Hello, I am a BB newbie and I have a (burning) question which hopefully can be answered on this great site...

I have a BB Pearl 8110. I really like it but I am having trouble with the memory. I know there have been TONS of posts about memory but none of the ones I have read really answer my question.

I have a 2G memory card in my phone. The media card and mass storage media options are both on. I have about 10 pics and 10 songs on the media card. When I look at my media card status, it shows

Available Space: 1.8G
    Free Space: 1.8G

Now my PHONE's status card shows 26635132Bytes as file free.

First of all, I don't know if this is even alot or what(I've erased some apps from my phone that I don't use). But more importantly, whenever I download any of the free ringtones or wallpaper provided here, I think it is using up the storage on my phone and NOT my media card.

So I guess my question is, how do I get future downloads etc. to use my media card as opposed to my phone's memory space? I would like to utilize the memory card and also I have been hearing alot that my phone will start to delete stuff once I get too low on my phone's memory.

PLEASE, any help would be great. And also, I am totally NOT up to date on terms, so as simple as possible would be great too. (I know, I'm pretty pathetic)

I REALLY like my new phone and I REALLY like this website.
    05-17-09 10:51 PM
    I know very little I'm new too. But go to the media screen. Hit the BB button the 7 dotted button. Set device memory limit to 15mb. Then in pictures set reserve picture memory to 0 mb. Should speed up your device. Somewhat atleast. Sorry if I'm not too much help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 11:02 PM
    When you are using you camera or video you have to open up your options menu and change the folder where you want your media stored.

05-17-09 11:03 PM
    First I just want you to know that I dont know everything about these things but hopefully some of this will help you.

The number of bytes that is shown is basically a breakdown of the whole amount you have. I believe that 26635132Bytes is close to 2GB. Its like asking someone how many pennies are in a $1,000.

I myself dont know how/or if its possible to put apps on your memory card but you can definitely put mp3 and wallpapers, pictures, videos, phone contacts all on your memory card leaving the phones memory free for applications.

The best way to do this is by connecting your phone to your computer and then opening up the memory card within your phone. On your computer, go to start, then my computer. You should see a K:file or J:file (shown on my computer...yours may be different) but you should see something pop-up that usually isn't there. There should be two options, a device memory and a memory card. Select memory card and check to see if your files are stored there.
    05-17-09 11:07 PM
    You need to save them directly to your media card when downloading them. Apps cannot be saved onto the media card but wallpapers and ringtones can be. When saving the box that pops up should have a picture of a folder at the top, scoll up to it, click your trackball on it, and select the folder you want to save it into. If you don't see "Media Card" as an option then it is already saving onto the media card.

If they are automatically saving into your phone memory you can also move them onto your media card by highlighting the item > Blackberry Button > Move > Select Media Card > Select Folder > Blackberry Button > Move Here

Hope this helps.

Last edited by kakakasiBB; 05-17-09 at 11:11 PM.
    05-17-09 11:08 PM
    If you find you do have files stored in your phones memory and not the memory card, you may have to transfer the files over. This is done by clicking the file, dragging it to where you want then dropping it into the desired folder..... a lot easier than it seems.

PM me if you need a little more detailed help with transferring.
    05-17-09 11:11 PM
    You guys are making it complicated. Apps can not be stored on your media card, change the folder options when you are using your camera device or video device. You get there by being in Camera mode, and you press the button left of the trackball, and select options. From there, just change the folder options.

As far as the media stored on your device, just drag and drop when you have it connected to your PC.

05-17-09 11:15 PM
    Thanks for all the info. As I said, I'm pretty pathetic!

I did set up the device memory limit to 15mb and the pics to 0mb.

Also, Camel_Back, I am kind of getting that I need to store pics/music etc. on the media card to free up memory on the phone. I experimented my taking a pic with my phone and then deleting it. By looking at options, I see that I DO have it set to "Store pics on media card" so I think that's OK. But is there any kind of option like that which I am supposed to set when downloading ringtones and stuff? Or is the File Free size showing my phone's memory + memory card?

Anyway, thanks everyone so much!
    05-17-09 11:17 PM
    The "file free" only shows your phones memory.

05-17-09 11:22 PM
    I tend to create my own ringtones through phonezoo.com and then once they are sent to me, i transfer them to my media card. As for your memory being shown... i cant answer that. My phone show free device memory and free media card memory. Different phone.

Try this:
    Go to Media. Push your blackberry button (the one with seven dots)
    do you see an explore button?
    05-17-09 11:25 PM
    Not trying to be a smart a$$... But, I really found it ironic and funny that the thread was labled "no-nothing newbie..." It's obvious the OP meant "know-nothing newbie..." I think he was being ironic... It's actually even funnier if it wasn't intentional.

That aside, all of the above info is good for memory help. I'm not very experienced with pearls. However, I think memory is a universal bb issue. I don't know if it's been covered yet - but, you can set the messages to only store 15 days instead of longer. That may help clrear up some memory.

05-17-09 11:25 PM
    If you are looking for more ways to free up more phone memory check out the Blackberry 101 lecture.

How To Free Up Memory.

Last edited by kakakasiBB; 05-17-09 at 11:36 PM.
    05-17-09 11:34 PM
    ..for all the useful info and suggestions!

Camel_Back, I did check out the BB button on media and then explore and found it a great help because it had a Media Card folder and Device Memory folder. When I checked out the properties it showed me exactly how much storage I was taking up (0.5% apparently on the phone).

Also, thanks for the info about sites and how apps can't be stored on the media card etc. And thanks for being patient with a good-for-'know'thing-newbie
    05-17-09 11:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD