It's a bit frustrating, how some theme and app makers don't think about the fact that some of us don't have the data plan. I, personally, am too broke for it. So I came up with a python script that will create a folder full of the files needed to install that app or theme you covet using just a link to the JAD file.

I present to you: No-OTA version 1! (beta)

This should work from Linux or Windows as long as you have python installed. In Linux, make the file executable and run it from a console with the url to a JAD as the argument. From Windows, if python is properly set up you should be able to open a Command Prompt and type "python No-OTA.py {url}", where {url} is the url to a JAD file. So, for example:

Linux:
    No-OTA.py {url}

Windows:
    python No-OTA.py {url}

This will result in a folder containing a JAD file and several COD files. Place these files somewhere on your device, then go to the Media player, and at the screen where you choose between Images, Video, Audio, etc., press the Blackberry symbol button (Options button) and select Explore. Find the folder you put on your device and select the JAD file. Finally, select "Download" and it will read the COD files and install the app or theme.

Would someone please test that this works in Windows?

Let me know if it's useful.

I lurk too much without posting, so I can't post a link. Go to kittyanarchy dot net slash No-OTA.py

Version 2:
    Whoops! Didn't realize you could also have full urls in the JAD file. Updated the script to accomodate that.
    Last edited by Lunisneko; 11-02-08 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Version 2
    11-02-08 01:55 AM
    This has already been accomplished for Windows, but the Linux part should be very useful.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/sof...cod-alx-45721/
    11-02-08 02:00 AM
    Very cool! I'll download tomorrow and test it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-08 02:47 AM
    This has already been accomplished for Windows, but the Linux part should be very useful.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/sof...cod-alx-45721/
    Agreed. Thanks for the Linux support

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-08 08:25 AM
    Is there a way to download the install files from a wap site from a PC (with IE)? The app maker only offers SMS links for OTA or wap install. I have no data plan/text messaging. Granted, the app will need data plan but I have no WiFi at the moment and can't wait.
    11-11-08 02:46 PM
    Wow, a Linux dev! Is there a way to transfer themes and applications to the BB in Linux? I know you can charge it and sync it, but I thought you needed DM for apps and themes.
    11-11-08 07:21 PM
    i may be way behind on this but is there any way you could develop a mac version? i am so screwed. i don't have a data plan, and i have a mac (no pocketmac freezes and shuts down my computer when i try to install a theme)

and i DESPERATELY want a new theme. ..... help
    02-19-09 06:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD