With all the texting I do, I am wanting to get some IM software installed. I have read about the app from blackberry, yahoo messenger, a few more.. but have some very general questions....

• Do all parties you IM have to have the specific software installed?
    • If they have no IM software installed, how do they receive the message? As a text? Or it doesn't get delivered?
    • I guess I want to use it if it's a conversation going back and forth... much easier than text back and forth...but not sure how the transition at the time would work...

tks
    03-18-09 10:24 AM
    For an IM to work the other party must have an IM client also. IMs work mobile to mobile, OR mobile to PC, etc. The key is that the other person have the IM client on their device (phone, pc, etc) AND that they be on your buddy list. There are IM clients you can get that support multiple IM systems, for instance, Instango supports, BBM, Yahoo, MSN, AIM and ICQ, all thru the same interface.
    03-18-09 10:28 AM
    They need to have the application installed (ie. Yahoo Messenger,) have an account for that service and be logged in to it (in general) to get the messages.
    03-18-09 10:30 AM
    For an IM to work the other party must have an IM client also. IMs work mobile to mobile, OR mobile to PC, etc. The key is that the other person have the IM client on their device (phone, pc, etc) AND that they be on your buddy list. There are IM clients you can get that support multiple IM systems, for instance, Instango supports, BBM, Yahoo, MSN, AIM and ICQ, all thru the same interface.

^Yeppers, Rich is correct. So, make sure your buddies have the IM app your are thinking of going with. Otherwise, you may be get a bit lonely.
    03-18-09 10:34 AM
    With all the texting I do, I am wanting to get some IM software installed. I have read about the app from blackberry, yahoo messenger, a few more.. but have some very general questions....

• Do all parties you IM have to have the specific software installed?
    • If they have no IM software installed, how do they receive the message? As a text? Or it doesn't get delivered?
    • I guess I want to use it if it's a conversation going back and forth... much easier than text back and forth...but not sure how the transition at the time would work...

tks
    If your looking for a good IM program for BB i use IM+ it works vary well for AIM and yahoo I use it all the time
    03-18-09 10:50 AM
    If you try to send someone an AIM message that doesnt have AIM loaded, of course they're not going to get it.

DL IM+. You'll get what you need.
    03-18-09 10:53 AM
    You can also try BeeJive. Very popular, very nice all in one IM App. And it's much much cheaper than IM+, with all the same features.
    03-18-09 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD