Hello All,

I am really looking forward to getting a BB and as much as I like the Curve, I don't mind waiting a reasonable amount of time for the next Curve-like device released for Verizon. (Niagara?)

Does anyone have a fairly reliable estimated date of delivery for the Niagara to hit Verizon US stores? After all I've read, this appears to be the phone I want. Although I'm eligible for an upgrade, I'll wait for the Niagara. In the interim I want to get a BB and would appreciate some advice as to where I can get a used one so I can get used to the OS. As it stands now I have an old LG8300... and it's killing me after having demo'd a Curve 8330 for a month. My hope is that they come down in price once the Storm arrives. Your thoughts and advice are appreciated. If the Niagara is 9 months out, I'll just move forward and buy a new Curve and then upgrade 3 months after. But I've heard some say the Niagara is expected to ship as early as February and others May of 2009.

Thanks for any info...
    11-05-08 07:54 AM
    I apologize if I placed this into the wrong forum. I assume I did. Can someone tell me where I should repost this?
    11-05-08 10:27 AM
    I work for the company that makes BlackBerry. I've not heard of any device named Niagara..are you sure you know what your talking about?
    11-05-08 11:01 AM
    I work for the company that makes BlackBerry. I've not heard of any device named Niagara..are you sure you know what your talking about?
    Are a janitor @ RIM or something?? You can't be serious. Where have you been

Well, the Javelin and the Storm pretty much share the same frame. The Storm is thicker than the Javelin, and the bottom of the Storm is a little different than the Javelin, but ultimately the same frame. It looks a though this will be an ongoing trend in the future. The Niagara is the CDMA variant of the Bold, with 8830 added in to boot. I 110% prefer the Niagara over the Bold and the Javelin.

@fergotmyid: The Niagara is taking the 8830's place.
    Last edited by ediggity; 11-05-08 at 11:22 AM.
    11-05-08 11:19 AM
    The Javelin is the next version of the curve. there is no device that is named niagara..perhaps you should check your sources as they are obviously incorrect
    11-05-08 11:30 AM
    The Javelin is the next version of the curve. there is no device that is named niagara..perhaps you should check your sources as they are obviously incorrect

as posted all over CB

Javelin =8900-GSM
    Niagara= 8930-CDMA

similar to the Storm-9500 and Thunder9530

and with a post count of 37 (meaning new) and a rude reply as you gave i hope you dont expect to be taken seriously as a RIM employee nor welcomed warmly here
    Last edited by Jstiner; 11-05-08 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added more to my reply
    11-05-08 11:40 AM
    I guess the people who RUN this site are wrong too??

BlackBerry Niagara Returns And The All New Apex? | CrackBerry.com

To add insult to injury...
    I can now say without a shadow of a doubt that the Niagara is one really nice device. Haven't really had a chance to do too much. Yet. As I do, I'll let you guys know what I can. So far, I'm really digging this device.
    No the Jupiter is the CDMA variant of the Javelin/8900 that will run on Rev 0. The Niagara is the CDMA version of the Bold and taking the place of the 8830 WE. Apex is CDMA pearl flip.
    Negative. Verizon has the Apex, Niagara, & Jupiter coming. That fills '09 up.
    I know you claim to work for the "company" that makes Blackberry, but you better ask somebody

Anyways back to the OP's question. RIM will have a bunch of phones coming soon. I used my NE2 on the curve back in May, and then found out about the storm, and now the Jupiter and Niagara. I'm still getting the storm because I want to try the touchscreen, and then go from there. These other devices will probably be good also. I say if you like the curve, try it and maybe switch later.
    11-05-08 12:13 PM
    I can't believe the gentleman from RIM has no clue to the many references of "Niagara" on this or other BB user forum sites. My guess is he simply doesn't work for or at RIM.

Anyway, back to topic please.

Anyone know roughly when Verizon will offer the Niagara in the US? I realize there's no crystal ball out there but If someone has an approximation it would help me decide to use my upgrade now to get a Curve or wait it out and get the upcoming replacement. If it's early 09, I'll try to find a used Curve. If mid to late 09, I'll buy new.

If I do decide to get used, what is the going price for the 8330?

Thanks in advance and the fellow smoking crackberry at RIM, please don't respond.
    11-05-08 08:18 PM
    According to CX on Hofo:

It should be Jan or Feb.
    Hope this helps
    11-05-08 08:29 PM
    Yes, I did see that post from CX...thanks. I was hoping I'd get more to chime in on this. But assuming that date is fair...

Where would you recommend I buy a used CURVE 8330 and what is a fair price? I'm thinking they might drop in price once the STORM is on the VZW shelves.

Thanks!
    11-05-08 08:43 PM
    Yes, I did see that post from CX...thanks. I was hoping I'd get more to chime in on this. But assuming that date is fair...

Where would you recommend I buy a used CURVE 8330 and what is a fair price? I'm thinking they might drop in price once the STORM is on the VZW shelves.

Thanks!
    The Niagara should release Q1-Q2 '09.
    11-05-08 08:48 PM

Thanks!
    You can always try here Marketplace or Ebay...A used curve should be around 150-200 full retail I think....
    Last edited by ediggity; 11-05-08 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Pricing
    11-05-08 08:49 PM
    The Niagara should release Q1-Q2 '09.
    Ok, thanks. I see some confusion as to which carrier will have this first and if there will be an exclusive. Verizon first?

I guess I'll hold out for this rather than lock myself down from here till Nov. 09.

If you know of someone that wants to sell their 8330 Curve....
    11-05-08 08:57 PM
    Ok, thanks. I see some confusion as to which carrier will have this first and if there will be an exclusive. Verizon first?

I guess I'll hold out for this rather than lock myself down from here till Nov. 09.

If you know of someone that wants to sell their 8330 Curve....
    Confusion? I've never seen anything but Verizon mentioned in regards to the Niagara. It will be Verizon's version of the Bold and will also take the place of the 8830 WE.
    11-05-08 09:02 PM
    The current rumor is that the Niagara is going to be a 90 day Sprint exclusive.
    11-05-08 09:21 PM
    The current rumor is that the Niagara is going to be a 90 day Sprint exclusive.
    And it's just that, a rumor. Not to mention it's not true.
    11-05-08 09:25 PM
    CX, you win the award for most quoted in a single thread!
    11-05-08 09:27 PM
    Confusion? I've never seen anything but Verizon mentioned in regards to the Niagara. It will be Verizon's version of the Bold and will also take the place of the 8830 WE.
    Here's where I found Sprint mentioned in connection with Niagara. (http://forums.crackberry.com/f70/new...51/index3.html)

After reading the news article posted below, I see NO reference to Sprint... I'll gladly go with rumor being a Verizon customer.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-nia...d-all-new-apex

Hey BDizzel,I just read the story and ur correct about the niagara.But the positive Is @ least we kinda know for sure sprint will have the exclusive and I feel that's big for us sprint users.I mean gives us something to look foward to.And he was able to let us know the javelin was coming 2nd qt.but good looking out on that story 4 sure.
    11-05-08 09:41 PM
    And it's just that, a rumor. Not to mention it's not true.
    How do you know? Do you work in development for RIM? Do you work for Verizon? Until the official info is released, everything we hear is just rumors.
    11-05-08 09:52 PM
    How do you know? Do you work in development for RIM? Do you work for Verizon? Until the official info is released, everything we hear is just rumors.
    I will not disclose my employer. You can believe what you want. Those who know me know I know what I'm talking about.
    11-05-08 10:09 PM
    With statements like this from RIM (maybe not) it's hard to know when you're being led in the right direction or decipher fact from fiction. That said, I've been lurking long enough on these boards to know that CX knows what he's talking about. CX, have you used the Niagara long enough to give a report?

What I started this thread for was to get suggestions and recommendations on getting a timeline for the Curve successor (I have that now), and help figuring out how and where to find a fair priced BB to hold me over while I wait. I've played with both the Curve and the Pearl and loved the OS experience. I preferred the full keyboard so whatever I pick up should have this. I'd go ahead and get a new 8330 Curve for $99 tomorrow but I know I'll want to get the Niagara when it comes out...yet at the same time not be able to justify the hundreds of dollars more it would cost me by getting it before my November 09 upgrade. I need a plan!
    Last edited by bwhittemore; 11-05-08 at 10:41 PM.
    11-05-08 10:34 PM
    I will not disclose my employer. You can believe what you want. Those who know me know I know what I'm talking about.
    I didn't say I didn't believe you, nor am I calling you out. I just want to know the source of your info and why your certain that Verizon will get it first.

It seems that every provider but Sprint has some sort of Blackberry exclusive. I'm pulling for the Niagara to go to Sprint first. Their due.
    11-05-08 10:51 PM
    Well... I used to work for a company that used to buy Blackberries. I've been told that the Niagara name is the weakest, lamest code name for any phone produced by Blackberry and, if it's going to be on the Verizon network, it should be there later than everyone expects.
    11-05-08 11:11 PM
    Well... I used to work for a company that used to buy Blackberries. I've been told that the Niagara name is the weakest, lamest code name for any phone produced by Blackberry and, if it's going to be on the Verizon network, it should be there later than everyone expects.

If the Niagara ends up coming out later than the end of Q2 as CX stated, I'll wish I had just gone ahead and purchased a new CURVE.
    11-05-08 11:35 PM
    I didn't say I didn't believe you, nor am I calling you out. I just want to know the source of your info and why your certain that Verizon will get it first.

It seems that every provider but Sprint has some sort of Blackberry exclusive. I'm pulling for the Niagara to go to Sprint first. Their due.
    CX is probably right now testing devices for RIM that haven't even been rumored yet. I'd trust his guesses before I'd trust other people's facts.
    11-06-08 07:37 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD