Hi all,

Im a a converted WinMo user that has had his HTC Touch PRO exchanged for a BB Bold. Now, I am delighted to say that ergonomically this is the best phone I have ever tried and I have tried a lot of them.... BUT

these wifi applications are SO frustrating. Few days ago I was able to use FCB application over wifi AND cell network, updated the OS to 4.6.x and now it only works over "data plan" (BB im guessing) which I dont have.

Gmail doesnt work over regular gprs (non BB data plan) and it used to before the upgrade

Gtalk never worked nor does it now. I tried googleing JiveTalk but cannot download it anywhere as it redirects me to BeeJive web. And there it says that I must have BB data plan in order to use it

I installed EQO and tried chatting with my Gtalk pals, it works, but I see cell carierr icon in upper right corner and arrows indicating transfer. What was I chatting over? WiFi (It was turned on)? Gprs?

Mundo - I dont know wheather to download it or not,as now Im REALLY confused by all this....

BOTTOM LINE:
    - I need email app (Gmail) that will work both over WiFi AND regular gprs (non BB)

- I need IM ap that will work both over WiFi and Gprs and NOT charge my as SMS for every chat I send to Gmail chat

- willing to pay for the licences :-)

Can someone please direct me in the right way? Many greets from Croatia!
    03-23-09 04:43 AM
    Dobro jutro ;-) Can't help with your problems in detail. Have you set the APN for your carrier as this is needed by some 3rd party apps...
    Really popped in to say hi, the wife is from Split originally, where are you based... We go every summer with the kids. Beautifull place. Welcome to crackberry too!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 04:54 AM
    Hehe :-) Dobro jutro!

Yes I have set the APN as I use Tele2 network in Croatia :-/ ... Hm, I really dont understand why doesnt it work. It was so simple with the HTC, you have one application and it works over WiF when youre connected, and over gprs when you're not. Simple as that...

Im in Zagreb, where are you? :-) Yes Croatia is beautiful indeed....
    03-23-09 05:01 AM
    We're in the UK but the wife takes the kids home in the summer for a couple of months each year to catch up with family and to get some sun (which we lack in the UK).

Hope you get your problems sorted out. The FAQ and 101's are a good place to check and there's loads about wifi in there. Also the 3rd party software/support forums.
    Search functions pretty usefull too as long as you're specific.

People generally are pretty helpfull and there are some very knowledgable people post here so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before someone can help.

03-23-09 05:09 AM
    You have it set for wifi preferred in mange connections - mobile network options?

03-23-09 05:13 AM
    Thanx for the reply mate! ;-) yes, I have read some of the articles and I consider myself quite an experienced smartphone user, but BB is giving me headaches. I simply cannot understand wha there is no simple choice of gprs/3G/HSDPA vs. WiFi for all the applications that require internet to function properly.

Internet is internet, no? :-)

I cant seem to find this option "wifi preferred" ?
    Cheers!
    03-23-09 06:26 AM
    I cant seem to find this option "wifi preferred" ?
    Cheers!
    It's under "manage connections" on my Curve...

03-23-09 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD