I picked up a Bold 9900 yesterday and was excited for the NFC technology it was sporting. (I couldn't let my brother in law have an NFC phone when I didn't!). While I am loving the Bold I can't see much of a use for NFC currently. I know uses are coming, but using them as a shortcut to launch apps doesn't seem like a shortcut to me. I know Japan/Europe uses NFC like crazy, but what about in North America??? Does anybody have good, everyday examples of NFC usage?
    02-28-12 09:48 AM
    Well, it looks like the lack of responses is the answer.
    02-28-12 06:02 PM
    I would LOVE to user my 9900 to pay with my MasterCard or Visa. I know it's capable but I don't know if it's adopted here well enough to use it.
    02-28-12 06:08 PM
    Examples.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GqD_olNY8Js[/YT]
    http://crackberry.com/how-use-nfc-tags-blackberry
    killa4luv likes this.
    02-28-12 06:11 PM
    It's supposed to be able to tap another nfc BB and transfer ur BBM info. Haven't tried it out yet.
    02-29-12 12:09 AM
    That's not much of a poster sign for the technology, IMO.

NFC simply isn't that useful here becuase it's not widespread enough. Hardly any stores support it. Plus, it's not a standard feature on smartphones yet. NFC devices have only recently began shipping and even in a given vendor's portfolio there are bother phones with and without NFC. There are BBs both with and Without NFC even the BB7 devices are fragmented in that regard. There are no current WP7 devices with NFC and the iPhone does not have it.

Half the Android phones shipping right now (really more than half, more like 90%) have no NFC chip in them.

Personally I don't want to use my phone as my credit card, either... Nor do I like the fact that they put the chips on the battery doors. It just encourages OEMs to use cheap or flimsy materials for that part of the phone...

Just me, though...

Things like BT 3.0/4.0 (many high end phones still don't even ship with 3.0), DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, and Stock On-Device HDR Camera Apps excite me more than NFC at this point in time.
    02-29-12 01:04 AM
    In the UK, Visa have Contactless Payments on Cards.
    I've used it once in a sandwich store in Birmingham as its the only place that I've seen any of the readers and I only used it out of curiosity.

I'm guessing with something like Blackberry Wallet then it would be possible to store the card details in your phone and scan your phone against the reader to debit the account for the purchase.

The Contactless Visa that I mentioned above is limited on the amount that you can spend in a single Transaction (for obvious reasons).

It will be interesting to see if NFC takes off in a big way
    02-29-12 06:11 AM
    It really depends of what country you're in, whether the government themselves are willing to push nfc technology. In my country, nfc for public transport will probably be up mid this year. Several banks are on the bandwagon as well to push out nfc for payments. Most banks are already implementing contactless payment terminal for vendors. Museums are starting to try and implement the use of nfc for more information for the exhibits. Though my country is tiny, its probably not as difficult to implement it nation wide as compared to bigger countries.

if you have enough friends with nfc enabled blackberry, sharing files can be done using blackberry tag.

Personally, public transport is the one that could draw a more widespread adoption, IF more companies put nfc on their phones. nokia is a huge supporter of NFC, you can see their Nokia Play speakers and Nokia Luna bluetooth headset. IF, the new iphone is equipped with NFC, we would probably see a more widespread adoption of it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-29-12 06:34 AM
    There was a blog post about this a while back - you can probably find it if you do a quick search. Here are some examples...

Hop in your car to go to work - tap a NFC tag on your dash board - your phone goes into handsfree mode and connects to bluetooh.

Get into your office - tap another tag - sound profile changes - bluetooth turns off - wifi turns on.

Getting ready to go into a meeting in a conference room - tap a NFC tag on your way in - turns your sound profile to vibrate or silent.

Have your phone sitting on your nightstand at night - if you need to get up tap a tag on your nightstand and your flashlight app turns on.

Lots of uses for it.
    02-29-12 07:20 AM
    RBSC Banned, this was only his second post. I'd like to see the first
    Edit: Maybe I did.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 02-29-12 at 07:29 AM.
    02-29-12 07:26 AM
    RBSC Banned, this was only his second post. I'd like to see the first
    Edit: Maybe I did.
    I'd guess the ban had something to do with his name, and not his posts.
    02-29-12 07:36 AM
    NFC simply isn't that useful here becuase it's not widespread enough. Hardly any stores support it.
    Just outa curiosity, where are you referencing as "here"? I see RFID credit card readers in a large majority of the stores in Denver.
    02-29-12 07:42 AM
    I'm guessing with something like Blackberry Wallet then it would be possible to store the card details in your phone and scan your phone against the reader to debit the account for the purchase.
    The idea of all my credit info being on my phone scares me. We lose phones or have them stolen. If we're in a car accident, they can be left behind while we're transported to the hospital. I can picture us becoming greater crime targets, just so robbers can grab our nfc phones and our credit card info. Even if it's encrypted, I doubt it'll take too long for encryption to be broken.

And there's going to need to be personal info included, just so those with disabilities or seniors get appropriate discounts. By the time we get done, we have a very real opportunity to open ourselves for identity theft.

And do we let all the places we buy from know all the cards we have? And possibly others near the terminal we're using, as we select which card to use? Or do we bloat our phone with additional code to allow us to decide before swiping it, still possibly allowing others a view of the screen? And, since nearby readers can scan our info, what protection do we get in the midst of the transaction?
    Last edited by kraski; 02-29-12 at 08:16 AM.
    02-29-12 08:10 AM
    The idea of all my credit info being on my phone scares me. We lose phones or have them stolen. If we're in a car accident, they can be left behind while we're transported to the hospital. I can picture us becoming greater crime targets, just so robbers can grab our nfc phones and our credit card info. Even if it's encrypted, I doubt it'll take too long for encryption to be broken.
    That's why there's an option for a virtual card which acts like a prepaid card which you have to fund and replenish yourself from one of your actual cards. None of your actual credit card info needs to be on your device when you do it this way. So even if somebody manages to decrypt it, or guess your PIN, you've only lost the limited amount you had in it. It's no less secure (and somewhat more secure) than somebody stealing your wallet.
    02-29-12 08:24 AM
    That's why there's an option for a virtual card which acts like a prepaid card which you have to fund and replenish yourself from one of your actual cards. None of your actual credit card info needs to be on your device when you do it this way. So even if somebody manages to decrypt it, or guess your PIN, you've only lost the limited amount you had in it. It's no less secure (and somewhat more secure) than somebody stealing your wallet.
    That's better. But we tend to carry more and more information on our phones. Which puts them and us at greater risk. It's been shown that a "reader only" nfc device can be feet away from the chip instead of inches. So much for security based on distance.
    02-29-12 10:01 AM
    I agree with you OP, I feel the same way. I think the NFC technology is too early to adapt to because they're isnt much use to it yet. Like if I were to use the NFC feature, I'd mainly use it to make payments when buying stuff instead of pulling out my credit/debit card. I know it will grow in the future and I see it being successful but it's way too early here in North America mainly because there aren't any companies supporting this features for example MasterCard and Visa when making a payment at stores and what not.
    02-29-12 10:46 AM
    At the Blackberry Innovation event yesterday, they had NFC-enabled business cards where all you did was tap it against the back of your Blackberry to launch a webpage link. It is certainly easier than QR codes which were also slow off the mark but which seem to be more common now.
    02-29-12 02:28 PM
    NFC will take off in the UK and Europe after the Olympics. The Olympics will be the first major even to have most places within the Olympic village and kiosks in and around the events that will use them Orange has teamed up with Samsung to give Tocco phones to the athletes I believe as a way of tracking them in and out of the village and at key events. marketing tools will be used heavily using NFC and as we see with QR codes they will end up everywhere. The four major networks in the UK have signed a coalition to help role NFC our properly with Vodafone going with Visa this summer to launch a prepayment system to buy products and services with your NFC phone upto the value of 15 then you would need your pin for more expensive purchases.
    I think it's going to be a good few years though before you see a massive infrastructure like NFC in major stores.
    03-01-12 08:01 AM
    The idea of all my credit info being on my phone scares me. We lose phones or have them stolen. If we're in a car accident, they can be left behind while we're transported to the hospital. I can picture us becoming greater crime targets, just so robbers can grab our nfc phones and our credit card info.

It is easier for criminals to take our wallet and abuse it than our smart phones.

Our plastic credit cards are stored on secure chips. Our virtual credit cards will also be stored on secure chip in the smart phone.

2 big differences:

1- On the BlackBerry there is a highly secure OS that can turn off NFC if the device is locked (if it is not locked after set time the BB will automatically get locked).

2- It happened to me once when I forgot my credit card in a restaurant. I didn't know that until 3 days passed and when I wanted to use my card again.
    If I forget my BlackBerry somewhere I sure will know it within max an hour.
    03-01-12 03:29 PM
    There was a blog post about this a while back - you can probably find it if you do a quick search. Here are some examples...

Hop in your car to go to work - tap a NFC tag on your dash board - your phone goes into handsfree mode and connects to bluetooh.

Get into your office - tap another tag - sound profile changes - bluetooth turns off - wifi turns on.

Getting ready to go into a meeting in a conference room - tap a NFC tag on your way in - turns your sound profile to vibrate or silent.

Have your phone sitting on your nightstand at night - if you need to get up tap a tag on your nightstand and your flashlight app turns on.

Lots of uses for it.
    The blog you are referring to can be found here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...as-all-659273/
    03-01-12 03:30 PM
    nfc is just catching on in the UK, but it's already very big in countries like Turkey

You don't need to have a factory built nfc phone - you can buy an nfc adaptor
    that is paper thin and fits behind the battery (this is the most common option in Turkey)

The way nfc works in the UK is that you load money onto nfc wallet (usually up to a max of 150 eg approx $200) and you can only use the phone for individual purchases of up to 15 (eg c.$20)

Would you normally walk round with more than 150 ($200) in your wallet? If you lose your phone then it will be similar to losing your wallet....

As far as I am aware, all of the nfc enabled phones in the UK, require the device to be unlocked to make an nfc purchase - this makes it less likely that thieves will target the phones for the nfc-cash (of course, the thieves will still target the phones for the phones themselves....)

Unfortunately Orange UK still haven't organised making it possible to load cash onto the BB9900, but I live in hope.... (two friends have non-BB nfc-phones, and they assure me that it makes buying take-away coffees whilst chatting on the phone much easier)
    03-01-12 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD