I have a Blackberry Curve and am not 100% sure what I can and cannot do for free with it. Is WiFi that I use at home makes it completely free to browse Internet on BB including all possible data downloads? Can I download Google Maps via WiFi and will it cost me anything?
    01-03-08 01:04 PM
    I have a Blackberry Curve and am not 100% sure what I can and cannot do for free with it. Is WiFi that I use at home makes it completely free to browse Internet on BB including all possible data downloads? Can I download Google Maps via WiFi and will it cost me anything?
    Recieving data, to the handset, requires a data plan. So, yes, you will be charged. Without a plan, you might as well buy an offline PDA. Or, resign yourself to using your blackberry as a paperweight and coleco handheld game playing thingy.

Not sure why people think they can get a free lunch, these days...
    01-03-08 01:08 PM
    Don't be harsh
    I am in Canada and we do not have unlimited data plans with Rogers, and your plans in USA are not even nearly comparable to what we pay here for data and voice.
    I got a WiFi BB exactly so I can minimize the costs associated with data usage. What is the point of WIfi then if it is same as using the browser provided to me by Rogers?
    When I use laptop with Wifi, I do not pay anything for downloads, so why should I do so with BB?
    01-03-08 01:33 PM
    Don't be harsh
    I am in Canada and we do not have unlimited data plans with Rogers, and your plans in USA are not even nearly comparable to what we pay here for data and voice.
    I got a WiFi BB exactly so I can minimize the costs associated with data usage. What is the point of WIfi then if it is same as using the browser provided to me by Rogers?
    When I use laptop with Wifi, I do not pay anything for downloads, so why should I do so with BB?
    Didn't mean to be crass. Sorry, if it came across that way.

Unfortunately, there is nothing free about cell phones. You have to pay, to play..so to speak. This is a cell phone, not a laptop

Edit: well, there is something free about cell phones... 911 service, calculator, games. Sigh.
    01-03-08 01:40 PM
    Ok, then I probably should have made my original question as follows "Please can someone explain what is the point and advantage of WiFi technology in BB?"
    01-03-08 01:42 PM
    Ok, then I probably should have made my original question as follows "Please can someone explain what is the point and advantage of WiFi technology in BB?"

I would imagine being able to cruise, downtown, and connect to the LAN at WiFi hotspots. Or, connecting to your LAN at home. Don't think it was intended as a bypass to service charges. I doubt, very seriously, they would have intended it that way. Businesses, and all you know...
    01-03-08 01:51 PM
    Lol, I was so hoping it was to bypass service charges Seriously, our plans here are outrageous. I need to move to USA.
    01-03-08 01:54 PM
    Lol, I was so hoping it was to bypass service charges Seriously, our plans here are outrageous. I need to move to USA.
    Yeah, you guys get raped, but oh well. Don't feel too badly. There are people that use ATT, here. On average, their prices are about 25% higher than any other carrier So, there are people willingly getting raped in the states Well, to be fair, they may have no choice due to coverage limitations.

Like Kurt Valequin of Information Society once said: ATT, CNN, ATT, CNN ATT, CNN...MCI.

Bleh, they own half the damned world, now.
    01-03-08 01:57 PM
    thank you for taking time to explain Wifi. Now I don't even know if I can afford Blackberry
    01-03-08 02:02 PM
    you should beable to surf the net with no bb plan just wifi. i think you can rip out your sim card and surf the web, to be sure your not getting charged.

you will have to chang a browser option and, i dont know what it will be called with out the bb browser. just be sure your on wifi browser.

the wifi is mainly intented for tmobile @home. but i do know my dada uesage went down about 30 mb this month. ill try to take out my simcard and hop on wifi when i get home tonight
    01-03-08 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD