We just received the following email from our IT person:

Just received an email from Andy at Corp, they will no longer be purchasing additional Blackberry Enterprise Server licenses and are slowly phasing out the �crackberry� devices.

Bottom line.. too expensive to maintain, with updates and with manpower babysitting the servers.

Most of you have iPhones on your xxx-585-xxxx corporate lines, which is great! But Android based phones are a great alternative as well, so when your phone is up for renewal, let me know what you are interested in.

I am devastated. I don't want to give up my BlackBerry. I have had the Tour for over and year and LOVE it.
    09-20-10 03:49 PM
    Makes sense to me!
    09-20-10 03:58 PM
    that's sad.
    09-20-10 04:05 PM
    We just received the following email from our IT person:

Just received an email from Andy at Corp, they will no longer be purchasing additional Blackberry Enterprise Server licenses and are slowly phasing out the “crackberry” devices.

Bottom line.. too expensive to maintain, with updates and with manpower babysitting the servers.

Most of you have iPhones on your xxx-585-xxxx corporate lines, which is great! But Android based phones are a great alternative as well, so when your phone is up for renewal, let me know what you are interested in.

I am devastated. I don't want to give up my BlackBerry. I have had the Tour for over and year and LOVE it.
    I'm confused! If they don't want to do the "BES" thing, why can't they pay for you guys to have BIS service??

(i guess what I'm asking is: are there enterprise services for android?)
    09-20-10 04:13 PM
    Here is an update:

They are putting up an Outlook Web Access that we will be able to use if we keep our BlackBerry. I understand there will be a 15 minute delay getting email.
    09-20-10 05:20 PM
    So are they hooking these iPhones and Android devices up through Exchange or what?
    09-20-10 05:45 PM
    (i guess what I'm asking is: are there enterprise services for android?)
    This company or in general? Android supports Microsoft Exchange out of the box, and the new enterprise solution Verizon is pushing for....

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...droid-services
    09-20-10 05:48 PM
    If you really want a blackberry. Why not have one for your personal phone. I have two right now. Curve for work on BES and the Torch for personal which is on BIS.

Is the OP's company allowing the combination of work and personal phones? How's that even allowed? Calling the client and calling your lover all shouldered by the company?
    Unless they're one and the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-10 05:49 PM
    Here is an update:

They are putting up an Outlook Web Access that we will be able to use if we keep our BlackBerry. I understand there will be a 15 minute delay getting email.
    You won't get OTA syncing of your calendar or contacts at all. For that you need to manually sync using the BB Desktop Manager that will need to be installed on your work PC and plug your BB into the usb.

Not a big deal for contacts, but kind of sucks for calendar entries. At least meeting invites will get picked up by the BB calendar when they come in as emails.

That's what I do. Our office did a similar thing because the bosses all got iPhones. Emails are a little delayed, but they do reconcile after a while. The emails will update at a faster rate if you constantly get emails coming in, but if there's a lull, it will go back to checking at 15 minute intervals.

09-20-10 06:01 PM
    This company or in general? Android supports Microsoft Exchange out of the box, and the new enterprise solution Verizon is pushing for....

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...droid-services
    I did mean "in general". thanks.

ah, won't a company have to expend their energies supporting the Android platform? I'm not clear how getting away from BB is a "win" for your company.
    Last edited by dave1812; 09-20-10 at 06:13 PM.
    09-20-10 06:10 PM
    Blackberry is probably going to have to slash BES licensing prices or give them away for free if this becomes a trend in the market. These is still the issue of carriers charging for BES access too.
    09-20-10 06:15 PM
    ^ i completely agree...
    09-21-10 10:26 AM
    Is this memo even real? I heard they're on BES over at Apple ...
    09-21-10 04:19 PM
    Is this memo even real? I heard they're on BES over at Apple ...
    Apple does use BIS/BES type services, but they do not use the same exact servers as Research in Motion.

09-21-10 04:23 PM
    Here's an editorial that may give pause to any company considering ditching their BlackBerries for iPhones and Android phones:

Android and iPhone Taking Over the Enterprise… Wait a Minute! | BerryReview.com
    09-21-10 07:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD