My wife and I recently switched to Virgin Mobile and bought two Blackberry Curves 8530. Everything has been going well, and I've enjoyed my phone for the last week. I've made calls today and everything seemed fine.

However, about an hour ago, I got a busy signal when making a call to my wife. I tried my home, my friends, my voicemail..... all busy.

I called Virgin, and they confirmed that when they called me it went straight to voicemail despite me having full bars. Here's the kicker. My data and texts work fine. I've been getting email notifications, texts and even dowloaded an app update while on the phone with virgin (called on my work phone).

They basically said it must be the phone itself, but they asked if I wanted to escalate the issue to corporate, in which I said yes. Now I have to wait 24 hours for them to get back to me.

Here's the weird thing. I got an email from my eye doctor to confirm an appointment. Out of habit I clicked on the phone number in the email to call back, and walla! It goes through and I was able to talk to them perfectly fine! I then called my house, and same good results! My wife, and I can talk to her. YAY my problems are free.

No. I called my house after her one more time and now that call and any call after that just gets the failed call message and a busy signal.

This pretty much confirmed to me that the phone's hardware isn't broken as it was able to make a call. It's obviously talking to the satellite as it's getting a changing signal (bars go up and down).

What could this be? What should be my next move?

Thanks everyone.
    11-15-11 04:48 PM
    Take the battery out and put it back in. Wait for the boot and see if your issues are resolved.
    That was the first thing I thought of. No dice .

I'm doing a system update atm. I'm hoping that fixes things. Thanks for the reply!
    11-15-11 06:10 PM
    That was the first thing I thought of. No dice .

I'm doing a system update atm. I'm hoping that fixes things. Thanks for the reply!
    Did you check your connections where you set up you Bluetooth etc and see if your radio is on?
    11-15-11 06:39 PM
    If you have only had the phone for a week I would take it back and get another one.
    11-15-11 06:41 PM
    Radio is on. Update didn't help. Just so you know, once in a blue moon it WILL connect a call. However, 99% of the time it will not..

After a hard reset it tends to allow a call to go through a couple times. But after that, nothing.

I've sent service books. I got one call, and then nothing again after that.

Very frustrated at this point. I can't return it, it's a used phone.
    11-15-11 07:35 PM
    Radio is on. Update didn't help. Just so you know, once in a blue moon it WILL connect a call. However, 99% of the time it will not..

After a hard reset it tends to allow a call to go through a couple times. But after that, nothing.

I've sent service books. I got one call, and then nothing again after that.

Very frustrated at this point. I can't return it, it's a used phone.
    Ahhh now it comes out which you could have said at the beginning that this is a used phone obviously with problems. You are going to have to check with your carrier about used phones and whattheir warrany policy is? if it has none you might be out of luck unless they do something for you to keep you as a customer. Good luck
    11-15-11 07:39 PM
    Ahhh now it comes out which you could have said at the beginning that this is a used phone obviously with problems. You are going to have to check with your carrier about used phones and whattheir warrany policy is? if it has none you might be out of luck unless they do something for you to keep you as a customer. Good luck
    So you honestly think it's the phone itself? Like I said, it's been working absolutely perfectly since day one.
    11-15-11 07:43 PM
    I called the company I got this from, and they're taking it back (after some finessing). I'll be without a phone for about a week, but hopefully I can get one during the black friday Target sale (they have an optimus or w/e it's called for 49.99).

Thanks everyone for your help...
    11-15-11 07:53 PM
    By used phone, do you mean refurbished, or do you mean just used and you purchased used from from a third party? If the first one, your carrier should have a policy. If the latter, and you got the phones on the cheap, then this is a lesson in cost effectiveness and you are out your money. Hope its the former and not the latter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-11 07:57 PM
    It's refurbished.

Anywho, this is going to sound nuts, but guess what.. it's now fully working. Just as I was about to take out my SD card and deactivate it tomorrow (then pack it up for shipping), I tried it out.. I make a call every couple minutes and text as well, and everything is going through just like it used to. This is very confusing as Virgin said the error code was coming from my end not theirs, yet I did nothing since it last was not working.

I know it's not where I work as I tried using the phone several times on the way home to test it. Plus it's always worked fine at work before.

I won't tell the company it's ok until I test it all day tomorrow at work. Hopefully this means it's back to normal.

Ugh, what a hassle...
    11-16-11 12:35 AM
    I'm with kellyjdrummer exchange the phone, you don't know if it will start flaking out again and if it does it will likely be out of warranty.
    11-16-11 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD