I've never owned a "smartphone" - all I do with my cell/mobile phone is answer calls from "she" who must be obeyed and some immediate members of my family (I'm retired).

However, I LOVE BB!!! I think I'd like to have a Z10 and use it like a portable computer for net surfing (in my own wifi equipped home or public wifi place). - AND - I'd like it to still get and send phone calls... I can't see my self downloading anything other than phone calls when not in a wired place - so I don't think I need any of the so called "data" plans..or do I just not understand how the little beastie actually works.

Can anyone direct me to a simple primer - or - perhaps give me a quick answer - if there is one? Thanks in advance.
    03-13-13 06:25 PM
    Welcome to CB!! There are some amazing people here that will provide tons of help and great links for you - videos, tutorials, all you need. I am not one of them but I can tell you that the more you use it the more you will want to use it.
    Elite1 likes this.
    03-13-13 06:30 PM
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    Please update your profile to include your carrier and location. And of course add your device there too... when you have it! This info makes it easier for others to help you.

With so-called legacy BB devices, you needed a BB-specific data plan (called BIS) to make many functions work, even if you only wanted to use them with Wi-Fi.

With the new BlackBerry10 OS which is used by the Z10, no such BB-specific plan is needed.
    So you could potentially have no data plan, then only use the data features over Wi-Fi.

One problem might be your carrier if you're looking to buy your new Z10 on a contract. They probably require a certain minimum monthly to get your subsidized purchase price.
    If you're looking to buy your Z10 outright, then you shouldn't have a problem.
    03-13-13 06:34 PM
    elite1 - many thanks.

So basically I just buy the phone "off contract" and then get a 10 buck a month call plan and I can surf all I want (assuming I'm on a wifi I can access). I assume it'll be about $650 to buy outright. "She" W.M.B.O. (who must be obeyed) should let me spring for that...
    03-13-13 07:10 PM
    Again, welcome to Crackberry. Before you make your decision, you may like the Q10 with the physical keyboard. Do a little reasearch on here, there are many threads on the pros and cons of both devices. Never be afraid to ask a question we are all here to help.
    03-13-13 07:13 PM
    Thanks dangerousfen - I feel part of the family already - say now that we're family anyone loan me $650? I promise I'll pay you back on Tuesday....
    Elite1 likes this.
    03-13-13 07:33 PM
    Thanks dangerousfen - I feel part of the family already - say now that we're family anyone loan me $650? I promise I'll pay you back on Tuesday....
    That's the wrong question. I'm broke and also retired. Anyway, ask sbe who must be obeyed.
    03-13-13 08:05 PM
    elite1 - many thanks.

So basically I just buy the phone "off contract" and then get a 10 buck a month call plan and I can surf all I want (assuming I'm on a wifi I can access). I assume it'll be about $650 to buy outright. "She" W.M.B.O. (who must be obeyed) should let me spring for that...
    My pleasure!

Might I ask your location & carrier, please?
    03-13-13 09:29 PM