So every two years since 1999 I've been super excited to get a phone upgrade when my telco allows it. I've actually counted down the days until I'm due for an upgrade at a reduced price.

However, this year I have absolutely no urge to upgrade my Tour (I will be able to on Wednesday). I don't know why, but I think it's because the new Blackberries don't seem all that different. Sure they have a trackpad instead of a ball, but my ball is fine. OS6 doesn't seem all that much better than OS5, and I don't want a touch screen BB because if I'm going touchscreen I'll get an iPhone.

Anybody in the same boat? I don't really know what to do other than save my money!
    06-12-11 08:16 PM
    Wait until something that you enjoy is released, then upgrade to the device you want.
    You'll be on a Month to Month plan with Verizon until you upgrade.
    06-12-11 08:42 PM
    I pretty much agree. I have a storm2 and it still works great...but I think the reason you think this way is because RIM is dragging their feet on handhelds and seemingly putting the PB at the forefront. I will admit I think when the manaco is released I'll more than likely get one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-11 08:46 PM
    Being due for an upgrade doesn't mean you HAVE to upgrade! Like californiablackberry said - wait until there's something you enjoy and get that when the time comes. If you are happy with your current device, keep it!
    06-13-11 01:32 AM
    I know the feeling. My best friend's phone died and she's been given $500 by Verizon for a replacement. Looking at the selection out there, it's pretty disappointing that Blackberry's newest model for CDMA is over a year old. She's borrowed a friend's Storm for now, but after getting a glimpse of how powerful and app rich Android is, it's getting harder for me to convince her to stay BB
    06-13-11 09:26 AM
    Mine still works great also but I wouldn't mind having wifi and a few things the tour does not. My trackball is still fine also, this is my first and only tour.
    06-13-11 09:42 AM
    My dilema is get new phone or get a playbook, I don't think I can get both.

06-13-11 10:28 AM
    I have a Tour now and feel the same way about the current devices.
    I'm hoping the 9900 will change all that
    06-13-11 10:29 AM
    My dilema is get new phone or get a playbook, I don't think I can get both.

That's a tough choice. If you need the playbook now then buy it. If not then wait a bit until the platform gels.

My friend has the Tour/Playbook combo and they are syncing together well.
    06-13-11 10:36 AM
    That's a tough choice. If you need the playbook now then buy it. If not then wait a bit until the platform gels.

My friend has the Tour/Playbook combo and they are syncing together well.
    I don't think anybody "needs" a PlayBook but I sure want it. I'm hoping for a combo deal by September.

06-13-11 10:53 AM
    Absolutely nothing wrong with being content with what you've got. Some might actually say it's a good thing. All my BB's have worked great; I'm just the ADHD type who likes to check out the newest offerings no matter how well the current ones are working. But nothing says you have to upgrade just because you can, especially if what you have is working for you.

06-13-11 10:58 AM
    I'm in no rush to upgrade my Tour either. In fact, I sold my Bold and went back to Tour because I like the trackball and OS 5 better. Look it's your phone and your life... You shouldn't feel the need to explain your decisions to anyone IMHO.

06-13-11 02:32 PM
    I do not plan to upgrade, since OS 7 is not different enough than OS 6. I want to wait for QNX. Also, AT&T will be rolling out LTE, so I want to see if I have LTE next year. If so, an LTE device would be nice.

06-13-11 02:37 PM
    I've been due for an upgrade for about a month. (Sprint CS gave me a free super early upgrade when they killed the yearly upgrades.

(the yearly upgrades will resume as soon as I upgrade because I'll be paying an extra 10 dollars per month.)

06-13-11 04:24 PM
    get a 9900

or, as other good folks said here - wait for something that you would like and then get it upgraded.
    06-13-11 06:28 PM
    I've been on my BB for almost 2 years now and I have almost 1500 posts here on crackberry, but I think I'm gonna switch to an iPhone. Just read that iPhone supports IMAP and my BB doesn't even do that (unless I get BES which I'm not going to). I mean come on, everybody and I mean everybody has IMAP except BB?

I never thought I'd say this but I run a small business and I think iPhone will be better for it. The two big things I need are email and web browsing, and iPhone wins both of those.

There are only 2 issues that keep me on BB. Free tethering, and the ability to sync the BB calendar with my google calendar. If iPhone can do both of those I'm through here.
    Last edited by Furballz; 06-14-11 at 03:54 AM.
    06-14-11 03:52 AM
    I've been on my BB for almost 2 years now and I have almost 1500 posts here on crackberry, but I think I'm gonna switch to an iPhone. Just read that iPhone supports IMAP and my BB doesn't even do that (unless I get BES which I'm not going to). I mean come on, everybody and I mean everybody has IMAP except BB?

I never thought I'd say this but I run a small business and I think iPhone will be better for it. The two big things I need are email and web browsing, and iPhone wins both of those.

There are only 2 issues that keep me on BB. Free tethering, and the ability to sync the BB calendar with my google calendar. If iPhone can do both of those I'm through here.
    I have my 1and1.co.uk set up as IMAP on my bb, you don't get full imap or folders but you do get instant push email out of the box.

For a full imap client have a look at Logicmail for blackberry, full imap and doesn't need BES, doesn't even need BIS.

Gmail on blackberry is almost full imap.

06-14-11 04:36 AM
    iPhone can sync with google calendar and contacts. Works very well with Exchange Active Sync and you get your email pushed to the phone too.
    06-14-11 08:03 AM
    As a shut in my BB is my port to the world I fucin love it. 9000
    With track ball yes that its only weak link ,but I am very content
    And pleased with this phone and only hope that when I do an
    Upgrade someday its just as good as this 9000.

06-14-11 01:57 PM
    My upgrade isn't for awhile. I am locked down till Feb of next year, so I am hoping I see some good reviews on the new BB's, however my issue at that time will be hopefully some QNX phones will be on the horizon and if so, I would more than likely keep my 9700 and wait it out.

06-14-11 04:17 PM
    I've had my 9700 since November 2009. I love this phone. I think I will get the 9900 when it comes out but I think I would also be happy if I stuck with the 9700.
    06-14-11 04:21 PM
    For a full imap client have a look at Logicmail for blackberry, full imap and doesn't need BES, doesn't even need BIS.

Gmail on blackberry is almost full imap.
    I will check that out. I don't use gmail because I have my own domain names with Thunderbird as my client and direct IMAP access into the hosting provider. I have a ton of email folders I would like to be able to access from my phone. If BB can do IMAP it would go very far in helping my situation.

EDIT: Wow that Logicmail Rules. I wish BB could come up with something like that and integrate it into the phone so it's nice and seamless for consumers using BIS. I can't imagine why they wouldn't have done so by now. Strange business decisions all around.

EDIT2: Whoops, Logicmail just froze my phone :\
    Last edited by Furballz; 06-14-11 at 06:40 PM.
    06-14-11 06:21 PM
    I will check that out. I don't use gmail because I have my own domain names with Thunderbird as my client and direct IMAP access into the hosting provider. I have a ton of email folders I would like to be able to access from my phone. If BB can do IMAP it would go very far in helping my situation.
    FYI gmail will host your own domain names and give you IMAP or EAS access to your mail. I have hosted three different domains with them.
    06-14-11 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD