Im a newbie to all of this so bare with me, i replaced my old phone and bought the blackberry 8830 for sprint yesterday and love it so far, i have the sprint 99.00 anytime plan, unlimited minutes, text, data etc. I tried using the usb cable provided to use my phone as a modem thru bluetooth or just as a dial up to my laptop but theres seems to be some lock on the phone that prevents this from being done. Do i still have to pay the extra 15 bucks , i would think that i have unlimited everything it would include this no? Would love some pointers on whether or not this is possible and if so how, thanks for your help...
    04-10-08 10:17 AM
    Cmon guys and girls dont fail me now.
    04-10-08 04:53 PM
    You may have to sign up for a tethering plan with Sprint.
    04-10-08 05:06 PM
    Using BlackBerry As Modem - BlackBerryFAQ

IMPORTANT:
    Other Models Than Listed Above: There is no modem built in. However, you can use third-party modem software called Shark Modem ...[/url]
    If this information is accurate, the 8830 does not have the built in ability to function as a modem. The list may not be up to date because it does include the base 8800 model.

edit: Checked the specs for 8830

Modem
    RIM� wireless modem
    Tethered modem capability
    Last edited by Stoner; 04-10-08 at 05:22 PM.
    04-10-08 05:15 PM
    i think this is the few extra options the 99 plan on sprint don't include. not sure i remember reading something about this

Sprint Nextel | Phone as Modem Plans

it don't say nothing about blackberries but its an addn'l cost i belive
    Last edited by wabbit; 04-10-08 at 05:36 PM.
    04-10-08 05:31 PM
    To my knowledge, an SMS, Data + Email plan will not provide you with Surf features.

Inquire about getting a surf feature on your account. Also, make sure to download their connection manager, or "Tethered Data" software. Or, alternatively, find the USB drivers for your phone, then do an Internet Connection Wizard on your laptop*.

I am pretty sure you're going to need to know the dial-up user name and password though. Again, probably issued upon purchasing the Surf feature.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by MrBB; 04-10-08 at 05:34 PM. Reason: *laptop
    04-10-08 05:32 PM
    I have been able to get it to work.

You need download and install the Sprint PCS Connection Manager.
    www4.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/support/downloads/index.jsp?internalId=downloads

I had to call and have them enable the feature. I don't have the same plan as you so I am not sure if there is an additional charge.

I have used mine a few times while traveling and worked just fine.
    04-10-08 07:00 PM
    I have been able to get it to work.

You need download and install the Sprint PCS Connection Manager.
    www4.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/support/downloads/index.jsp?internalId=downloads

I had to call and have them enable the feature. I don't have the same plan as you so I am not sure if there is an additional charge.

I have used mine a few times while traveling and worked just fine.
    Well i tried downloading it fromthe phone but an icon pops up that says forbidden, you are not allowed to access this feature, it seems to me they have all their bases covered.
    04-11-08 10:35 AM
    I received the same error message when attempting to download from my 8830. I was able to download from my laptop connected through my home network.

However, once installed it does not seem to work. It attempts to connect, then disconnects and I receive a Mobile Broadband: Connection Error stating my user and password may be incorrect. It tells me to contact Sprint customer solutions if problem persists. 1 888 211 4727, error 67.

I am guessing that this means something needs to be activated because I was never prompted to enter user and password. I am at a conference and will not be able to contact them until later today.
    04-14-08 10:20 AM
    Welcome to CB!!!!!!
    04-14-08 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD