I'm thinking in buying for myself a Curve 8520, but I do not want to have a data plan.
    If so, can I install through wi-fi some apps than don't require the Internet, like dictionaries, agendas, games, etc?
    And those that require internet (like the weather), can they just use wi-fi?

Thanks...
    Jorge
    12-14-10 10:51 AM
    I belive most carriers will detect that you've got a BB and want to force you to a data plan. Also, you won't get MMS messages without one if that is a consideration.
    12-14-10 10:57 AM
    Many applications can only be installed over the air which requires a data plan.

Some applications that require data will work over WiFi without a data plan, but most will not.

Also many carriers will require you to have a data plan regardless.

What carrier will you be using?
    12-14-10 11:14 AM
    Many applications can only be installed over the air which requires a data plan.

Some applications that require data will work over WiFi without a data plan, but most will not.

Also many carriers will require you to have a data plan regardless.

What carrier will you be using?
    It's a Portuguese carrier, TMN.
    12-14-10 11:20 AM
    Well, the first thing you should do it to contact them and verify that you can have an active BlackBerry without a data plan. From what I have observed, most of the European carriers will not require a data plan.

But be aware (as noted above) many things will not work without a BlackBerry Data Plan even over WiFi.

Notably, push email, the BlackBerry Browser, BlackBerry Messenger, BBMaps, the Twitter app, the Facebook app, all the Instant Messenger apps (Yahoo, Windows Live, Google Talk, AIM), all the Google apps (Google Sync, Google Maps, etc), most (if not all) of the weather apps.

None of those will work without a BlackBerry Data Plan.

Also, as far as installing apps, in order for you to be able install apps over the air, you need to have access to the BlackBerry Browser (which you won't), so you will have to search for apps that have a Desktop Installation option. Some do, however, increasingly many do not.
    12-14-10 05:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD