I am new to this forum and to the blackberry world. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with:
    I know that I can set up filters on my blackberry web site but am I only limited to blocking certain e-mail addresses? Is there a way to block e-mails that have certain words in the text? Can I use a partial address to block (example: all e-mails from @joeblow.com)?

I work from home and am in front of my laptop most of the day. Is there an easy way to stop all messages from coming to my blackberry when I am at by desk but can then can do something to have them resume when I am away?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Mitch
    01-30-09 09:30 AM
    After re reading your post I am not sure I can answer. What I was going to suggest it sounds like you tried and I have not messed with the BIS filters or keyword filters to much so I will just say welcome to CrackBerry!! Good luck.
    Last edited by Tremortality; 01-30-09 at 09:43 AM.
    01-30-09 09:39 AM
    You can turn your data OFF while you're at your desk and only have phone or you could use the Gmail app and just close it when you don't want email coming in. You could forward most any mail to a Gmail account.
    01-30-09 09:57 AM
    I don't know of any software that will block emails pertaining to certain text within the email. Apps like black-white list will allow blocking phone numbers that you select. I'm not sure if Empower (or email apps like it) includes this feature or not.
    Last edited by BlackBerryBob; 01-30-09 at 10:04 AM.
    01-30-09 10:02 AM
    I believe the "From field contains" section is what you are looking for.

FROM THE BIS HELP GUIDE:
    New mail arrives:
    Set whether the email message filter applies only to new email messages.
    A high-priority mail arrives:
    Set whether the email message filter applies only to email messages with high importance.
    From field contains:
    Specify the email address that the email message filter should search for in the From field of email messages. To create a specific email message filter, type an email address. To specify that the email message filter should search for all email messages that contain specific text, type part of an email address. For example, type dianne for email addresses that start with "dianne," or type wilhelm@blackberry for email addresses that contain "wilhelm@blackberry." To forward or block email messages from multiple contacts, separate each email address with a semicolon (.
    Subject field contains:
    Type the text that the email message filter should search for in the subject of email messages. To specify that the email message filter should search for all email messages that contain specifc keywords, type part of a keyword. For example, type re for keywords such as "request," "regarding," and so on.
    To field contains:
    Specify an email address that the email message filter should search for in the To field of email messages. The address can be your email address or another email address. If the email address belongs to a mailing list, the email message filter will not block email messages from the mailing list unless you create another email message filter for the email address of that mailing list.
    CC field contains:
    Specify an email address that the email message filter should search for in the CC field of email messages. The address can be your email address or another email address. If the email address belongs to a mailing list, the email message filter will not block email messages from the mailing list unless you create another email message filter for the email address of that mailing list.
    Forward messages to device:
    Set whether the email message filter forwards email messages that meet the criteria to your BlackBerry� device.
    Header only:
    Select this check box to forward only the subject of the email message to your device. You can download the content of the email message after you open it.
    Level 1 notification:
    Select this check box to forward email messages with high importance to your device.
    Do not forward messages to device:
    Change this option to stop email messages from being forwarded to your device.
    Last edited by bribears; 01-30-09 at 12:28 PM.
    01-30-09 12:26 PM
    bribears - I was not sure if I could put in something other than the first of the address. The example say to type in dianne for emails addresssess that START wiht dianne. I will try entering @xxxxx to see if I that will work.
    01-30-09 01:43 PM
    I haven't played with filters so I'm not positive. BUT, when I read the help file it made it sound like any text string found in an email address and just used "diane" as an example.

Let me know if you'd like help testing....you could put a filter in for "bears" and I'll send you a test email.
    01-30-09 01:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD