Now I'm really getting sick of all these new trackballs I'm buying. The die after about a week. NO MATTER WHAT. The original that came with the phone (although very dirty) Still rolls likes its brand new. All these after market ones are just junk!

Can anyone tell me a place I can buy GOOD quality trackballs? Color don't matter, white would be fine. Black if possible...lol

Thanks
    02-07-10 09:21 PM
    Is the phone still under the year manufacturer warranty? I've heard good things amazon and ebay if you pay attention to if it's true oem or not.
    02-07-10 09:27 PM
    Ebays where I've been getting them from but, not to offend anyone (they're all from Hong Kong :/) So it's not the greatest quality....Haven't tried amazon...
    02-07-10 09:28 PM
    You just have to make sure it's real OEM like this one and cnn.cn is pretty good too.

BlackBerry 81xx/83xx/88xx/9000 OEM trackball - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories -
    02-07-10 09:34 PM
    Which part of the chinese trackballs is bad quality? Would it be good to use a chinese ball with the OEM spindles?
    02-07-10 09:36 PM
    ??? You can change the ball itself??? No, I change the whole assembly...
    02-07-10 09:53 PM
    Yeah I dismantle my assembly to clean the four plastic spindles. The ball causes them to spin.

Beware that they are very small plastic parts with a magnet at one end. You can take the metal off the assembly and the ball drops out. Then you can take off the plastic spindles and clean them (just like an old ball mouse but smaller and more complex). I read that its possible to damage the subtle shape of the plastic spindles (they have thin grips running down them - maybe the chinese ones aren't as well formed?). It took me a while to see the grips with all the gunk I had on them.

I rubbed mine with (fairly rigid) folded tissue paper and it worked well for getting original performance back. Can't get the ball to look new though, that's why I ask
    Last edited by flop; 02-07-10 at 10:03 PM.
    02-07-10 09:58 PM
    I have always had good results with ordering from BlackBerryTrackballs.com.
    02-08-10 06:35 AM
    I got good trackballs from both cnn.cn and mini suit(amazon) with my color trackballs for 8330 and they come with the ring as well
    02-08-10 06:57 AM
    cnn.cn sells nothing but junk!!i had ordered from them a new trackball as someone on this forum suggested. after a month and a half waiting for it, returning them 2x, i can say that it is not worth it to go hk and to stay with oem!!!!

cheers!
    02-08-10 12:12 PM
    I have always had good results with ordering from BlackBerryTrackballs.com.
    always? - how many times did you replace it?

My 8800 still uses the original and it works perfectly. I cannot imagine what its like for those who have posted about replacing their assemblies every few months (or weeks in some cases). The only thing that bothers me is that mine has discoloured slightly. Even so, I'm not willing to swap it for a ball that needs frequently replacing.
    Last edited by flop; 02-08-10 at 10:22 PM.
    02-08-10 10:19 PM
    Good balls are worth their weight in gold.
    02-08-10 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD