That's what I was saying... I don't mind too thin. When they were holding it at CTIA, they said it was too thin. I want thin and functional.
    Last edited by Jayden0606; 05-05-08 at 01:40 PM.
    05-05-08 01:36 PM
    That what I was saying... I don't mind too thin. When they were holding it at CTIA, they said it was too thin. I want thin and functional.
    i agree - BUT - i still am curious as to the differences between the prada vs the vu.
    05-05-08 01:39 PM
    From what I can tell, nothing.

05-05-08 01:49 PM
    so again my question.. why would they release two identical phones? makes no sense to me.....
    05-05-08 01:52 PM
    heh, it's pretty but my BB gets the job done
    05-05-08 01:54 PM
    so again my question.. why would they release two identical phones? makes no sense to me.....
    It isn't that they are releasing two identical phones, it's just that the same phone can be rebranded when sold under different carriers.

For example, the HTC Kaiser is sold under At&t as the Tilt or the 8925, but when sold unlocked, it is called the Kaiser or the TyTN II. This may not be the best example though, because the unlocked versions are slightly different than the At&t branded version.

A better example would probably be the LG Rumor. It is sold as the Rumor under Sprint, the Scoop under Alltel, and the UX-260 under US Cellular. Three different names for the same phone.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 05-05-08 at 02:13 PM.
    05-05-08 02:10 PM
    I dont understand why everyone says the iPhone was a cop off of the Prada phone.

The Prada Phone was one of the first original strictly Touch Screen phones out there to hit the market-

BUT-

Just because it was the first touch screen phone doesn't mean the iPhone was a cop off.

First off- When was the iPhone originally Announced? Its been in the works for a while.

Secondly- How many things does the iPhone do that the Prada Phone doesnt?

The Prada Phone originally was a very stripped down version of the iPhone.

The iPhone has XX amount of patents, and multi touch stuff (Whatever the Tech terms are).

This is like Henry Ford suing all other Car companies because they "Stole" His car concepts.

Each car company has a different motor, specs, horsepower, etc.

Sure they may be cars, and they may look the same, but whats under the hood will be different.
    05-05-08 02:16 PM
    I dont understand why everyone says the iPhone was a cop off of the Prada phone.

The Prada Phone was one of the first original strictly Touch Screen phones out there to hit the market-

BUT-

Just because it was the first touch screen phone doesn't mean the iPhone was a cop off.

First off- When was the iPhone originally Announced? Its been in the works for a while.

Secondly- How many things does the iPhone do that the Prada Phone doesnt?

The Prada Phone originally was a very stripped down version of the iPhone.

The iPhone has XX amount of patents, and multi touch stuff (Whatever the Tech terms are).

This is like Henry Ford suing all other Car companies because they "Stole" His car concepts.

Each car company has a different motor, specs, horsepower, etc.

Sure they may be cars, and they may look the same, but whats under the hood will be different.
    Because the overwhelming majority will look at the image of the Prada phone, the fact that it is touch only, and the way its menu is icon based; then will compare it to the iPhone, and either call the Prada a rip off, or the iPhone a rip off. The masses rarely look at specs and judge off of appearance alone.
    05-05-08 02:27 PM
    i agree. consumers generally don't look at the specs of phone. and really, if you think about it... if you have a phone that relies solely on a touch screen, well, theres only so much you can do with that concept regarding design. so the phones are bound to look alike. doesnt mean one is a rip off of the other, companies are just very limited as to what they can do with a sole touch screen phone.
    05-05-08 02:39 PM
    It isn't that they are releasing two identical phones, it's just that the same phone can be rebranded when sold under different carriers.

For example, the HTC Kaiser is sold under At&t as the Tilt or the 8925, but when sold unlocked, it is called the Kaiser or the TyTN II. This may not be the best example though, because the unlocked versions are slightly different than the At&t branded version.

A better example would probably be the LG Rumor. It is sold as the Rumor under Sprint, the Scoop under Alltel, and the UX-260 under US Cellular. Three different names for the same phone.
    hmm. i do understand this concept; however, ok so basically the only difference between these phones is the carrier. all right.... well, the vu is for at&t. the prada phone is also for at&t. so why release, for all intents and purposes, the same exact phone for the same carrier??? ya know??
    05-05-08 02:46 PM
    To me, neither are rip offs, technology was heading in that direction anyways. It was all about which one was going to get there first.
    05-05-08 03:12 PM
    hmm. i do understand this concept; however, ok so basically the only difference between these phones is the carrier. all right.... well, the vu is for at&t. the prada phone is also for at&t. so why release, for all intents and purposes, the same exact phone for the same carrier??? ya know??

The Prada isn't for AT&T. It is the unbranded version for LG. The AT&T decided they wanted to call it the Vu and called it that.
    05-05-08 03:14 PM
    The same concept applies to different regions as well. In the US we have a video game called Resident Evil, the exact same game is called Biohazard in Japan (just an example).

Companies will often brand the exact same device with different names depending on where it is being sold. The Prada may be a GSM phone, but it has never been sold through retail stores in the US, so most people won't even know about it, or that it is is the same as the Vu.

It is just a marketing strategy that allows a company to release a year+ old phone as new and charge a premium price for it.
    05-05-08 03:16 PM

The Prada isn't for AT&T. It is the unbranded version for LG. The AT&T decided they wanted to call it the Vu and called it that.
    this phone actually is for at&t. although i feel rather stupid arguing with you because you work for at&t, im gonna have to.
    this phone is unlocked and, as per all ads and articles, is strictly for t-mobile and at&t. hence my confusion as to why at&t would have the prada phone AND the vu when they are pretty much the same thing.
    Last edited by jenaywins; 05-05-08 at 03:28 PM.
    05-05-08 03:26 PM
    this phone actually is for at&t. although i feel rather stupid arguing with you because you work for at&t, im gonna have to.
    this phone is unlocked and, as per all ads and articles, is strictly for t-mobile and at&t. hence my confusion as to why at&t would have the prada phone AND the vu when they are pretty much the same thing.
    Technically, it is an unlocked GSM phone that will work with any GSM SIM using carrier that runs on the same three frequencies. At&t and T-Mobile are just the two big ones in the US and for that reason, the ad is probably singling them out.
    05-05-08 03:33 PM
    good point craze.... the articles i read did specifically mention at&t and t-mobile and thats probably why.
    05-05-08 03:37 PM
    Nothing to interesting here

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-08 03:41 PM
    My girlfriend wanted the prada for a while I got her a pearl instead and she loves he blackberry lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-08 03:55 PM
    Exactly what Toon stated... Since Verizon and Sprint are CMDA carriers, no one would be able to purchase the Prada and use it on those two networks.

Phones that are made for a specific carrier will state "exclusive" and not for a certain period of time. For example, the blackjack was an AT&T exclusive. It was made exclusively for AT&T.
    05-05-08 03:57 PM
    so basically i would need to switch to a gsm carrier to have this phone... is it just me, or are the cdma carriers a little behind the times..???
    05-05-08 04:05 PM
    Not behind, but more carriers are on the gsm networks. Most phones are really made for European networks, hence why the Prada is Tri-band (900/1800/1900mhz and doesn't have the U.S. 800mhz.) Since the U.S. uses 1900mhz, you are able to use it in the U.S. The only thing is that it doesn't penetrate through walls/buildings as good.

Manufacturers realize they can put there research into making an unlocked phone on the GSM network and users will buy it.

While I'm saying this, there goes your difference. The AT&T version is Quad-band.
    05-05-08 04:12 PM
    Not behind, but more carriers are on the gsm networks. Most phones are really made for European networks, hence why the Prada is Tri-band (900/1800/1900mhz and doesn't have the U.S. 800mhz.) Since the U.S. uses 1900mhz, you are able to use it in the U.S. The only thing is that it doesn't penetrate through walls/buildings as good.

Manufacturers realize they can put there research into making an unlocked phone on the GSM network and users will buy it.

While I'm saying this, there goes your difference. The AT&T version is Quad-band.
    thanks for all your responses... i guess perhaps this phone wouldnt be the best thing to go with huh.... eh.
    05-05-08 04:17 PM
    Depends on your needs... I like the phone... I'm pondering on whether on not I want to get it.
    05-05-08 05:01 PM
    Depends on your needs... I like the phone... I'm pondering on whether on not I want to get it.
    well, you have 30 days to return it id assume, right? may as well give it a try. OR - i dont know if you guys do this - like i said my mom works for verizon and they can take any phone as a "test" phone that verizon offers as employees and use them for a certain amount of time. if at&t lets you guys do that, just try it out!
    05-05-08 05:50 PM
    I have the PRADA phone, and just switched it for a Pearl, and I am MUCH happier. The Prada phone is beautiful, but after some usage the OS became slow, and the touch screen is sometimes unresponsive. I also found that many of the features of the phone do not work with American carriers. ( I used AT&T..) My web browser, Email, and MMS did not work on the American network. As well I also had a very weak signal everywhere I went. I recently took a trip to south africa, and used my phone with VodaCom, and found it worked much more efficiently there. After A while Texting became a drag, and I realized that touch screen is not the way to go. Overall the phone is beautiful, and an eye catcher, but I don't believe that it was worth the price. Rather get an iPhone, or stick with the BlackBerry.
    05-07-08 02:37 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD