down? Because you don not like the fact that I am relaying some information? Please do not post in this thread unless you have something to contribute.
    10-06-08 07:59 PM
    Have you used the phone?
    Yes, I have used both the CDMA and the GSM "Near release" versions and neither one of them have WIFI. It is not there, it does not exist, it is not disabled by the provider because once again THERE IS NO WIFI on the GSM or CDMA current version of this phone!!!!!

Disclaimer: Everything stated in my post above is a lie. I have not seen or used the storm in any way. I just wanted to feel the power of speaking about something I know nothing about as if I did.
    10-06-08 08:00 PM
    Kev made it quite clear that it doesn't have Wi-Fi. I believe his exact words were: "no wi-fi"

The RIM slides didn't have the Wi-Fi box checked off.
    Disclaimer: Everything stated in my post above is a lie. I have not seen or used the storm in any way. I just wanted to feel the power of speaking about something I know nothing about as if I did.
    ^^^lol

But why all the tension? If it has it then YEAY! If not, then don't buy it if you don't want it.
    Not attacking you, because I really hope you are right, but Kevin Byrne reported no WiFi and the latest leaked RIM slides from Boy Genius, even though they were old, did show no WiFi.

I agree with you that they were old slides and that is why no one cannot say it does not have WIFI but from what I heard and they are direct and creditable sources they were not going to have WIFI but it ended up being so.

I know it must sound like alot of crap over the net but I guess time will have to tell in this case.
    10-06-08 08:04 PM
    Hey Crucial,
    I doubt you'll check this thread again but if you do, I'd love to hear more about how you've found the Storm. Not the NDA-protected specs (we pretty much know all that already, thanks BGR) but just the "feel" of the phone. Regarding WiFi, it's a nice feature but the EVDO Rev. A pretty much makes it unnecessary.

I just can't decide between the Curve and the Storm: I think I'd be really happy with the Curve because I want something primarily for calls, messages, IM, e-mail, pictures, and web browsing (in that order). But if I'm paying $30 a month for the data plan, I'd also like to take advantage of that: the Storm has the best and fastest webkit Rev. A browser and unlocked GPS. So I feel like if I get the Curve, I'm crippling myself. If you really think the TSI is good enough, I'll probably go with the Storm because of its great features; if it's not as good as a qwerty keyboard or difficult to navigate, though, I think I'll go with the Curve. So what would you advise?
    10-06-08 08:04 PM
    ^^^lol

But why all the tension? If it has it then YEAY! If not, then don't buy it if you don't want it.

Exactly.......
    10-06-08 08:06 PM
    Why should it be shut down? Because you don not like the fact that I am relaying some information? Please do not post in this thread unless you have something to contribute.
    Because it's counter productive. You posted what you posted today to reconfirm that you will come back when you have proof/released. It's not released or there isn't any undying proof. That is just useless spam. I actually don't care either way, whether you are right or wrong. When it goes Rogers, I will get this unlocked for AT&T.

The End Of Story comment wasn't just for you. It's for anyone arguing online like it really matters at this point in time. Nothing new was contributed.
    10-06-08 08:10 PM
    I agree with you that they were old slides and that is why no one cannot say it does not have WIFI but from what I heard and they are direct and creditable sources they were not going to have WIFI but it ended up being so.
    Here's the slide showing the Storm (Thunder) will not have WiFi:

It doesn't show on this particular slide, but it's dated May 2008. I wouldn't call that old. In fact, it's recent enough that RIM's legal team forced BlackBerryNews to take down the original images.

Now if what you suggest is true, about WiFi not being part of the original plans but now is, then that would be huge. Could it possibly have anything to do with the huge backlash on online forums (such as this) regarding the alleged lack of WiFi? Hmm, interesting notion indeed...

The WiFi omission was never a deal-breaker for me, but if what you claim is true, then that would certainly be the cherry on top.

Sadly, though, I find it very hard to believe. I think that adding/enabling WiFi at such a late stage, just a few weeks before full-blown production deployment, would be a major undertaking and highly unlikely IMO. Verizon has apparently already started acceptance testing, and there's still no word about the inclusion of WiFi by any of the insider ninjas. None of the recent/current test devices seem to have it.

The late addition of WiFi (if it's even true) would mean additional testing time, which in turn would probably push back the final release to December (again assuming that testing goes smoothly).
    Last edited by Dogbert; 10-06-08 at 09:02 PM.
    10-06-08 08:59 PM
    Good find! This is something that is useful.
    10-06-08 09:48 PM
    Why does the Storm have 2 processors?
    10-06-08 09:52 PM
    Ok, so everyone is saying it doesn't have WiFi because kevin byrne listed the specs and he said no WiFi? If that's the case, he also said the camera didn't have a flash when we clearly saw from some pictures that it does. So the WiFi thing could possibly(probably a very small possibility)be wrong also. I say we hold up on the bashing until it's either officially announced it doesn't have WiFi or when we can find out for ourselves once it's released.
    I'll second that....
    10-06-08 09:57 PM
    May I interject some sanity for a moment...

"Your" is used to show posession. "Your dog pooped in my yard."

"You're" means "you are."

This has been a public service announcement.
    10-06-08 10:01 PM
312 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD