Maybe i imagined it?
    I'm guessing this.
    12-08-08 09:54 PM
    Oh my God, not this thread again! Please Please Close it!
    My thoughts exactly. I was glad to see it die the first time...
    12-08-08 09:55 PM
    I hate wi-fi!! I heard he killed Bruce Lee!
    12-08-08 09:56 PM
    Im not sure if this had been posted before bc i only read 3 of the 11 pages but, The storm uses the qualcomm msm7600 chipset. This chipset is capable of Wi-fi. I looked at the spec sheet on their site. So RIM, maybe verizon forced them to, decided to leave it out of the OS.

Im not computer scientist but it seems to me that the OS would have to be changed to allow the Wi Fi to work.

Correct?

And the way these are flying off verizons shelves, i see no need for RIM to do such a big revision.
    12-09-08 02:16 AM
    Im not sure if this had been posted before bc i only read 3 of the 11 pages but, The storm uses the qualcomm msm7600 chipset. This chipset is capable of Wi-fi. I looked at the spec sheet on their site. So RIM, maybe verizon forced them to, decided to leave it out of the OS.

Im not computer scientist but it seems to me that the OS would have to be changed to allow the Wi Fi to work.

Correct?

And the way these are flying off verizons shelves, i see no need for RIM to do such a big revision.
    Verizon told RIM to leave it out.
    12-09-08 02:19 AM
    really? lame.

even if its there i am sure the processor needs more to make it work. an antenna, etc.
    12-09-08 04:10 AM
    Ok so im going to make a statement here that I hope people will listen to.

I don't know why any of you would argue against having wi-fi on a phone.

From my knowledge the chip isn't even that expensive to put on a phone.

Number 2 people who are concerned about battery. all you have to do is include a ON/OFF in the OS

so to end my conclusion.

The people who don't want wi-fi or who argue the fact that you will never need wi-fi FINE TURN IT OFF but why not have the option? does it make sense to REFUSE features cause thats what your doing with arguing against it.

That way if it is available for the people who want it they can have it and noone gets screwed.

with a iPhone the wifi actually lasted quite long before the battery died. It did drain it faster then normal. However if you turn the radio off when your not using it there is no adverse effect on the battery.

Its like having people say they HATE GPS YOU DONT NEED IT DONT PUT IT ON so now noone can have it cause its not there to have..

It just doesn't make sense to refuse a extra feature.

EDIT: one more thing to prove this. I hardly ever travel out of the country I am sticking with verizon. I purchased the storm it has enough radios to get on almost every cell network out there it has a sim slot. I am not going to USE ANY OF IT. Would I argue that these shouldn't ever be in this phone because I DONT NEED IT. heck no I am happy they are there for others who will use it.
    Last edited by noaim; 12-09-08 at 04:37 AM.
    12-09-08 04:31 AM
    why would verizon tell rim not to include wifi?

what does verizon have to gain from that? you HAVE to have a data plan with the phone, so its nto like they could be worried about that. if anything it would take load off their network.
    12-09-08 04:34 AM
    why would verizon tell rim not to include wifi?

what does verizon have to gain from that? you HAVE to have a data plan with the phone, so its nto like they could be worried about that. if anything it would take load off their network.

I have heard that it was actually vodafone who said no.. this could be wrong but who knows.
    12-09-08 04:40 AM
    that wouldnt make sense, since the 9530 and 9500 are two different models. you could have vodafone 9500 w/o wifi and verizon 9530 w/ wifi
    12-09-08 04:45 AM
    that wouldnt make sense, since the 9530 and 9500 are two different models. you could have vodafone 9500 w/o wifi and verizon 9530 w/ wifi

it kind of does make sense.. verizon and vodafone are one in the same.. if the 9530 had wifi there would be a crap ton of people over there ordering it from here..

you see over there the data is on a monopoly kind of they only get like 500 mb of data a month..

they would love wifi more then us any day of the week..

so I am guessing that it could be very true that vodafone fussed.
    12-09-08 09:02 AM
    EDIT: one more thing to prove this. I hardly ever travel out of the country I am sticking with verizon. I purchased the storm it has enough radios to get on almost every cell network out there it has a sim slot. I am not going to USE ANY OF IT. Would I argue that these shouldn't ever be in this phone because I DONT NEED IT. heck no I am happy they are there for others who will use it.
    seriously, if i go to europe i would just want to use wifi to check my info/mail/etc and i wouldnt get some sim card for wherever i was at, but now i'll have to

money in the bank for carriers
    12-09-08 09:05 AM
    looks like super bling was right, check out the 9520. Sorry can't help myself to resurrect this thread again..
    12-27-08 05:46 AM
    looks like super bling was right, check out the 9520. Sorry can't help myself to resurrect this thread again..
    Hate to say it, but he's still wrong. The title of the thread is "No WIFI on 9530? WRONG", so in fact, he is wrong. 9530 is not the 9520.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by niubeav; 12-27-08 at 08:05 AM.
    12-27-08 08:00 AM
    Okay, look...

If someone wants to take apart their 9530 and take closeup pics (sharp ones!) of the chipset / mainboard so we can read the numbers, then we can put this to bed once and for all.

If there are unpopulated places on the mainboard (where a chip should go but wasn't installed), then we can assume that there were hardware features left out at Verizons request.

If the board is full and there are no WiFi radios, then RIM's statement of no space is true.

If there is a WiFi radio on board, then obviously it's disabled in the OS, but being the Blackberry OS has never been hacked, we'll never see it activated anyway unless another carrier with CDMA does so and we get ahold of their OS.

I'll add this for those he11 bent on WiFi - if you got it, you'd be on this board within 2 days complaining that the "Storms battery life sucks". WiFi is a VERY power hungry technology.
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-27-08 at 08:12 AM.
    12-27-08 08:06 AM
    WiFi is great if you have no coverage. But, I don't see the need my storm is plenty fast loading pages and their is no extra charge since we all have unlimited data plans. And it works wherever I go.
    12-27-08 08:17 AM
    Honestly I don't think that wifi is nessesary......why is wife such a big deal for most peole???

12-27-08 08:22 AM
    Can all sms messages be deleted at once on the 8220 flip or do I have one at a time them (like O Brother where art thou)
    12-27-08 08:27 AM
    I hate wi-fi!! I heard he killed Bruce Lee!
    Bruce put up a fight but he didn't have a chance!
    12-27-08 08:58 AM
    "why is wife such a big deal for most peole???"

I agree...what's she doing out of the kitchen?? Lol

12-27-08 09:02 AM
    Can all sms messages be deleted at once on the 8220 flip or do I have one at a time them (like O Brother where art thou)
    Yes they can, but you might want to go post in the 8220 forum.

12-27-08 09:29 AM
    guys have any of you taken the time to read what verzion has on the phone.. maybe that would be a good idea.. they state that it comes with wifi but only through your pc.. so yes it has wifi but its setup to only work through your pc.. they took out the wifi mangment software on the os.. now we need just a super hacker to come up with a way to use it on the phone.. so stop fighting over this and start figureing out how we can use it.
    07-26-09 03:39 PM
    Dude, do you realize that this is an old thread with the Storm only releasing in Nov 2008 and many of the posters hadn't even seen one yet? Also there is NO WIFI hardware in the Storm. It has been discused ad-nausium
    07-26-09 03:48 PM
    guys have any of you taken the time to read what verzion has on the phone.. maybe that would be a good idea.. they state that it comes with wifi but only through your pc.. so yes it has wifi but its setup to only work through your pc.. they took out the wifi mangment software on the os.. now we need just a super hacker to come up with a way to use it on the phone.. so stop fighting over this and start figureing out how we can use it.
    I tend to believe your last statement. When I installed bbm 5.0 i got a pop up stating RIM has disabled Wifi on this device. Correct me if im wrong, but to me disabled means turned off. If it wasnt present it would say not found...
    07-26-09 03:57 PM
    dude check vzw site read where it states that it has broadband through pc.. so if it does not have wifi i quess every one can start another law suite.. broadband is wifi .. but no i dont spend all my time searching all forums.. i know what vzw states and i would like to make use of broadband on phone not just on the pc.
    07-26-09 03:58 PM
312 ... 910111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD