also i have the wifi service books for the storm. just with out the magment software i cant set it up.
    07-26-09 04:05 PM
    dude check vzw site read where it states that it has broadband through pc.. so if it does not have wifi i quess every one can start another law suite.. broadband is wifi .. but no i dont spend all my time searching all forums.. i know what vzw states and i would like to make use of broadband on phone not just on the pc.
    Gotta love Necro posts.

From Verizon's web page on the Storm:

Mobile Broadband Connect capable (Windows only)
    Now, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but we all know that the Storm has no hardware for WiFi. To the previous poster, Mobile Broadband is just that, NOT WiFi. Mobile Broadband = Internet through some sort of medium (in this case your cell. What they are referring to is it is possible for you to tether your phone (per Verizon's plan with an added charge) to your PC (which must be running Windows) to use the mobile broadband, internet where ever you are assuming there is service.

And, in case that wasn't clear enough, connecting your phone to a computer is not WiFi...because then it's not wireless. Make sense?
    07-26-09 04:09 PM
    I tend to believe your last statement. When I installed bbm 5.0 i got a pop up stating RIM has disabled Wifi on this device. Correct me if im wrong, but to me disabled means turned off. If it wasnt present it would say not found...

I'm pretty sure BBM doesn't run via the net and is pushed over RIMs network. (which means it would make no difference if you had WiFi or not)
    Last edited by 312; 07-26-09 at 04:19 PM.
    07-26-09 04:11 PM
    my bb does not use rim network
    07-26-09 04:18 PM
    07-26-09 04:18 PM

I'm pretty sure BBM doesn't run via the net. It pushed over RIMs network. (which means there would make no difference if you had WiFi or not)
    maybe so, just telling you what the notice said and it clearly said RIM. From where it came from idk, and really dont care..dont need it anyway...
    07-26-09 04:19 PM
    Really...you use BBM without using RIMs services...interesting.
    07-26-09 04:19 PM
    "mobile broadband connection capable (windows only)" does not mean that you can use bb as modem.. also wifi uses gprs/edge .. and bb has this... say want you want.. i my be new here but im no newbie.... i quess next youll say you cant fully flash the bb and still have web and mms...
    07-26-09 05:12 PM
    "mobile broadband connection capable (windows only)" does not mean that you can use bb as modem.. also wifi uses gprs/edge .. and bb has this... say want you want.. i my be new here but im no newbie.... i quess next youll say you cant fully flash the bb and still have web and mms...
    07-26-09 05:18 PM
    You really have no idea of what you are talking about. RIM handles all BBM messages through their servers. No matter what provider you have, BBM is a RIM product and served by RIM period. Stop posting like you know what you are talking about because you have no idea. There is no WiFi in a Storm PERIOD. What you speak of from the Verizon Site IS NOT WIFI PERIOD. Do some more research and drop the attitude because you are 100% wrong.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!!!!!!!
    07-26-09 05:31 PM
    The Storm actually does have WiFi capable hardware (the Qualcomm processor in the Storm is supposedly a WiFi capable processor according to a Tech I met at WES). The WiFi capabilities are turned off though and there is no way to turn it on (well, I'm sure there are ways, but you'd have to go into the ROM of the phone or beyond - no way for us to do it). Accordingly, for all intensive purposes, the Storm does not have WiFi (even though it could've).

Shadow Walker, if you are using BB Messenger on your phone, you are connected to the BlackBerry network (either via BIS or via BES). BB Messenger works over the BlackBerry network - devices that are WiFi capable can still connect to the BlackBerry Network without using the mobile connection because they can connect to BIS/BES regardless of the type of connection they use.
    07-26-09 05:34 PM
    And to further clarify what the others are saying about mobile broadband on the Verizon network, here's a wiki article for you:

Mobile broadband - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When they say wireless, this is because the phone does not have to be hard wired in order to receive the "wireless" signal. The wireless signal is transmitted by the cell phone towers. All cell phones are wireless. The wireless you are referring to though is a different type of wireless called WiFi and that uses the IEEE 802.11 standards. This is different and this type of wireless is not included as a usable feature on the Storm.

Here's the link for WiFi:

Wi-Fi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, when you say that GPRS is a wireless technology, you are correct, but when you say that it is WiFi, you're mistaken. They are indeed different technologies.
    Last edited by Krypto; 07-26-09 at 05:42 PM.
    07-26-09 05:39 PM
    So we are all in agremment. The storm may or may not be wifi capable
    07-26-09 05:39 PM
    It's not WiFi capable because the hardware is not enabled (but it is wireless because it does use mobile broadband and is a cellphone).
    07-26-09 05:52 PM
    God this Shadow guy is a tardbucket.
    07-26-09 05:57 PM
    The Storm actually does have WiFi capable hardware (the Qualcomm processor in the Storm is supposedly a WiFi capable processor according to a Tech I met at WES). The WiFi capabilities are turned off though and there is no way to turn it on (well, I'm sure there are ways, but you'd have to go into the ROM of the phone or beyond - no way for us to do it). Accordingly, for all intensive purposes, the Storm does not have WiFi (even though it could've).

Shadow Walker, if you are using BB Messenger on your phone, you are connected to the BlackBerry network (either via BIS or via BES). BB Messenger works over the BlackBerry network - devices that are WiFi capable can still connect to the BlackBerry Network without using the mobile connection because they can connect to BIS/BES regardless of the type of connection they use.

That makes more sense then just to say it does not have wifi and most likely you would have to do a ROM modification which isn't worth it... that is if they went that route...

About the BB messenger if that is the program that gets your MMS then yes i do use this but... it does not go through RIM's Network... I don't even use VZW I use cricket which does not have BB servers. i bypassed this and everything works through wap service.
    07-26-09 06:23 PM
    God this Shadow guy is a tardbucket.
    is that the best you could come up with... you been sniffing the glue again i see..
    07-26-09 06:26 PM
    So we are all in agremment. The storm may or may not be wifi capable
    No, we are all in agreement that it is not WIFI capable. To turn it on (if it even exists) someone would have to get into the low level firmware for the chip and somehow activate it. Not Possible. Give it up. This has been beaten to death.
    07-26-09 06:31 PM
    About the BB messenger if that is the program that gets your MMS then yes i do use this but... it does not go through RIM's Network... I don't even use VZW I use cricket which does not have BB servers. i bypassed this and everything works through wap service.
    You have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about. BBM has NOTHING to do with MMS.

Why do people even bother with a BB without having BIS/BES, anyways?
    07-26-09 06:31 PM
    That makes more sense then just to say it does not have wifi and most likely you would have to do a ROM modification which isn't worth it... that is if they went that route...

OK, some more education. The answer is no BBM does not get your MMS. It is a seperate program that allows other Blackberry users to communicate using their Blackberry PIN. If you know other BB users this is the best way to communicate with them (in my opinion) because it has many features that SMS and MMS do not have.
    07-26-09 06:34 PM
    Also Shadow Walker, just so you know, it is Verizon that demands from RIM that they hobble the WIFI capabilities of all the handsets that they produce for them. They feel that in cuts into their revenue stream. The good news is that rumor has it that every Blackberry that goes to Verizon from now on (after the Tour) WILL be WIFI enabled. That is at RIM's insistance. So, we shall see
    07-26-09 06:43 PM
    Why did we dig this up? 9530 does NOT have wifi....

07-26-09 06:44 PM
    Ok gang the poll is back open! I had several requests to reopen the thread. Ok lets educate and then we'll close this puppy for good tomorrow!

Here's an email message from Krypto...

This is a message from Krypto at BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com ......

If you wouldn't mind, could you add the following so that the user at least understands the difference between MMS and BB Messenger?

"Looks like you got some more answers... yup, BB Messenger is indeed a seperate application that does require the BlackBerry network. MMS is sent using the same system as SMS - over the cellular network, the same network that handles your phone calls. BB Messenger goes through the data network.

I hope the information provided here helps clarify things. "
    07-26-09 07:18 PM
    i just got my BBerry Storm last week and when i asked the guy who was helping me if it had Wifi he said no but the Curve does.. the Storm has 3G and the Curve doesnt. it was the trade off between the 2 phones..

anyway this is what the sales rep had told me.. plus i asked about the iphone. its comin in November according to a Verizon Customer Service rep i called when i had an issue with my bill.

please, "dont kill the messanger".. lol
    07-26-09 10:39 PM
    Why did we dig this up? 9530 does NOT have wifi....

Ok...listen here /b/****....
    07-26-09 11:17 PM
312 ... 10111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD