Here I am, forced with the looming fact that I have to find a new phone -- fast. My little crap phone just isn't cutting it. Android phones and iPhones were always on my list of phones to consider bur after realizing the glitches of iPhones and the fact that there's a new Android coming out every time I turn around, I'm not sure I wanna go that route. I thought about it and started to consider the Blackberry, although it seems like everyone else on the world has forgotten about it. But that's just it. I worry that the died down buzz of the BB is reflective of its functionality. I wonder if I would be better off buying something that is always renovating and evolving. Also, I'm a young buyer and from the things I have read and seen, I worry that owning a BB would make me look uninformed and out of date.

I don't care about applications, I rarely use the 60-something I have on my iPod touch as is.
    I take a lot of photos with my phone as I no longer have a functioning camera.
    Also, surfing facebook on my phone is important to me, as well as checking out any other little websites on my phone.

I would simply like for someone to inform me of the honest good, bad, and ugly of this brand of phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 12:38 AM
    Here I am, forced with the looming fact that I have to find a new phone -- fast. My little crap phone just isn't cutting it. Android phones and iPhones were always on my list of phones to consider bur after realizing the glitches of iPhones and the fact that there's a new Android coming out every time I turn around, I'm not sure I wanna go that route. I thought about it and started to consider the Blackberry, although it seems like everyone else on the world has forgotten about it. But that's just it. I worry that the died down buzz of the BB is reflective of its functionality. I wonder if I would be better off buying something that is always renovating and evolving. Also, I'm a young buyer and from the things I have read and seen, I worry that owning a BB would make me look uninformed and out of date.

I don't care about applications, I rarely use the 60-something I have on my iPod touch as is.
    I take a lot of photos with my phone as I no longer have a functioning camera.
    Also, surfing facebook on my phone is important to me, as well as checking out any other little websites on my phone.

I would simply like for someone to inform me of the honest good, bad, and ugly of this brand of phones.

The good: Excellent push email, BBM (if you use that), great battery life, the physical keyboard (for me, anyway).
    The bad: Very slow browser (at least the native browser on OS 5.0.xxx), limted apps (compared to iphone and android)
    The ugly: The glacially slow pace of official updates.

Having said all that, I use my BB for basically the same reasons you do. My apps are primarily financial. I text a lot, talk (on the phone) moderately, and respond to emails. The BB meets my needs perfectly, and I have better battery life than either the iphone or android phones.
    01-06-11 12:51 AM
    Don't buy a phone based on how it "makes you look".
    The native browser on OS6 is much better than OS5.
    From what you posted, I would suggest you start by looking at the Torch 9800, or Bold 9780.
    Read some other threads, try to play with a few BlackBerrys, but ultimately make your own decision based on what you think is best for you.
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 01-06-11 at 01:05 AM.
    01-06-11 01:01 AM
    The good: Excellent push email, BBM (if you use that), great battery life, the physical keyboard (for me, anyway).
    The bad: Very slow browser (at least the native browser on OS 5.0.xxx), limted apps (compared to iphone and android)
    The ugly: The glacially slow pace of official updates.

Having said all that, I use my BB for basically the same reasons you do. My apps are primarily financial. I text a lot, talk (on the phone) moderately, and respond to emails. The BB meets my needs perfectly, and I have better battery life than either the iphone or android phones.
    However in OS6 the browser is so much more refined and runs so much better and quicker speeds. One thing that always keeps me with Blackberry is the simplicity of emails allows the experience for the emails almost untouchable by any other OS. I have never had issues setting up emails with a BB, but always find that Android and iOS has issues setting up some of mine.
    01-06-11 01:03 AM
    However in OS6 the browser is so much more refined and runs so much better and quicker speeds. One thing that always keeps me with Blackberry is the simplicity of emails allows the experience for the emails almost untouchable by any other OS. I have never had issues setting up emails with a BB, but always find that Android and iOS has issues setting up some of mine.
    Duly noted. That's why I put the qualifier in parentheses.
    01-06-11 01:07 AM
    I get tired of having to charge my phone several times throughout the day so I really love that the battery life is good. I need email on my phone to be more simple because lately I've had to wait until being close to a computer to check any emails. It's just entirely too frustrating to check on my phone right now. I have heard that BB's are slow, glitchy, and freeze often as well, but only a select few have said that. Have any of you expirienced that?

01-06-11 01:20 AM
    Personally I have had experience like that but its usually either too many apps or loaded a leaked OS that was not that great to begin with. Either way it all depends on how you use it. Lately I try to keep apps to a minimum and time to time delete unnecessary emails and texts.

More recently no freezes or anything. If it freezes it might be once in every few months for me
    01-06-11 01:25 AM
    Get any of the following 2 new phones:

1) BlackBerry Bold 9780

Fetures:

624 Mhz. Processor
    512 MB RAM
    High resoltution screen
    5 Megapixel Camera
    GPS
    Trackpad
    The best physical keyboard, nice, rigid, and well define buttons so you will never miss a button.
    High Battery life (1 - 2 days battery life with moderate to heave usage)
    WiFi
    OS 6 preinstalled

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BlackBerry Torch:

624 Mhz. Processor
    512 MB RAM
    Larger screen screen
    5 Megapixel Camera
    GPS
    Trackpad
    Tourch Screen + slide out physical keyboard
    WiFi
    OS 6 preinstalled

---------------------------------------------------------------------

To know which one of them to buy, try them out at the store.

The only thing the Bold Excels in is the keyboard and battery life, otherwise they are identical and the Torch has a large touch screen if you're into touch screen devices.
    01-06-11 01:25 AM
    I really like the bold. The torch looks nice as well but I usually don't like touch screen phones that have an included slide out keyboard. I'm farely apt at texting on touch screen so the keyboard would never be used. I like how the bold's lettering is very close. It looks as if I could text one handed if needed.

Last edited by vanitas_moral; 01-06-11 at 01:47 AM.
    01-06-11 01:44 AM
    I really like the bold. The torch looks nice as well but I usually don't like touch screen phones that have an included slide out keyboard. I'm farely apt at texting on touch screen so the keyboard would never be used. I like how the bold's lettering is very close. It looks as if I could text one handed if needed.

You are absolutely right vanitas.
    01-06-11 02:03 AM
    What about any cute little things that the BB may have? I know that the Droid has something where it flashes a seperate color for different people if set that way. It's obviously not a dealbreaker but I can't help but be enamored by often overlooked little things like that

01-06-11 02:09 AM
    I'm in agreement, if you like a physical keyboard, get the 9780, but keep in mind every app you add to the phone will slow the reboot process down and you can only have so many apps, so if apps is something you'll have a decent amount of, anyone else will tell you this is not the way to go, if you keep your apps to a min, then you should be fine

I personally have had no experience with OS6.. but i do know the browser is better, and it's been a known fact that the battery in the bold rocks...

it comes down to preference, and it's obvious what mine is, do yourself a favor and go into a store a couple times and play with what you think you'll want.. and ultimately make a decision and you have a 30 day test drive with it

don't like it.. exchange it
    01-06-11 02:45 AM
    What about any cute little things that the BB may have? I know that the Droid has something where it flashes a seperate color for different people if set that way. It's obviously not a dealbreaker but I can't help but be enamored by often overlooked little things like that

Yes a lot of people type one handed on the 9700/9780

And yes BerryBuzz will allow you to set the led to flash a different colour for different people.
    Custom LED color, repeating audible alert and vibrate for
    - E-Mails
    - SMS/MMS
    - Calls
    - BlackBerry Messenger (BBM)
    - E-Mails, SMS and Calls from SPECIFIC CONTACTS
    - Missed Calls, PIN Messages, Level 1 Messages, Calendar, Tasks, Coverage Indicator, Battery Low, Battery Charging, Battery Full
    - AIM, AP Mobile News, BerryReader, BerryWeather, BeejiveIM, Blaq, crunchSMS, eBay, Facebook, GoogleMail, GoogleTalk, GoogleVoice, ICQ, instango, IM+, Kik Messenger, MSN Messenger, MeterBerry, myKite, MySpace, Nimbuzz, OS 6 Social Feeds, OpenBeak, Pingchat, pMessenger, Pocket Informant, Skype Mobile, SocialScope, Trillian, TweetGenius, Tweetissimo, Twitter, Ubertwitter, Viigo, Whatsapp, Yahoo! Messenger, YouMail
    12 rapid flashing DISCO COLORS will draw even more attention to your phone
    Create an unlimited number of CUSTOM LED COLORS
    STACK 2 LED COLORS for even more color variations
    LED flashing is fully customizable and can be set to automatically stop after a specified interval to save battery life
    Mute all LED flashing and reminders at night
    Optimized for minimum battery and memory usage
    Many more!
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 01-06-11 at 03:56 AM.
    01-06-11 03:53 AM
    Had the 9700 with OS5, had the 9700 with OS6 leak, have the torch right now.

Had to get used to the torch kb but I am typing as fast as on the bold. At first it is a bit strange, but now since I am used to the torch the bold feels strange. So all a matter of getting used to something..

Had everything before. iphone 4, several android devices, palm pre and so on.

What makes me stick to the bb?
    - Huge battery life. Even on the torch 2 days. On bold had 2,5 days. Other devices: max 1 day.
    - Notifications: BB the only device having visual notifications (colored led) and brilliant notification system built in the os. Other devices: max is seeing that samething happened, but what? No chance.
    - email push is extremely fast, extremely reliable
    - extremely fast searching for emails, calender entries, contacts. Just Type!!
    - apps is not my main goal. Don't need like 600 fart apps.

I missed surely a few things. But thats basically it.

It's quite simple.. BB is a tool, others are toys.
    01-06-11 04:30 AM
    It may be beneficial to mention that I have Sprint and the Bold they have is a 9650. What's the difference from this to the aforementioned 9700 and 9780?

Last edited by vanitas_moral; 01-06-11 at 04:56 AM.
    01-06-11 04:46 AM
    ?

01-06-11 02:24 PM
    If you are on Sprint, consider the Style 9670, unless you have a total aversion to flip phones. That is the "latest and greatest" Blackberry, and I think it has BB OS6 installed. I'm not sure where the Bold 9650 fits into the spectrum of Bolds
    01-06-11 04:48 PM
    I get tired of having to charge my phone several times throughout the day so I really love that the battery life is good. I need email on my phone to be more simple because lately I've had to wait until being close to a computer to check any emails. It's just entirely too frustrating to check on my phone right now. I have heard that BB's are slow, glitchy, and freeze often as well, but only a select few have said that. Have any of you expirienced that?

The vast majority of BlackBerry work perfectly out of the box.

Forums are a convenient outlet for those looking to vent frustration, but they are a highly distorted view of reality.

01-06-11 05:25 PM
    I have a torch on the way .
    01-06-11 09:26 PM
    Now you could get the Torch 9800, but that would mean going to AT&T. I personally don't think it's worth switching phones for a carrier (hey, you can get Torchs on O2, T-Mobile, Orange, and 3 over here). Exclusitivity doesn't seem to happen anymore here in the UK for BB. But the iPhone lost it after 6 months as well...
    01-06-11 09:54 PM
    Run away from BB as fast as you can! Nothing new on the horizon and the current selection is booty.
    01-06-11 09:59 PM
    Run away from BB as fast as you can! Nothing new on the horizon and the current selection is booty.
    Don't listen to him!
    Jake Storm and Reed McLay like this.
    01-06-11 10:03 PM
    Don't listen to him!
    Prove me wrong.
    01-06-11 10:06 PM
    Nothing new on the horizon ...

Prove me wrong.
    I think you be eating those words, soon.
    01-06-11 11:14 PM
    Don't listen to Tucker...dude is old and bitter, yet acts like a teen or a disgruntled worker. He is anti-blackberry everything...why, who knows. I think he likes to see his words typed out...

9650 is a good phone, not the newest, but solid. Basically same as 9700, but more memory...and some other small advantages.

Also believe now the 9650's are shipping with os6 from Sprint as well.

The Style would be cool if it wasn't so god-awful ugly.

Honestly, I would go to the store and test out what interests ya. Rather it be a berry, Android or whatever.

Good luck!

01-07-11 12:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD