Thanks Capt. but I'm not guessing.
    11-06-08 08:09 AM
    Do you believe Niagara splash will be more towards Q1 than Q2 or can you not be that accurate? Do you expect street prices on the Curve to drop once the STORM and BOLD (those leaving VZW to acquire) ship?
    11-06-08 08:31 AM
    First off, this post is in no way meant to disrespect or call anyone out, It's just my point of view.

If there's one thing that I've learned on forums, it's that there's always more rumors than fact. I hear alot of talking with no proof to back it up. Just because you test pre-released devices, doesn't mean you know jack about which provider is going to acquire it and what their release schedule is.

I asked a simple question and so far I haven't recieved a straight answer. Your right CX, I don't know you and not knowing someone tends to make one a little leery of info that doesn't contain any element of fact to back it up.

If the Niagara comes out on Verizon first, I will gladly and trustingly interpret every bit of Blackberry info that you divulge as absolute fact. Until then however, I will remain a skeptic and interpret it as rumor.
    11-06-08 01:42 PM
    Oh no no... I didn't think you were. I just meant I trust what you have to say...
    Last edited by GpCaptMandrake; 11-06-08 at 06:50 PM.
    11-06-08 06:48 PM
    First off, this post is in no way meant to disrespect or call anyone out, It's just my point of view.

If there's one thing that I've learned on forums, it's that there's always more rumors than fact. I hear alot of talking with no proof to back it up. Just because you test pre-released devices, doesn't mean you know jack about which provider is going to acquire it and what their release schedule is.

I asked a simple question and so far I haven't recieved a straight answer. Your right CX, I don't know you and not knowing someone tends to make one a little leery of info that doesn't contain any element of fact to back it up.

If the Niagara comes out on Verizon first, I will gladly and trustingly interpret every bit of Blackberry info that you divulge as absolute fact. Until then however, I will remain a skeptic and interpret it as rumor.
    CX is definitely trustworthy. He won't tell you where he's getting his information but he's never been wrong. He's not guessing; he actually knows. SnG apparently knows as well. A few months ago, he reported rumors of a new BB that would be a combination of the Bold and Storm. He was doubted and ridiculed, but his prediction was borne out after an internal RIM memo. These guys definitely know what they're talking about!
    11-06-08 08:52 PM

...and you and everyone else on here is entitled to their opinion and interpretation of what you read and experience over time. My guess is that if you were to peruse and review CX's past posts on this and other forums, you'll soon respect his statements. He exhibits scrutiny and discrimination of what he will or will not report on and to me his contributions are of great help and guidance on topics that most everyone else on this board can only speculate.
    11-06-08 09:54 PM
    No one can deny Crucial's credibility, so can we please move on and begin our speculation of the Niagara?!?
    11-06-08 10:05 PM
    Thanks...

I'm trying to figure out the best path I take today (being eligible for an upgrade now) knowing I'll want to own the Niagara when it arrives in Q1 or Q2 next year. I now own the LG8300 and want to get a BB yesterday to play with until I get the Niagara. I'd rather not buy a new CURVE today knowing I'll have to wait the extra 1/2 year after the Niagara ships.

One thought I had was if I use my upgrade to get the STORM, is it feasible that I'll find a new Niagara user wanting to swap with me? (risky I think). Maybe the safer less expensive route would be to hold onto my upgrade to use for the Niagara when it ships and find a used CURVE in the interim. I would guess the CURVES will come down in price after the STORM hits the streets. Thoughts?
    11-06-08 10:44 PM
    Guys, now that we've moved back on topic can anyone relate or share their opinion on my questions?
    11-07-08 10:21 PM
    I really hope the Niagara comes out Q1, but as we've seen with the Curve it will likely be a full year later from the GSM counterpart.
    11-08-08 09:40 AM
    I really hope the Niagara comes out Q1, but as we've seen with the Curve it will likely be a full year later from the GSM counterpart.
    The Niagara has no GSM counterpart. It's gonna be a CDMA device. Am I right CX?
    11-08-08 11:04 AM
    The Niagara has no GSM counterpart. It's gonna be a CDMA device. Am I right CX?
    Sort of but not really. The Niagara is the CDMA variant of the Bold. But it's also taking the place of the 8830 WE. So just like on GSM carriers you have the Bold and Javelin(8900). On CDMA there will be the Niagara and Jupiter, with the jupiter being the CDMA variant of the Javelin(8900).
    11-08-08 11:11 AM
    ....but there's currently no GSM version of the Niagara. Right?
    11-08-08 11:27 AM
    ....but there's currently no GSM version of the Niagara. Right?
    Not per say. The Niagara is CDMA's version of the Bold. The Bold is the GSM flagship with 3G technology, wifi, big screen, a lot of memory, etc. The Niagar will be the same for CDMA and at the same time take the place of the 8830 World Edition. So technically people could draw parallels if they wanted to.
    11-08-08 11:41 AM
    Thanks...

I'm trying to figure out the best path I take today (being eligible for an upgrade now) knowing I'll want to own the Niagara when it arrives in Q1 or Q2 next year. I now own the LG8300 and want to get a BB yesterday to play with until I get the Niagara. I'd rather not buy a new CURVE today knowing I'll have to wait the extra 1/2 year after the Niagara ships.

One thought I had was if I use my upgrade to get the STORM, is it feasible that I'll find a new Niagara user wanting to swap with me? (risky I think). Maybe the safer less expensive route would be to hold onto my upgrade to use for the Niagara when it ships and find a used CURVE in the interim. I would guess the CURVES will come down in price after the STORM hits the streets. Thoughts?
    I would wait until the Storm is released. Soon after, there will be a flood of used Curves and Pearls on Ebay. I know thats where my Pearl is going, unless I find a local buyer willing to give me a decent price. I should be eligible for my VIP upgrade on the 30th. I can't wait!
    11-08-08 11:58 AM
    Not per say. The Niagara is CDMA's version of the Bold. The Bold is the GSM flagship with 3G technology, wifi, big screen, a lot of memory, etc. The Niagar will be the same for CDMA and at the same time take the place of the 8830 World Edition. So technically people could draw parallels if they wanted to.
    Oh, ok. Thanks man.
    11-08-08 12:13 PM
    Sort of but not really. The Niagara is the CDMA variant of the Bold. But it's also taking the place of the 8830 WE. So just like on GSM carriers you have the Bold and Javelin(8900). On CDMA there will be the Niagara and Jupiter, with the jupiter being the CDMA variant of the Javelin(8900).
    Any idea when the Jupiter will be available on Verizon? I picked up a Bold demo this evening at Best Buy and to me I felt it was easier to type on the Curve. I understand the Niagara keyboard is a cross between the Curve and the Bold...in your opinion, is the Niagara keyboard a little easier or harder to type on? For that matter, now that you've played with the Niagara for awhile, how do you like it? Thanks.
    11-08-08 10:11 PM
    I would wait until the Storm is released. Soon after, there will be a flood of used Curves and Pearls on Ebay. I know thats where my Pearl is going, unless I find a local buyer willing to give me a decent price. I should be eligible for my VIP upgrade on the 30th. I can't wait!
    Thanks for your response... I might as well wait on the Storm (due in about a week I hear) although I'm not a fan of the touch screen interface. If I happen to really like it, this would simplify my situation big time. If I don't I can probably get a CURVE for much less to hold me over until the Niagara (or maybe Jupiter) ships. I can upgrade to a new CURVE today and would cost me $0, then buy a Niagara on the 1 year plan (Q2?), but this of course would throw out my abililty to upgrade to the next device for 20 months out.
    Last edited by bwhittemore; 11-08-08 at 11:15 PM. Reason: typo
    11-08-08 10:28 PM
    Quick question regarding Niagara/Jupiter. I Picked up a Javelin on Wednesday.... Love the phone omg but the T-mobile's network reception in my area, UMA/Wifi reliability, and BB technical support leaves a lot to be desired. With great sadness I must say the Javelin is going back to T-mobile next week. Can anyone in the know share their knowledge in particularly

1. Are both Verizon Niagara/Jupiter CDMA/GSM hybrid or Niagara (CDMA/GSM); Jupiter (CDMA only)

2. Are both Verizon Niagara/Jupiter be the same exact size/keyboard as 8900 Javelin or Niagara (Bold size); Jupiter (Javelin size)

If these questions were covered before I apologize but it gets really confusing to me. But I guess having choice is a good thing, no?
    02-15-09 10:48 PM
    Hi guys, I'm newbie bb user but I know a bit about buying anything at good price. It takes little time but U can do it. U wont cheap new 8320? Get on Craigs list and keep monitoring it.Monday trough Friday 9-5 is the best time(smart buyers and students are busy).People buy BB because they heard you can do anything with it but in reality for Joe 6 pack it will take 7 days to be able to make a phone call ,never mind the rest of BB capabilities. Joe (or Jayne) gets mad and he is getting rid of that f.....Posts it on craigs list and wants $50-100.After all he just got it for that much as an upgrade.(+ 2 year contract And he goes back to his old phone because he knows it and there was nothing wrong with it in the first place. I bought 3 BBcurves spanking new(I mean spanking new) for $50 to 100.
    02-21-09 12:29 AM
    My understanding is:

The Niagra keyboard is going to be similar to the Bold's. It is the 8830 replacement, so it will have the 8830/Bold keyboard (with frets). I believe the Niagra is going to be similar in size to the Storm.

If you like the Curve-style keyboard, then that style will be on the Curve, Javelin, and Jupiter. The Jupiter will be smaller than the Storm, probably the same size as the Javelin.
    02-21-09 08:34 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD