So, i don't have a BB... yet. I'm looking into getting the Pearl 8130 (I'm on Verizon, FYI).

How does the billing work for data? I have had another smartphone with Verizon (a PPC6700, aka Apache). I've been reading around the forums, trying to gather info, but i'm still pretty confused. Who is providing my data/email/internet? Is it going to be Verizon, or RIM? I've heard of something thats a provider's "BIS" page, where you can manage different settings... is this provided thru RIM, or Verizon, or some combination thereof?

I'm just very confused on the whole data access issue of BlackBerries in general. Can someone explain it, or link me or something?

Sorry for being a noob... thanks in advance.
    01-12-08 07:41 PM
    Data is billed through your carrier but it is managed by both parties. Same with the BIS.
    01-12-08 07:58 PM
    RIM makes the product. Verizon will supply your data for email and internet. On the BIS webpage, you will be able to manage email accounts and settings and send service books when you need to restore or switch devices.
    01-12-08 08:00 PM
    I had verizon (they like to overcharge and the metro coverage kinda sucked). Did you read the article on "does verizon hate blackberry?". They should have a blackberry data plan which will run you about $20 a month plus your call plan. But it will include push email and browsing services. And you should pony up the extra cash and get a curve.
    Hope that helps, good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-08 08:07 PM
    So basically i'm paying $30/month to Verizon, but because its for a BB device, i get access to the BIS area, where i can do all the fun mail forwarding/etc i've been reading about?

Or do i have to pay VZW some monthly fee PLUS pay RIM some monthly fee? THis is the way my coworker said it works (tho he admittidly doesn't know much about BlackBerries).
    01-12-08 08:09 PM
    You only pay VZW.
    01-12-08 08:10 PM
    I had verizon (they like to overcharge and the metro coverage kinda sucked). Did you read the article on "does verizon hate blackberry?". They should have a blackberry data plan which will run you about $20 a month plus your call plan. But it will include push email and browsing services. And you should pony up the extra cash and get a curve.
    Hope that helps, good luck!

I like the Pearl for its size... i really want something small and sleek. My old 6700 was a brick, and so to me, the Pearl is a good compromise of size + all the good smartphone apps i love.

Oh, and you say the data plan is only $20?? I used to have one (agian, with my 6700) that was $45... and i just read a post on here saying its now down to $30... but you're saying $20! Was that a special promo or something?
    01-12-08 08:10 PM
    I don't know. I have t-mobile for several years now. That's their charge for the service.

01-13-08 07:48 PM
    Thanks. I got my Pearl today... and it all makes sense now. It was different than my other data plans in the past and that was what was catching me off guard.

Now i'm an official BlackBerry owner! YaY!
    01-14-08 06:40 PM
    Congrats,hope you are as happy with your bb as the rest of us are with ours,i know you will.
    01-14-08 06:51 PM
    congrats! i love my pearl, i'm sure you will too.

verizon's data is $30/month unlimited access for email and internet (includes the push email, like w/ gmail). text is extra. t-mobile is $20. i've had my berry about a month now and have not had any coverage issues - always able to get internet and calls. and i kind of live in the country.

you're right, the pearl is a great berry. it's small, which i like about it, though some people must have the full keyboard. you'll get used to the suretype feature in no time. i think it actually helps me type faster b/c it learns what words you use most and you don't have to always finish typing, for instance, a long word.

you've come to the right place! i am still learning how powerful this little berry is, and what all it can do. i'm amazed how much technology fits into such a nice sized device. i love the fact that i can post pics to my blog with it, and the camera does a great job.

hang around and learn a lot! have fun. download free wallpaper and ringtones. keep checking mobile.blackberry.com for free games (like blackjack). and above all else, enjoy your new pearl!!!
    01-15-08 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD