I'm kind of curious as to why the name of the carrier is not displayed on the home screen above the clock on CDMA devices? On GSM phones it will say the carrier name, like T-Mobile or AT&T. Anyone who has used both GSM and CDMA BlackBerries will know what I am talking about. I know this is of little to no significance, but I'm a little curious.

Any info?
    01-04-12 07:23 PM
    If you mean network as "Service Provider" then the info is redundant on a CDMA because they very rarely roam - for practical purposes CDMA only exists in USA where you would expect to be on home network anyway. On a GSM device roaming is more likely with international travel so users like to know which network they are using. It can be a big cost factor for the guy near a home/roaming jump point and gets locked onto the wrong tower.
    Answer extracted from the following thread: Why don't CDMA carriers display a network banner on BlackBerry's?

A quick search would've answered your question.
    anon(4140245) likes this.
    01-04-12 07:27 PM
    I see.. but CDMA networks actually DO exist outside of the US... Canada, Mexico, China, South Korea, Japan, India... What happens if you roam on a non-US CDMA network? Also, what happens when you roam internationally on GSM networks? Is the banner displayed or not? I've only ever used a GSM-only phone outside of the US...
    01-04-12 08:15 PM
    I see.. but CDMA networks actually DO exist outside of the US... Canada, Mexico, China, South Korea, Japan, India... What happens if you roam on a non-US CDMA network? Also, what happens when you roam internationally on GSM networks? Is the banner displayed or not? I've only ever used a GSM-only phone outside of the US...
    If you take a CDMA phone outside of the US, you're usually charged a HUGE roaming fee.
    That is why most people just get a phone with a SIM card slot (Bold 9650), unlock and use a local SIM.
    As for the network banner, I think it does show when it's unlocked and on a GSM carrier. Not quiet sure though.
    anon(4140245) likes this.
    01-04-12 08:21 PM
    Get used to it, it wont appear.
    01-04-12 11:27 PM
    Probably because you have to call the actual CDMA carrier to activate a phone on that line, so you would most likely know who the carrier is just from going through that hassle.

With GSM, you can easily swap SIM cards, which many people do on frequent basis, so it makes sense to let them know which carrier they're using at the moment...
    01-04-12 11:29 PM
  7. T
    Yea, that's how it works on my 9650. If I'm on Sprint's network, it says 1XEV in the upper right hand corner and the wifi network I'm on in the top middle. If I switch to my T-Mobile SIM card, it will say T-Mobile and the name of my wifi network in the middle and "edge" in the upper right hand corner. Though it does say Sprint for the provider in the mobile network settings and service status screens when I'm on Sprint.
    01-04-12 11:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD