I have observed it a lot that when somebody mentions that there are 'no apps' on his/her blackberry, people correct them by saying - you can download them by Snap or any other third party app store - which are basically somewhat broken android apps - why i say broken? - because they are not optimized(phone heats up, battery drains) for the OS or the phone screen dimensions.

Running android apps are no match to having Native 'Blackberry 10' OS experience, but blackberry doesn't seem to realize it. To make it worse, they are trying to push it deeper and deeper by providing more android apps via another 3rd party Appstore, that is, Amazon App store.

On one hand the platforms are trying to unify everything, by making everything available at one place - Play store, Apple app store, etc. - to give a better and more native experience - by providing developers with tools required to optimize the apps for the OS (graphically and operation wise),
    Blackberry is diversifying the experience more and more by allowing android apps to be stored in the phone - thereby giving users a lot more trouble in getting things done.

How does it feel to get shifted from a well located house at the best and most convenient locations of a city, to a remote rural place with no appropriate facilities? - that's exactly what a non-native experience feels like.
    and Blackberry should know it.
    11-10-14 07:08 AM
    In actuality there are tons of apps available in BB App World. Yes there are some key apps missing, but plenty are there and there are many great alternatives. And my experience with Android apps on my Z30 has been quite good!
    11-10-14 08:10 AM
    Because BlackBerry never tried to get native apps. Right.

Posted via CB10
    RubberChicken76 and AcADIeN like this.
    11-10-14 08:13 AM
    OP is overreaching.

It's simply false to say that Android apps in general don't work well, heat up the phone, or don't fit the screen. Some work superbly well; many don't cause the phone to heat up or drain the battery unduly; many display just fine on my Passport screen.

What the OP should have said is: The end user can't depend on any given Android app working well on a BB10 device, and can't depend on it continuing to work well if and when it is updated. If you're lucky, the Android apps you want will work just fine.

I've been pretty lucky, but someone else may not be. Anyone who needs to know that any Android app will work shouldn't get a BB10 phone.
    11-10-14 08:21 AM
    Android apps in generally is a battery drainer. They use most of the services for no reason.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.1016
    11-10-14 08:30 AM
    yah right

I have 60 Apps and 10 games loaded. All from BBW except for netflix and Instagram ( which I have never to upload only to view friends posts)

I have another 1/2 dozen that I have tried but am not using, can relaod anytime.

There were more for my Z10 but not that many.

I use about 10 on a daily basis , probably another 10 no more than monthly.

Does anyone really use more than this?

I user the browser sometimes where an app is available because the browser works better , eg, IMDB.

Keep in mind many iPhone apps exist due to the limitations of Safari.
    11-10-14 08:32 AM
    I have lots of android games running without a glitch in my Z30. I have no issues or problems at all.

From my ? phone.
    11-10-14 08:34 AM
    The only problem app that I had was Monopoly from BB World. It drained battery like a mofo even though I never used it. It also was a space hog, so I deleted it.

I use several Android apps with no performance issues or overheating.
    11-10-14 08:41 AM
    The only problem app that I had was Monopoly from BB World. It drained battery like a mofo even though I never used it. It also was a space hog, so I deleted it.
    Er what?? Monopoly doesn't appear in mine, even though I have it on the Playbook.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 08:43 AM
    Er what?? Monopoly doesn't appear in mine, even though I have it on the Playbook.

Posted via CB10
    Dunnno. Still shows available to me in BB World.
    11-10-14 08:44 AM
    It's also worth mentioning that with 10.3 Android apps work better than they ever did before.

Using Android apps is not a perfect solution, but I'm glad I have the option.

Posted via CB10
    jaydee5799 and LuvULongTime like this.
    11-10-14 08:45 AM
    Dunnno. Still shows available to me in BB World.
    Can you do me a favour and post a link to it? I want to see if it's been region disabled.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 08:46 AM
    Can you do me a favour and post a link to it? I want to see if it's been region disabled.

Posted via CB10
    EA brings Monopoly to BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

MONOPOLY for BlackBerry 10 - BlackBerry World

Edit: Actually, I seem to remember this as a Christmas gift from BlackBerry last year.
    Banco likes this.
    11-10-14 08:48 AM
    EA brings Monopoly to BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

MONOPOLY for BlackBerry 10 - BlackBerry World

Edit: Actually, I seem to remember this as a Christmas gift from BlackBerry last year.
    Interesting...
    'No apps' actually means no apps-img_20141110_145120.png

Thanks for that. I wonder why.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 08:52 AM
    I have observed it a lot that when somebody mentions that there are 'no apps' on his/her blackberry, people correct them by saying - you can download them by Snap or any other third party app store - which are basically somewhat broken android apps - why i say broken? - because they are not optimized(phone heats up, battery drains) for the OS or the phone screen dimensions.

Running android apps are no match to having Native 'Blackberry 10' OS experience, but blackberry doesn't seem to realize it. To make it worse, they are trying to push it deeper and deeper by providing more android apps via another 3rd party Appstore, that is, Amazon App store.

On one hand the platforms are trying to unify everything, by making everything available at one place - Play store, Apple app store, etc. - to give a better and more native experience - by providing developers with tools required to optimize the apps for the OS (graphically and operation wise),
    Blackberry is diversifying the experience more and more by allowing android apps to be stored in the phone - thereby giving users a lot more trouble in getting things done.

How does it feel to get shifted from a well located house at the best and most convenient locations of a city, to a remote rural place with no appropriate facilities? - that's exactly what a non-native experience feels like.
    Before this turns into a cluster fizzle which I know it will, let me just say I agree with you completely here OP. The app situation is very messed up on BlackBerry, but I don't mind since apps are not too big of an issue for me. But at the same time I'm not gonna lie about the platform by saying "oh I have all the android apps and they all run perfectly!"

I really want a lot of these people to define what perfect really is to them. Does lag mean it's perfect? Does not having any push notifications mean it's perfect? Does having to see the google services is required message pop up everytime you open the app considered perfect? Does having to use some work around to get something to half work mean it's perfect?

Imagine if you were a long time BlackBerry user then some android user tells you, "oh android is perfect! I can get all the BlackBerry apps I want on it, you just have to download this app called Crack to have access to the full BlackBerry world!" Excited you purchase an android device and download Crack to get all the BlackBerry apps you want. You download bbm but then you discover that it doesn't really connect properly to the server and that there aren't any push notifications. You also discover every single time you open the app it says "BBID invalid, please sign in"

The above is obviously a made up story, but it is essentially what is happening on BlackBerry. The app situation is an absolute mess and android apps are not fixing the issue here. If apps were at all important to me then BlackBerry would be the last platform I would choose. But they are not, the keyboard and hub is what suits my needs hence the reason why I am using one, but not for a second do I think we have a good ecosystem nor do I try and tell that to anyone else.

Posted Via My Passport From The Big T.O
    Last edited by pkcable; 11-10-14 at 11:50 AM. Reason: removed profanity
    11-10-14 09:24 AM
    The first thing that I would like to say is that we often forget how much functionality BB10 comes with right out of the box. Many things that we take for granted require a 3rd party app on the other platforms. The special apps that i need and use that aren't present in BlackBerry App World are replaced by either an Android App or the excellent BB10 browser. The Android apps that I use regularly work every bit as good on my Z30 as they do on my wife's Galaxy.

Perhaps some day things will change with native apps. For now IMHO, my Z30 gives me the productivity experience that I need. I appreciate that BlackBerry has given me the ability to run Android apps when I need to.

Posted with my Z30 on CrackBerry 10
    11-10-14 09:52 AM
    Android apps in generally is a battery drainer. They use most of the services for no reason.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.1016
    Not no reason. The main reason is to collect your data

Send from the amazing powers of the? ? Z30
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    11-10-14 10:01 AM
    Before this turns into a cluster fizzle which I know it will, let me just say I agree with you completely here OP. The app situation is very messed up on BlackBerry, but I don't mind since apps are not too big of an issue for me. But at the same time I'm not gonna lie about the platform by saying "oh I have all the android apps and they all run perfectly!"
    You can prevent the clusterfizzle by quoting even one person who makes this claim that you spend the next several paragraphs refuting. Specifically, who claims all Android apps run perfectly?

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pkcable; 11-10-14 at 11:53 AM. Reason: language
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    11-10-14 10:14 AM

You are absolutely right.

BB World has a very limited number of apps compared to Apple AppStore or Google Play. Google Play might have the highest number of apps, but AppWorld seems more concerned about quality etc. so personally I value AppStore as the best.

BB world has received around 200.000 (?) apps from one (1) vendor "S4BB" and a LOT of common apps are missing.

The Android Runtime was initially meat to be "an easy was for Android developers to port their app".
    One of the key features missing was support for "Native code".

BlackBerry observed the situation for quite some time while figuring out what to do and finally decided that Android apps was better than "little apps" and added support for Native code as well as a lot more fine tuning etc.

I agree: Apps and BlackBerry 10 is a mess compared to the Apple experience! BlackBerry World is great as it is, except it does not have many common apps (like banking apps etc). Snap is a fantastic invention, but due to Google, pushing developers to integrate with GSF it's often a hit-or-miss to install an app. Most luckily, works and others have to be patched with Lucky Patcher to work.

Let try to compare the steps in a best case and worst-case scenario.

Apple AppStore first:
    Search for app and click install. Done.

Snap best case:
    Open Snap
    Search click to download
    Click to open Android installer
    Click install to actually install the app.

Snap worst case:
    Open Snap
    Search click to download
    Click to open Android installer
    Click install to install (otherwise, .apk file will not be available)
    Find app and uninstall.
    Find Lucky Patcher open it and click 4-5 times to remove the dependencies.
    Find the .apk file and install it (perhaps it is possible directly from Lucky Patcher).
    At some point, delete the .apk file left behind from Snap as well as the patched file from Lucky Patcher.

Even though it is *possible* to get Android apps on a BlackBerry 10, the user experience is ... not so elegant.

The Amazon app store will help a lot:
    First, the apps are "pure" Android apps with no integration to Google Services (remember Android Kindle is also a pure Android solution).
    Secondly BlackBerry can allow a "single click and download" experience.

Therefore, BlackBerry 10 is now dependent on Android apps. All the resources spend on Cascades etc. are not utilized and it is my impression that some (not all) Android apps are draining the battery.

BB10 and native apps is not going to be key for BlackBerry in the nearby future.
    11-10-14 10:40 AM
    If I can find an Android app that works on my Z10, I do not lose any sleep over it not being elegant!!! Who cares about that nonsense, besides the 15 CB posters who will not use Android apps???!!!!
    ubizmo likes this.
    11-10-14 11:14 AM

Therefore, BlackBerry 10 is now dependent on Android apps. All the resources spend on Cascades etc. are not utilized and it is my impression that some (not all) Android apps are draining the battery.
    Some native BB apps also drain the battery. Be honest in your criticism.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    11-10-14 11:16 AM
    We have three BB10 phones, running apps from BlackBerry World, Snap and Amazon. All doing well. I think it is brilliant that BlackBerry came up with this solution.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    11-10-14 11:21 AM
    To be honest the zoomed out android apps are fantastic. I can see so much information it is crazy. I love it. That being said I do like native apps

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 11:22 AM
    Some native BB apps also drain the battery. Be honest in your criticism.
    And some of the Android apps that drain the battery and cause the device to overheat *cough*Waze*cough* do exactly the same thing on Android phones.
    11-10-14 11:26 AM

I tend to disagree with you...
    Originally BlackBerry made it so simple to install android apps because they wanted Developers from android to realize how well they're apps will run on BlackBerry 10 with little to no effort, so that these developers would make native apps.

Now BlackBerry has included the Amazon App Store because they just want the haters to shut up and stop saying that they're are no apps for BlackBerry 10.

BlackBerry's goal is to get people to develop native apps or at least port their apps to BBW.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 11:28 AM
41 12