Hi everyone,

I've been reading this site for quite a while and am quite impressed with the quality of discussion and the maturity, objectivity and patience of the average user here. Compared to some other forums out there, this forum is a breath of fresh air.

That being said, I a basic question. I'm a current iPhone 3gs owner about to jump ship to blackberry for SEVERAL reasons.

I figure bb is a better fit for me because of the the following reasons:

I HATE iTunes.
    I want a better phone with GOOD reception like my old razr. This iPhone sucks here.
    I want a physical keyboard.
    I want adjustable system font size. Aging eyes.
    I want profiles back.
    I want to be able to use my phone as a USB drive.
    I want decent notifications. (I'd love the red light on a bb).
    I HATE iTunes.
    I don't do a lot of web browsing on my phone. I use my PC for that.
    If a game takes more that 30 seconds to learn, I'm not interested, brickbreakers sounds like my style.
    I want better battery life.
    I use my phone for mainly emails and texting and phone calls. No streaming anything.
    I just need the basic apps, GPS, aroundMe app equivalent, skype, docs to go sounds nice, maybe a few simple games, etc.
    The apple UI is nice but I've been using and programming computers for 30 years and a menu-driven os doesn't bother me or slow me down.
    Did I mention that I HATE iTunes?

I am interested in the 9900 when it comes out or possibly the GSM update to the curve (dont remember the number). What I'm considering is purchasing a current model for now from craigs list cheap and save my upgrade. I usually don't buy a device when it's first released. I like to wait a month or two, so I'd likely be using the device I purchase off craigs' list for about 3-4 months if the new devices release in August.

My questions is: I have the option of purchasing a brand new, never used 8900 for $120 or a good condition 9700 for $160. I'm leaning toward the 8900, just because it's new and I want to keep this transaction as cheap as possible My son-in-law had a 8900 that I played with for a few minutes and I liked it. My question is is the extra $40 worth it for the 9700 or is there that much difference in the functionality of the two? I'm not worried about no 3g on the 8900 as I use wireless at work and home and don't stream anything. I'm just want to be sure there's no major functionality that I might miss out on by going with the 8900.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
    06-29-11 02:52 PM
    Spend the extra $40 and get the 9700. You can take advantage of the latest OS 6 version RIM has to offer. This brings along increased functionality & simple ease of use with more up to date features than you can get with the 8900. This is my honest opinion. It's definitely worth the extra 40.
    06-29-11 03:00 PM
    9700 hands down
    06-29-11 03:00 PM
    9700 for sure. 8900 doesn't even support 3G.
    Tedley24 likes this.
    06-29-11 03:03 PM
    Definitely the 9700 over the older 8900. You get OS6, better keyboard (personal preference), more memory/processor speed and the trackpad over the trackball.
    Tedley24 likes this.
    06-29-11 03:05 PM
    9700!

Trackpad and OS6. Says it all.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Tedley24 likes this.
    06-29-11 03:06 PM
    Well, in my books newer is always better :-)

That being said:
    The 8900 is a solid device, that will run OS5 at best. Not much internal memory (for apps) and a trackball (they are notorious for sticking)

The 9700 is also a solid device, more memory, and a trackpad. It can also run OS6.

I'd say go for the 9700, but that's just me. If you really are on a tight budget, the 8900 will due until your 9900.

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com

(Wow, you guys all replied while I was typing :s )
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Mark PPG; 06-29-11 at 04:44 PM.
    Tedley24 likes this.
    06-29-11 04:33 PM
    If the $40 is not crucial to you, go with the 9700, both models are great ones, but the 9700 will give you a better heads-up OS-wise as to what BB OS7 will bring.

Make sure to read the forums about upgrading it to OS6 to make sure you know the pros and cons about it. For example: http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/upd...-first-530398/
    Tedley24 likes this.
    06-29-11 07:44 PM
    All other things being equal, if you can spend the exra $40, the trackpad vs. the trackball alone is worth it. I have slightly less regard for the trackball than you do for Itunes.
    Tedley24 likes this.
    06-29-11 09:42 PM
    So that whole iTunes thing isn't working for you, then?
    I'm with everyone else the $40 is worth it ofr the 9700. The only caveat that I'd make is that you try the trackpad first, there are some who don't like it or can't get used to it. The track ball isn't without it's own share of problems, but I got used to it more quickly than I did the track pad.
    Tedley24 likes this.
    06-29-11 10:31 PM
    As a stopgap device, the 8900 is adequate, at best for the time being. As you don't seem to be hindered by keeping up with the latest, a new 8900 is nice to use, for a while.

For my money, I'd go 9700, primarily for the trackpad and 3G capability, but the device I use gets quite a workout. And, honestly, I prefer the Bold-style keyboard now.

Plus, OS 6 is available, which is a win-win.

Tedley24 likes this.
    06-29-11 10:47 PM
    As a current owner of a trackball- and trackpad-driven blackberry (9000 & 9650) you'll be faced with much less problems with the 9700. The trackball causes too much headache when it starts sticking.

The trackpad is well worth the extra $40.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Tedley24 likes this.
    06-30-11 12:02 AM
    For the reasons that the OP said, I would say the new 8900 would be a good buy. It has the same memory as the 9700, plenty to run a lot of apps on OS 5. Because price is a factor, the price is obviously a plus. It's a new phone so the trackball would be fine for the next 6 months.

BUT the 9700 would be easier to sell off 3-4 months from now when the 9900 comes out so that's a big plus.

Tedley24 likes this.
    06-30-11 12:28 AM
    Wow!!! Thanks for all the sage advise. I think I'm gonna go with the 9700. All the track-ball-leery comments helped persuade me. After I get my water wings, I hope to be able to make like contributions. Thanks again!!!
    06-30-11 08:12 PM
    After u get the hang of it, and upgrade to OS6, go the extra mile and try a hybrid OS...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/wh...hybrid-574162/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/whats-hybrid-613998/
    06-30-11 09:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD