Been using a phone that hooks up by BT for a year or two. (Uniden ELBT595--discontinued but probably still available on EBay or elsewhere on line). The BT connection works better with my Curve than my old Razr. I almost never use the landline but still hesistate to drop it, mainly for emergencies. Dial 911 on a landline and even if you're too bad off to give your address the operator gets a read-out with your address. Most modern cells do broadcast their position if you dial 911 but it's still not as precise. Could cost a couple of minutes you can't afford to lose.
    There was actually a case up here in the last couple of weeks where a child died because of a VoIP provider not dispatching the ambulance to the right address. They claimed the customer didn't update their information when they moved - yet they took their service with them and were getting bills so that tells me the company knew where the **** they lived. The inquest founf that the VoIP company was at fault. That is the sort of thing I would be terrified of.

We get VoIP customers that you can't understand when their internet is acting up.
    05-20-08 01:16 AM
    i only use a cell phone since 2000
    i dont use voip unless im calling overseas
    i have comcast cable internet
    i bought a nice bluetooth headset a few years ago (plantronics 655) but as i hate to talk on the phone i never use it unless i need to call some customer service
    my bb is always close at hand if not attached to my hip (or asleep on the nightstand)
    05-20-08 02:52 AM
    I as well carry my phone with me in the house. We have a landline but I never use it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 03:37 AM
    I'm a BB addict so I carry it around the house. I don't leave any room without it.

Lol........ me too.
    05-20-08 08:59 AM
    I haven't had a land line in 4+ years. But now that I'm with my wife and 5 year old son, I am thinking about getting one so if something happens to the wife or myself and only the son is there he doesn't have to find a cell phone, he can call 911 and get help.
    05-20-08 09:01 AM
    i always carry it with me. if i dont have pockets, i stuff it in my bra, as weird as that is.
    Haha!! I'm glad that I'm not the only female that does that... Even when I go to a club I just stuff it between my boobs!! lol... Too MUCH INFO!! sorry
    05-20-08 09:11 AM
    Haha!! I'm glad that I'm not the only female that does that... Even when I go to a club I just stuff it between my boobs!! lol... Too MUCH INFO!! sorry
    haha - i do that too.
    05-20-08 01:24 PM
    In my pocket...advtg of having a pearl
    05-20-08 01:26 PM
    It's always with me.. And no landline for about 10 years.. Never a problem.. What with the long distance and other perks from wireless carriers no need for a landline.. JK

05-20-08 01:59 PM
    I went without a land line for about 5 years, used a cable modem instead for my Internet and television, and a cell phone to talk.

Then I moved to a place where I could get DirecTV so bye bye cable modem, DSL was cheaper. No voice plan per se, I had what they call "metered service," which I never used. Ran that for 3 years without ever hooking a telephone to it, though I had a wired phone handy for emergencies.

6 months ago I moved into a house with my fiancee. She has a cell phone but hardly ever uses it; had an answering machine at her place, not even voicemail. So, I transferred my land line/DSL over to the new place, added a local and long distance plan to it, and bought a 4 station cordless setup. Few months later I dissolved my physical office and do my business from home now.

So, with the unlimited local and LD on the voice line, I use my cell phone about half as much and cut my minutes way down to offset the cost. Fiancee uses the LL as her main phone, but I've had the same cell phone number for 10 years and my peeps don't even know what my home number is. If a call comes in where I know it's gonna be a long one I just call them back from the LL.

Emergencies are the best reason to have one, IMO. Being in earthquake country I'm confident that at least one of the 2 systems will be functional. I also like the peace of mind knowing that as long as I can reach one of the 4 phones and dial 911, someone's gonna show up even if I can't talk.

Another upside is that even if she's on the phone I can still receive and place calls from the cell.

Downside: The former owner of this line, which I've had 3 years, has a boat load of collection agencies after her so we get a lot of those calls. And after years and years of peace I now get unsolicited calls even though it's on the national do not call list.

BTW, in any case my BB is always within reaching distance, just like my cell phones always were. And I love not having to dink with the computer just to check my email anymore.

OMT, I would never rely on a VOIP land line. Cable companies are even more evil and unreliable than telco's are. I use international calling cards for overseas calls, which are rare.
    Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 05-20-08 at 05:03 PM.
    05-20-08 05:00 PM
    Landline was killed off almost 10 years ago. The wife and I have cell phones and we just leave them near us. If we miss a call, that's what voicemail is for. I'm paying for it, might as well use it.
    05-20-08 05:13 PM
    No land line here either, I had Vonage for the longest time but my daughter was the only one who used it. So we canx that and just use our cell phones. Before the dogs chewed up my bluetooth headset I would normally keep my blackberry near me and carry the bluetooth in my pocket and put it on if I got a call. Since the bluetooth is gone now, I keep the berry with-in hands reach
    05-20-08 05:37 PM
    I attended a press conference the other day, and they talked about how 1 in ever 6 home in the US have disconnected their land line and went to cell phones.
    05-21-08 03:25 PM
    There's probably more up here. I only have a couple of friends who have had their same number for over 20 years.
    05-21-08 04:56 PM
    My BB is clipped to my side at all times and I have no landline. So far, after a year, it is working well for me. On a side note, have a back up phone just in case.

05-21-08 05:08 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD