So I arrived in Ireland yesterday with my Verizon Tour, for which I purchased an international place from Verizon for the duration of my trip. Since landing, however, I have had no service whatsoever, only a red "sos" indicator at the top of my home screen. I got in touch with Verizon via email, and this is the jist of what they said:

"...there is an outage that has been reported in Europe that is affecting our customers, which is the reason why your phone was working until recently. This outage is being addressed and a resolution is in the works. We do not have an ETA on when the outage will be resolved but it should be resolved soon. I would suggest that you periodically do a soft reset by removing the battery from the back of your phone for one to two minutes before powering the phone back on so that the SIM card can try to register in the network. Since Verizon Wireless is not the service provider, we cannot guarantee network availability or the functionality of calling features, such as Voice Mail notification or Caller ID."

It seems that they didn't get that my phone has not been working at all for over the past 24 hours, and I've been researching but unable to find any outages this severe in Europe in the past 24 hours.

I have tried numerous things: battery pulls, every setting under Network connections, ect. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my Verizon/Vodafone SIM card (which is impossible to get out, so I haven't tried too hard for fear of damaging it). If anyone has any solutions, please let me know ASAP thanks!
    06-10-10 07:56 AM
    Sounds like Verizon dropped a roaming agreement and you have no permission to use the Irish networks. AFAIK all the Irish networks are operating normally.

SOS indicates you have network signal but no permission to use any of those available except for emergency calls.

If your BB service is critical the simple solution is to use a local SIM card. That will mean getting your phone unlocked (unless it is already unlocked) and a visit to a local phone store, you should be able to get a prepay SIM with data service. Try to get VZ to give you the unlock code for your phone free of charge as an emergency measure.

Getting the SIM out is usually easy - but they are difficult to grip for removal. The usual tricks are to slip the corner of a business card under the SIM so it lifts easily as it slides out of the reader. If you can't get a good grip try the eraser on the end of a pencil.
    06-10-10 11:32 AM
    If I remember correctly the 8330 is just like the 8310 for SIM card removal. It's very easy, just slide the metal over back and it falls right out.

Now the 8900, that's a feat of prayer, magic and sheer stubbornness.
    06-10-10 11:55 AM
    You gotta pull the battery on the Tour for the SIM.
    06-10-10 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD